Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So what does your kitchen want for Christmas?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:08 pm

Probably not this (clickable link). :)

So what, then, will make your holiday, whichever one it is you celebrate if not Christmas, complete? Nothing here on my end--this may be the first year that I don't have a single kitchen item on my wish list. The other day I saw a copper All-Clad at TJ Maxx and didn't even feel pangs of desire! [/url]
Last edited by Jenise on Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

Re: So what does your kitchen want for Christmas?

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:22 pm

On a more practical level...Pasta roller for the kitchenaid. On a more fanciful level...new "Capri Limestone" Silestone counters.

Richard
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:27 pm

My kitchen wants a complete makeover and a new house to reside in.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 28, 2007 6:48 pm

A new range top, oven, and refrigerator.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:55 pm

My kitchen wants a Le Creuset 9.5 qt. oval dutch oven (Red) I don't have one large enough for braising 8 or 9 lamb shanks at once, which I'd like to be able to do.
That's about it. I actually don't have a place to keep that dutch oven, should I get it, except maybe on top of one of the cabinets. I need to clear out some obsolete kitchen gear...
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:06 pm

A new toaster over...mine is about 12 yrs old and only cost $30.00 back that. It still works, but is looking in a very sad state I'm afraid. Unfortunately, all the toaster ovens that I've seen are 3 times the size and have all these ridiculous features. I use my toaster oven every day (as does hubby from time to time) so I need something very simple/easy to use. Any suggestions :) ?
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:07 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:My kitchen wants a Le Creuset 9.5 qt. oval dutch oven (Red) I don't have one large enough for braising 8 or 9 lamb shanks at once, which I'd like to be able to do.
That's about it. I actually don't have a place to keep that dutch oven, should I get it, except maybe on top of one of the cabinets. I need to clear out some obsolete kitchen gear...

That was the other thing at TJ Maxx that had me thinking I should be drooling over, but wasn't (maybe I just wasn't in the mood to shop). Didn't even look at the price. I hadn't seen the big oval oven before, and I can see why you want one--this one was the flame color.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:53 pm

I am in love with Le Crueset. I bought a 6.5 qt. oval Dutch Oven in Florence OR this fall, and a 3qt. oval Dutch Oven two weeks ago. They are fabulous, clean up is a breeze, cooking is amazing. Not sure which one I want next - will have to go look. By the way, I got the red, really sexy!
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:55 pm

Jenise, your link cracked me up. I'll bet that set has it's own infomercial.

I bought my kitchen's Christmas present before Thanksgiving. Went into Williams-Sonoma to buy a cranberry mold, and to see if they had Cipriani pasta (no!) and came out with an Oxo Mandoline.

You know what my kitchen needs though? Some nice dessert dishes that also could be used for fruit or yogurt in the morning.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:00 pm

My kitchen wants new owners who don't mind dogs barking at 7 AM, squeeky swingsets, dogs barking from 3- 6 PM, screechy pre-schoolers at midnight on warm summer evenings. Interested parties may PM me here.
Wm
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Leslie D.

Rank

Wine geek

Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:40 pm

by Leslie D. » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:29 pm

Only kitchen thing I can think of (besides a total makeover) would be a whisk with a thermometer in the handle. It would be so handy for things like buttercream.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:35 pm

Ines Nyby wrote:My kitchen wants a Le Creuset 9.5 qt. oval dutch oven (Red)...

That's on my mother's list, and the same color.

Not sure she'll be getting it from me however..
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:10 pm

Somebody to do the cooking and clean up afterwards. :roll: Seriously, maybe a nice set of dishes. All I have is 25 year old Corelle in two different patterns. But then, I'd have to get a nice hutch to put them in, which, of course leads to ....
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:29 pm

Good Balsamic Vinegar.

Not gonna happen, though.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:07 pm

Jenise wrote:The other day I saw a copper All-Clad at TJ Maxx and didn't even feel pangs of desire!

So-called copper All-Clad is an aluminum pan with a thin copper veneer. Sold at prices comparable to solid copper. IMO, if you're going to be paying those prices for pans, you should go for solid copper with stainless steel lining, such as is sold by E. Dehillerin in Paris. Or the other solid copper, stainless steel-lined equivalents.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:08 pm

JoePerry wrote:Good Balsamic Vinegar.

Not gonna happen, though.

Amen, brother. Not at those prices. Curse the falling dollar!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:31 pm

I would LOVE to get Mary a good ice-cream or gelato maker, but it has to be the kind that makes small portions - single or double one-cup servings. We used to have a little hand-cranked one about the size of a coffee can, but they don't seem to make them in the itty bitty size any more.

I'd pay real money for a fancy one if I was sure it would make great product ...
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Robin, my quart and a half Cuisinart will make as little as one cup of ice cream etc. The insert takes up space in the freezer, and I usually make two cups at a time.

Simple, and really does a nice job.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:07 am

Bob Ross wrote:Robin, my quart and a half Cuisinart will make as little as one cup of ice cream etc. The insert takes up space in the freezer, and I usually make two cups at a time.

Simple, and really does a nice job.

Thanks for the tip, Bob, but I'm afraid it doesn't suit. I don't want a hulking big insert taking up freezer space. As long as we're just dreaming here, I would much rather have the convenience of a machine made to churn out single or double servings and don't really need it to make more.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:16 am

Sounds like the Donvier One Quart for around $25 would do the trick for you Robin. Gets good reviews.

The freezer business is a pain.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:45 am

Damn, that's hilarious!! I love the "WHAM!"

And a 28-piece whisk set is just the kind of thing my wife would desperately fear that I would get for her...... :twisted:
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:02 am

Maria Samms wrote:A new toaster over...mine is about 12 yrs old and only cost $30.00 back that.

Is it still working to satisfaction? If so, why replace it? Who cares what it looks like? You don't eat the fashion and decor of the toaster oven. You eat what it toasts. And if the output's still up to snuff, I say stay with what's still working.

In contrast, my range and oven have had it. The lower burner in the oven has quit functioning (which renders the oven useless except for broiling), and the electric burners on the stove top are on their last legs. And I want a gas stove top anyway (I still miss the gas range I had 30 years ago).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:36 am

Bob Ross wrote:Sounds like the Donvier One Quart for around $25 would do the trick for you Robin. Gets good reviews.

The freezer business is a pain.

I guess I'm just not communicating, Bob. ;) We HAVE a Donvier 1-quart, but rarely use it. The problem is that Donvier used to make a one-CUP model, which Mary loved. The freezer insert stopped working (very common, apparently the working fluid eventually leaks out or loses its potency or something), and we couldn't replace it. I'd be wary of a used model, because of the insert-lifetime issue.

The one quart is nice, but again, the insert is four times the size we want, and takes up space, and the machine is very, very basic.

I'm really - just in the realm of wishing - thinking of something much more grandiose, maybe a toy, er, tool that's made primarily for restaurant use. One local place we know of has a fancy, four-figure machine that they use to churn out weird and wacky ice creams on demand with all manner of offbeat but delicious flavors.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:49 am

Paul...it does still work great...but it's only a matter of time before it goes...one side has come undone from the other and is sagging...looks like it's about to fall off. Thus, I know that I have to start thinking about a new one soon. But I do love it and haven't found anything to replace it.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
Next