Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Local Breads

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Local Breads

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:04 am

Bob, I do the make hot water, remove it and put the dough in the microwave method. This has been especially helpful in NM!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:11 am

In such a dry climate, that makes lots of sense, Cynthia. If we find a house, I'll remember that tip for sure. :)

Thanks.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:19 am

You mean you live outside? Wow. You must have some long extension cords.

There's an old German bakers' saying that a pinch of ginger makes yeast work better.

It turns out that small amounts of ginger, ground caraway, cardamom, cinnamon, mace, nutmeg, and thyme improve yeast activity.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:40 am

Ah, Larry, you've missed my second house hunting sagas -- we spend hours every weekend reading through the Santa Fe real estate ads. :)

Thanks for the hints on enhancing yeast growth -- an impressive list of kick starters, that's for sure.

What do winemakers do to improve yeast growth?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:20 am

David M. Bueker wrote:
Bob Ross wrote:Thanks, David. What does the ascorbic acid do?

Yeast food.

Really?

It seems more likely to me that the ascorbate is doing double duty as a natural preservative and a moderator of the gluten strength to prevent an excessively tough chew.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:30 am

Stuart is partially right. Ascorbic acid (Vit C) helps gluten development and makes lighter breads.

Regarding the spice additives mentioned above, the amounts used should be just a pinch because at high levels they work against rising. Amts should be under 1/4 tsp per cup of flour.

BTW, I failed to mention another reason that the sourdough bread is coming out dense. Wetter doughs will rise better than drier, flour-filled ones. So be judicious adding flour when kneading. If you knead long enough, a slightly sticky dough will suddenly turn beautifully elastic.

A general rule of thumb for breads, after kneading, to see if they have to much water or not is to shape the dough into a ball and slap your palm on it. Let it there for 10 seconds. If you then pull your hand off and dough sticks to it, it's too wet; conversely, if dough doesn't quite stick, it's just right.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:46 am

Great hints, Larry -- I've got a great deal to learn. Luckily, the bread tastes awfully good and although too dense made excellent paninis again yesterday.
Previous