Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Frozen pizza

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Frozen pizza

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:06 am

Paul, I found a New York Times article from 2004 on the history of frozen pizza and a technical innovation in 1995 -- more recent frozen pizzas may be much better as a result [my home made fast version prevents me from commenting first hand]:

IN strictly frozen-pizza terms, the year 1995 was every bit as momentous as 1066 or 1492. Before that date, frozen pizzas were a gourmand's worst nightmare: overly chewy crusts topped with bland sauce, rubbery cheese and meat specks tougher than jerky. Then came Kraft Foods' first pie sold under the DiGiorno brand name, and the industry was reborn.

Different from its cardboardlike predecessors, the DiGiorno pizza featured a rising crust, a food technology coup. Kraft's researchers were inspired in large part by three patents taken out in 1983 by General Foods of White Plains, which combined with Kraft in 1989. The patents covered the preparation and safe storage of frozen, yeast-leavened dough, a complex process involving the meticulous addition of hydrophilic colloids for stability and surfactants to ''facilitate flour hydration and initial dough development.'' Kraft also developed modified atmospheric packaging, which keeps the pies bathed in an inert gas rather than oxygen, which erodes the dough.

The result was a product that tasted a lot more like something that might be on the menu at the local pizzeria, rather than like astronaut food. In the two years after DiGiorno's debut, total annual frozen-pizza sales soared $500 million, to $2.2 billion. And in 1998, DiGiorno became the best-selling brand of frozen pizza, a title it has not relinquished since.

Success, of course, breeds competition, and the frozen-pizza battle has been particularly ferocious. The industry's No.2, the Schwan Food Company of Marshall, Minn., released its own rising-crust pie in 1996, under the Freschetta label. Kraft later sued Schwan, accusing it of obtaining vital pizza secrets by hiring a former Kraft contractor. The suit was settled in 2001.

DiGiorno remains the top dog of what is now a $2.78 billion industry, with annual sales near $500 million, but 2003 was not a banner year; according to Information Resources Inc., Kraft's sales of frozen pizza declined 0.6 percent last year, versus an industrywide sales increase of 2.8 percent. Schwan had a sales bump of 4.2 percent, largely on the strength of a pie intended to taste as if it had been baked in a brick oven.

DiGiorno's response is the Thin Crispy Crust pizza, scheduled to hit supermarkets nationwide today. The $5.79 pies will come in Supreme, Pepperoni, Four Cheese, Four Meat and Grilled Chicken, and, for the moderately health-conscious, Tomato & Spinach. The taste aim is something approximating the Neapolitan-style pies popular in the Northeast.

John Boswell, vice president of the Kraft Pizza Company, is tight-lipped about DiGiorno's research agenda, but the brand's next competitor could be less traditional. The National Frozen Pizza Institute, the industry's primary lobbying group, recently persuaded the Department of Agriculture to relax its rules governing the composition of frozen pies. Before the change, a so-called white pizza, for example, featuring a surfeit of cheese in lieu of red sauce, could not legally be called a pizza. ''It had to have tomato sauce to be called a pizza,'' Mr. Boswell said. The new rules, he added, ''have broadened our opportunities, and they're consistent with consumers' changing palates.'' In other words, the next frozen-pizza milestone will probably not involve a high-tech crust, but a high-tech sauce. Ranch dressing, perhaps?

Link.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:34 am

Howie Hart wrote:
TomE wrote:My vote for the best is California Pizza Kitchen - Five Cheese and Tomato.
Hi Tom, and welcome to the forum. I'm usually a pretty nice guy and not a curmudgeon, but, frozen pizza snobbiness aside, why would anyone put more than one type of cheese on a pizza. Mozzarella rules, all by itself.

Howie, we are probably in the minority, but I tend to agree with you. To me, a pizza only needs one melting cheese and that would be mozzarella. But I do sprinkle some grated parm or romano or a mix on, too. The absolutely grossest thing you can do is put stinky provolone on a pizza. I love old, dry provolone, but the kind I eat would make a brain-sucking zombie plug in a Glade air freshener if it were melted or burned.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:09 am

Gary - I agree with the grated sprinkle. A little bit while being served, but not before cooking.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:30 am

Bob Ross wrote:Larry, did you see that General ills is recalling 5 million Totino and Jeno frozen pizzas -- check those in your freezer:

http://ecoli.vanosteen.com/frozen-pizza.asp

and

General Foods press release.

The package claims two servings, with a total of:

Sodium

1946mg

81%

I've found that frozen pizzas almost invariably have impressive sodium numbers, and I'm sure the local pizza joints produce pizzas with similar numbers.

Regards, Bob

It must be an East Coast thing; I haven't seen any recalls out here. It's a moot point anyway. They've already passed through my GI tract and I'm still here.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:10 pm

The press release says it was a nationwide distribution, Larry -- the pizzas were made in an Ohio plant.

I only thought of you because you wrote you had them in the freezer.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 pm

John Tomasso wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Perhaps we should have a snob filter.

Maybe we need a reverse snob filter.
Some people, when they don't have time to make or buy a fresh pie, eat frozen pizza. Others eat something else.

Why are those who choose not to eat frozen pizza, automatically considered snobs? I couldn't even tell you the brand name of a frozen pizza, let alone select the one I would buy if I HAD to.

Not snobbery, merely preference.

My hero!

Larry, what John said.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:32 pm

Jenise wrote:I don't buy frozen, packaged food be that pizza or anything else.

Really? Hmmm ... I have 15 years into the packaging machinery industry and have had many opportunities to see how edibles get from their origins to the table. In general, unless I can pick my own veggies out of the backyard or swipe some from the farmer nextdoor or know the fellow at the farmer's market very, very well, I'd rather eat IQF vegetables. They get picked; don't spend a lot of time exposed to the air; and are pretty much frozen within hours of picking and thus retain more of their nutritional value and freshness than a lot of so-called "fresh" vegetables. You never know how long vegetables in a supermarket bin or a produce store have been lying around ... how many times they've been washed down to "look and stay" fresh and just who's been picking through them. I guess I'm just a child of the 21st century. Now, where's that piece of frozen sushi ... ? :wink:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:47 pm

Paul Winalski wrote: But I adore Uno's deep-dish pizza at the restaurant and for fresh take-home. For some reason the formula didn't translate well into the frozen arena.

-Paul W.

For awhile, I was working on a project out of town and there was a Pizza Uno place down the street where I dined happily many a night. There was a combo called Slaughterhouse Five--like Traci, one pizza would feed me two slices for dinner and two more slices for lunch the next day--if they survived breakfast, that is.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:13 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Jenise wrote:I don't buy frozen, packaged food be that pizza or anything else.

Really? Hmmm ... I have 15 years into the packaging machinery industry and have had many opportunities to see how edibles get from their origins to the table. In general, unless I can pick my own veggies out of the backyard or swipe some from the farmer nextdoor or know the fellow at the farmer's market very, very well, I'd rather eat IQF vegetables. They get picked; don't spend a lot of time exposed to the air; and are pretty much frozen within hours of picking and thus retain more of their nutritional value and freshness than a lot of so-called "fresh" vegetables. You never know how long vegetables in a supermarket bin or a produce store have been lying around ... how many times they've been washed down to "look and stay" fresh and just who's been picking through them. I guess I'm just a child of the 21st century. Now, where's that piece of frozen sushi ... ? :wink:

Gary, I've said elsewhere that I love certain frozen vegetables--frequently, that's my breakfast. And if I wanted a quick dinner--while the rest of you were warming up your frozen pizzas, I'd have a bowl of succotash cooking in the microwave. You missed my qualifier--"packaged"--I don't buy ready made foods. No need to--I'd rather cook.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Jenise wrote:Gary, I've said elsewhere that I love certain frozen vegetables--frequently, that's my breakfast. And if I wanted a quick dinner--while the rest of you were warming up your frozen pizzas, I'd have a bowl of succotash cooking in the microwave. You missed my qualifier--"packaged"--I don't buy ready made foods. No need to--I'd rather cook.

Mea culpa. I thought you were referred to anything packaged and frozen, not just prepared foods. Terminus techinicus ... and my own anal retentiveness.
And now what?
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:08 pm

While I cannot recall the last frozen pizza I ate, Trader Joes' also does a frozen concoction that is essentially a tarte flambée that is easy and really quite good. Sort of an Alsatian "pizza."
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:17 pm

wnissen wrote:Dear Larry,
There's no decent pizza within ten miles of us, and I suck at making them, so we usually buy the personal-size ones from Trader Joe's and freeze them ourselves. It takes a bit of adjusting to the directions to get them to come out right, but I'm always happy with the result.

The pizza we also like that comes frozen is, believe it or not, South Beach and Lean Cuisine, and are prepared in the microwave (I'm assuming here that you've managed to clear all the snobs out of the thread, because otherwise they're going to be passing out and collapsing into their keyboards). They have this little microwave reflector that crisps the crust pretty darn well, and I think they taste good. Better than the full-size frozen varieties, which (even the expensive ones like Wolfgang Puck) always seem chewy and not at all like a pizza crust.

Walt

I had a Lean Cuisine Deluxe Pizza for lunch and BBQ Trader Joe's Pizza for dinner just yesterday!

Fresh pizza is better, but Pizza is one of those things which is so good I'll eat it no matter.

Larry, this is a Foodie forum. I think it is inherent that we are all food snobs of one kind or another (otherwise we wouldn't be here).

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:57 pm

On the cheese issue, I don't see why one should feel the need to remain limited to mozzarella.

There are so many possibilities for pizza toppings that mozzarella is not always the best option. For example, tonight's pizza (as soon as I finish this post) will be nettles, carrots, provencale olives and gruyere. Straddling a few geographic regions, but will be tasty to me :)

Another of my favorites for pizza is blue cheese (usually Bleu d'Auvergne, although primarily because it's less expensive than similar quality Roquefort in the shops near my house), gives a lovely glow to the entire pizza.
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:47 am

Amy's Spinach Pizza for me. Especially when I can get 'em at Grocery Outlet for $3.99.

http://www.amys.com/products/category_v ... category=3

Dave
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 02, 2007 1:40 am

Rahsaan wrote:On the cheese issue, I don't see why one should feel the need to remain limited to mozzarella.

It's not a need ... just a preference. Kinda like briefs or boxers.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Dec 02, 2007 3:11 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:It's not a need ... just a preference. Kinda like briefs or boxers.

Except boxers or briefs is essentially a binary choice. (fashion quirks aside)

But with the hundreds of types of cheese available you are really satisfied with just one? All the time?

Hey, sounds traditional and local, so.. To each his/her own.. :D
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:15 am

Rahsaan wrote:...But with the hundreds of types of cheese available you are really satisfied with just one? All the time?

Yes! :!:
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:38 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:It's not a need ... just a preference. Kinda like briefs or boxers.

Except boxers or briefs is essentially a binary choice. (fashion quirks aside)
But with the hundreds of types of cheese available you are really satisfied with just one? All the time?

Yes, yes, and yes, although Howie said it bettter.

More than mozzarella and it is something other than pizza ... good, perhaps ... but something other than pizza ... maybe Pizza v2.0?

Pizza with tomatoes, basil and mozzarella is my noumenon, the Ding an sich ... the rest, simple phenomena.

And there is a third traditional choice which disregards textiles. :lol:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:07 am

I know I'm late to the party, but I both make pizza from scratch and occasionally enjoy a frozen one. My selection criteria for frozen pizza is to read the ingredient label. The shorter, the better.

On one extreme you have California Pizza Kitchen, which actually says in the ingredient list after the mozzarella cheese, this ingredient not normally found in mozzarella cheese (or something very much like that).

On the other extreme, there is Tombstone original extra cheese, which includes only: mozzarella cheese, wheat flour, water, tomato paste, vegetable oil, sugar, salt, yeast, spice and garlic. Sounds more like a shopping list than a ingredient list in today's world. I will admit that sometimes I add a few extra dried herbs, or some leftover Italian sausage to spice it up (it can be a touch bland).

I'm not sure how they can do it but nobody else can.

For a real treat, though, my favorite frozen is American Flatbread. The plain white box rules. And their ingredient list is also short and sweet.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:59 pm

I'll play, Larry.

I'll cook a frozen pizza every once in awhile when Dina is traveling and I'm baching it. My favorite is Freschetta's "Brick Oven Fire Baked Crust" (Pepperoni). 17 minutes to tasty, crisp, crunchy crust and no dirty dishes.

I think they have their place, if you are tired and don't feel like cooking.

Richard
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:48 am

Jenise wrote:
John Tomasso wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:Perhaps we should have a snob filter.

Maybe we need a reverse snob filter.
Some people, when they don't have time to make or buy a fresh pie, eat frozen pizza. Others eat something else.

Why are those who choose not to eat frozen pizza, automatically considered snobs? I couldn't even tell you the brand name of a frozen pizza, let alone select the one I would buy if I HAD to.

Not snobbery, merely preference.

My hero!

Larry, what John said.

Interesting. Being against snobbery makes me a snob.

Actually, I'm on your side of the coin; I enjoy eating and talking about all kinds of foods--"low class" or "high class" (I'm a broader omnivore than some, I guess). I'm against snobs who put down ordinary mortals who may enjoy a frozen pizza or TV dinner and are possibly hesitant to post such admissions in this forum. But I'm certainly not against the fact that you or anyone else enjoys eating any specific thing (except perhaps an endangered species)* or the fact that you don't eat frozen pizzas or TV dinners (more for me).

If you've ever been put down by a snob (and I have), you'll know what I mean. That's the type of snob I'm talking about.

*I once made pickled eggs for the Albuquerque Press Club, attached a "Pickled Spotted Owl Eggs" label and watched a visitor erupt in outrage.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:50 am

RichardAtkinson wrote:I'll play, Larry.

I'll cook a frozen pizza every once in awhile when Dina is traveling and I'm baching it. My favorite is Freschetta's "Brick Oven Fire Baked Crust" (Pepperoni). 17 minutes to tasty, crisp, crunchy crust and no dirty dishes.

I think they have their place, if you are tired and don't feel like cooking.

Richard

My feelings, exactly. I'm so busy every day I feel like I'm in a Sisyphean 100-yd dash.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:59 am

Fred wrote:
We've taken to pita pizzas. Just brush with olive oil, add picante or salsa, maybe some jarred roasted red peppers, thin sliced red onion, a little shredded cheese, and whatever else is on hand. Rotisserie chicken is a favorite.

When we first got married some 27 years ago, this was pretty much all we could afford. Although I like to make pizza from scratch, in a time crunch this still takes care of me nicely. Add some homemade giardinera and you've got a feast.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:29 am

[quote="Larry Greenly] Actually, I'm on your side of the coin; I enjoy eating and talking about all kinds of foods--"low class" or "high class" (I'm a broader omnivore than some, I guess). I'm against snobs who put down ordinary mortals who may enjoy a frozen pizza or TV dinner and are possibly hesitant to post such admissions in this forum. [/quote]

Larry, I really doubt if anyone's hesitant to post admissions here. Many of us do frequently. Anyone who pays attention has heard me confess my love for ramen soups and Campbells Cream of Mushroom Soup. Bob Ross loves the latter too, and Mike Filigenzi loves Kraft Mac n Cheese.
Karen uses Knorr bearnaise sauce as a shortcut, and Mike Kotch and I bonded over a love for Jack in the Box tacos. Few if any of us are in any position to look down at anyone else's choices.

But what makes a snob? Ian made a good point in another recent and regrettable thread about snobbishness being more about labels--buying a brand only because you think it's impressive, or refusing to eat anything that doesn't come from X store. And I agree with him. That's real snobbery. Being particular about the freshness, healthiness, authenticity, taste and texture of your food isn't.

This thread took a rather unfortunate little turn at the beginning when there seemed to be an inference that one either buys frozen pizza or they're a food snob. And you object to the reverse snob suggestion when you're against snobs and concerned about the ordinary mortal. Well, I think what John meant by that, or at least what I meant when I agreed with him, is that it sounds kind of hostile to me when you (or anyone) take it upon yourself to determine where the line is and who's guilty--and I don't think I said that quite right but it's 2 a.m. and I'm unable to get the exact ride words. As to the ordinary mortal--well, as Joe Perry pointed out this forum is a foodie forum. We don't get many casual passersby, and the regulars are all here because we just love talking about food and like all hobbyists, within our area of interest not only our skills but our standards are generally higher than most. It's been like that since day one--why is it suddenly a problem?

Look, we all lead different lives, right? And we all have different thresholds and schedules, and we all choose different ways to make our lives better. You worry that some are afraid to admit they like a convenience product or take a certain shortcut, well it's also true, and accusations of snobbery only reinforces it as a wise move, that some people deliberately avoid admitting to various expensive food affections or splurges for fear they'll be accused of, at the least bragging and at the worst, living too well. That knife cuts both ways. Perhaps, online, nobody's really free to be themselves.

Well, except for Robin. :)

So how about a truce: I won't pick on your pizza (wouldn't have anyway, but I have to offer something in trade) if you don't pick on my salts. :) Okay?
PreviousNext