Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Butter flavor, butter substitutes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Butter flavor, butter substitutes

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:32 pm

I just started a pot of homemade tomato bisque. I'm making about two quarts and added one tablespoon of butter--hardly enough to matter, frankly, and it's not going to be nearly as tasty as it would be with a full cube of butter in it the way Mom used to make it. But I can't do that now in good conscience, and I've never found a good buttter flavor substitute.

But then, it's been years since I looked. Has anyone had any success with any of the available butter flavorings or butter substitutes?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Butter flavor, butter substitutes

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:03 pm

Jenise, we've been using TakeContol as a substitute, partly at the suggestion of my doctor -- the plant sterols used in the product can reduce cholesterol levels by up to 10% and the scientific studies seem to be well supported.

We tried Benecol first, but it sells for 50% more than TakeControl here, and was higher in salt and had a less pleasing mouth feel.

TakeControl is pretty good for sauteeing at lower heats, and works pretty well in soups, on panini, and in baked dishes. Also shines with eggs -- poached, fried, soft boiled, even shirred.

On a scale of one to ten, butter is a ten, TakeControl an eight.

I've tried a number of alternatives.

Smart Balance Buttery Spread -- good for sauteeing at lower heat, but with an odd fruity taste -- a six.

Benecol -- health claims but tastes like it's been used in frying and very expensive here -- a two.

Lee Iacocca's Olivio -- fishy taste -- a two.

Spectrum -- canola oil base -- doesn't melt on vegetables. a two. [Same with other canola based substitutes.]

I should add I never tried I Can't Believe It's No Butter or any of the olive oil based spreads -- I'll use olive as a substitute instead.

Your mileage may vary of course. Sorry I can't be more enthusiastic. :(

Regards, Bob
Last edited by Bob Ross on Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:10 pm

Jenise wrote:Has anyone had any success with any of the available butter flavorings or butter substitutes?

At the risk of sounding preachy, I'd rather use a little real butter than a lot of any substitute.

If you or Bob aren't under doctor's orders to avoid butter completely, why substitute?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:13 pm

Bob Ross wrote:Jenise, we've been using TakeContol as a substitute, partly at the suggestion of my doctor -- the plant sterols used in the product can reduce cholesterol levels by up to 10% and the scientific studies seem to be well supported.

A friend of mine whose wife is a nurse-practioner also uses that. And recently, he went ot the doctor who insisted on putting him on statin drugs for heart disease since his mother and sister both died of it. "Runs in your family," said the doc, case closed. Well my friend refused and insisted on a test to prove he had clogging or blockage first. (Of course, his insurance would pay for him to take statins for the rest of his life, but not for the test to prove it wasn't neccessary, so said friend paid for the test out of his own pocket.) The result? Nothing there; he's clean as a whistle. Not that he owes all that to Take Control, it's just one part of a fairly healthy approach to diet and exercise, but still.

Between the two of your reccomendations, it makes sense to try it.

What about powders, tried any of those? I remember a product called Molly McButter or something that I tried long ago, maybe it's been 15 years. It was kind of okay--better in some things than others--but it mostly convinced me that I'd rather do without butter than accept substitutions. Eventually tossed it out, and haven't looked at replacements.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:16 pm

We use both butter and TakeControl, Robin -- TakeControl in an application where it's almost as good as butter.

Don't need no doctor's prohibitions in this house! :twisted:

[But lowering cholesterol is a very good thing in my case.]
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:26 pm

My arteries are pretty clear but my cholesterol levels have been over 800 in the past. I'm in good shape now, with pretty good numbers without statins -- and very good with statins.

Janet and my doctor are always after me to take the statins, and they are free from my former employer, but since our diet tends to be so "healthy", I sometimes skip taking them.

Butter Buds seem to be the current powder alternative. I didn't see the point of trying it after reading the ingredients: Maltodextrin (a natural carbohydrate derived from corn), Natural Butter Flavor, Salt, Dehydrated Butter (adds a dietery insignificant amount of fat and cholesterol), Guar Gum (a natural thickener), and Baking Soda.

I guess if I could buy the "Butter Flavor" I might buy that and give it a chance. Maybe I'll Google a bit on the flavors and see what is available. I believe that Chardonnay is sometimes laced with an additive to give it a buttery flavor -- forget the name at the moment -- but I'll search a bit and revert.

From its website: "Butter buds are used as a butter substitute condiment or in the cooking of casseroles, sauces, gravies, and doughs. The product can't be used for frying."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
Jenise wrote:Has anyone had any success with any of the available butter flavorings or butter substitutes?

At the risk of sounding preachy, I'd rather use a little real butter than a lot of any substitute.

If you or Bob aren't under doctor's orders to avoid butter completely, why substitute?

Nope, no doctors orders. And I agree with you--as I told Bob Ross, "[substitutes have] mostly convinced me that I'd rather do without butter than accept substitutions." So over the years I've simply cut way back (on vegetables), cut it out (almost never put butter on bread any more) or use olive oil where butter was used as a frying medium.

But that bisque sure would have tasted good with a lot more butter in it--and where I haven't been able to accept butter substitutes where butter is applied au naturale, like on bread or popcorn, in preparing lunch today I just found myself wondering if there was a new, undangerous way of padding the butter flavor. :)
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:00 pm

Jenise, I see that McCormick, Adams, others make a butter flavoring -- cheap enough -- I'll buy a bottle of McCormick's tomorrow and give it a try.

I've been considering doing so just to understand the "buttery" taste present in Chardonnay ever since Andrea Robinson mentioned the chemical in Chardonnay that gave it that aroma and taste during the short course I attended at the FCI last year.

I've learned the chemical is diacetyl which is a natural product of fermentation -- some fascinating product liability stuff going down over popcorn worker safety. The consumer safety issues seem to be pretty remote -- the only real life case so far involves a guy who ate at least two bags of microwave popcorn a day for ten years -- levels of diacetyl in his kitchen were similar to those in the popcorn factories.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:37 pm

the only real life case so far involves a guy who ate at least two bags of microwave popcorn a day for ten years -- levels of diacetyl in his kitchen were similar to those in the popcorn factories.

I've read about that. Funny, but horrifying (and I'd be really horrified if I were a habitual user of that stuff, but I'm not, never liked the flavoring). Yet another piece of evidence for us who eschew manufactured food for the food we can make ourselves, isn't it?

So does diacetyl give new meaning to the term "killer chardonnay"? :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:16 pm

I think Smart Balance has a decent flavor, and it was judged best by the American Culinary Institute. Smart Balance also has some variants that I haven't tasted: Omega-3, Flax Seed, and sticks.

The soft spreads all have a fair amount of water in them. And if I do saute with a soft spread, I also use olive oil or a little real butter.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:27 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I think Smart Balance has a decent flavor, and it was judged best by the American Culinary Institute. Smart Balance also has some variants that I haven't tasted: Omega-3, Flax Seed, and sticks.

I agree Larry. It's really pretty good. Occasionally I'll use it on toast or vegetables, but still always go back to butter for some reason. My cholesterol is higher than my doc wants it to be but not astronomical (209). I usually don't eat much butter anyway, but if I have a baked potato, watch out. I drown the poor thing.
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:57 am

Robin Garr wrote:

I agree. It makes me wonder if people who religiously use butter substitutes also use cheese substitutes - if there is such a thing.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:31 am

Larry Greenly wrote:I think Smart Balance has a decent flavor, and it was judged best by the American Culinary Institute. Smart Balance also has some variants that I haven't tasted: Omega-3, Flax Seed, and sticks.

Smart Balance comes in sticks? I had hoped it would ever since I switched from my favorite stick margarine.

And yes, I still use real butter, too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 11:43 am

I put Smart Balance on baked potatoes with a judicious amount of butter and yogurt. Smart Balance does come in sticks; see their website.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:10 pm

"I agree. It makes me wonder if people who religiously use butter substitutes also use cheese substitutes - if there is such a thing."

As a farm boy who preached "It's better with butter!" for years and who loves the taste of the real thing, my heart is with with you Sue (and Robin).

But if you can get the same pleasure from a healthier alternative, why not? Especially since the alternative ingredient is the product of natural processes?

There are a number of no fat cheese substitutes -- a fairly good vegetarian cheese that is sold here by Whole Foods. Most of them aren't very good, but almost all cheese has very high sodium levels, and we have to use them in tiny quantities in our house.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:22 pm

Carrie L. wrote: My cholesterol is higher than my doc wants it to be but not astronomical (209). I usually don't eat much butter anyway, but if I have a baked potato, watch out. I drown the poor thing.

Ditto, right down to the cholesterol number, which is the highest number I've ever had and seems to be trending up. Hence my wondering what else I can do.

Glad you guys reccommended Smart Balance, because that's what I bought yesterday when I couldn't find Take Control. Also bought Butter Buds to try...and four pounds of butter because Tillamook was on sale and a whole kielbasa imported from New Jersey (finally, something that's not Hillshire Farms). I doubt if my groceries made any sense to the casual onlooker!