Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Why not volunteer?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Why not volunteer?

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:31 pm

Several weeks ago, I took two elementary school students under my wing and showed them how to use measurements. Then we made an oven pancake that we shared with the rest of the class.

I'm scheduled to do the same two more times. The next time I plan on making johnnycakes with corncob syrup. After that, I'm not sure. Any suggestions? It has to be easy and relatively fast (to fit in one class period) and attractive to kids.

I recently proposed a whole class session teaching the kids about sourdough. My starter is an 1847 Oregon Trail handed down through the family. I plan to teach the biology of yeasts/bacteria, the history of the Oregon Trail, and some baking lessons (I'm going to make sourdough waffles in front of the class that they can taste). The teacher bit immediately.

The point of this thread is why don't some of you cooks on this forum do something similar in your schools? It was fun, the kids love an outsider teaching them, it teaches them new things, and it's fulfilling. Plus the teachers love it because it takes the load off them for a time.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Why not volunteer?

by Jenise » Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:27 pm

I think the answer for most of us is: never been asked.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:17 pm

I think the answer for another large segment of us is: we work during school hours and already find it extremely difficult to get any time off :(
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:55 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Several weeks ago, I took two elementary school students under my wing and showed them how to use measurements. Then we made an oven pancake that we shared with the rest of the class.

I'm scheduled to do the same two more times. The next time I plan on making johnnycakes with corncob syrup. After that, I'm not sure. Any suggestions? It has to be easy and relatively fast (to fit in one class period) and attractive to kids.

I recently proposed a whole class session teaching the kids about sourdough. My starter is an 1847 Oregon Trail handed down through the family. I plan to teach the biology of yeasts/bacteria, the history of the Oregon Trail, and some baking lessons (I'm going to make sourdough waffles in front of the class that they can taste). The teacher bit immediately.

The point of this thread is why don't some of you cooks on this forum do something similar in your schools? It was fun, the kids love an outsider teaching them, it teaches them new things, and it's fulfilling. Plus the teachers love it because it takes the load off them for a time.

Larry,

When I was in the Big Brother program, an 18 year-old I worked with said to me over the course of a chess game where he made mincemeat of me, that he liked omelet and that he loved peanut butter.

I happen to like a peanut butter omelet (only occasionally these days). So I taught him how to cook one up. I never knew how something like cooking food could light up what had been for some time sad, jaded eyes.

But to your question: I have a feeling in this day and age that volunteering to cook in a classroom would be fraught with all sorts of liability issues. Have I been jaded?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:09 pm

Jenise wrote:I think the answer for most of us is: never been asked.

I saw a notice on a bulletin board. I was never asked, either.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Good for you Larry!
Kids ain't my thing, but I do volunteer in other areas.
'Winfer
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:29 pm

Actually, I do, too--which is why I'm so busy all the time.

I'm also prez of the non-profit all-volunteer SouthWest Writers http://www.southwestwriters.org, which means meetings, workshops, classes, etc., and I volunteer teaching writing at the local senior center. It's why I sometimes have to grab the fastest food I can just for the fuel.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:00 pm

That is great Larry!! I bet the kids LOVE it! And they truly are learning.

I hope to be able to do that someday...right now, I have 2 little kiddos of my own that keep me quite busy. And since my son has so many food allergies, he is with me 24/7. But I would definitely love to do something like that in the future...although, I wouldn't be as interesting.as you..no 1847 starter here :)...I wish *I* could be a student in that class!
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:31 pm

I have 37 years of volunteer work on my resume, except for two out of the ten years I worked for the City of Redding. None of it involved cooking, I did enough of that at home.
I am still volunteering and probably will until I get too cranky with all the mindless people in my world.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 pm

They do love it. And you just might nudge a kid to become a foodie or even a chef.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:36 pm

I have been a volunteer in some capacity for the past 20 years; 10 of those working with chidren. Kudos to you and those who still find the time and energy to work with our youth.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:19 am

Cooking with kids is great. They seem to pay more attention to cooking lessions than anything else. I've done lots of food with kids. My favorite was last year when I taught them how to make maki. I was way off on my guesses of who would like it and who would spit it out.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:28 am

Being retired, retired; and have never been busier and don't get paid a dime, it must be volunteering. Have done the classroom bit with some success, but it has all the difficulties of cooking in a strange kitchen. Inevitably you forget to bring something you absolutely have to have!

If it works for you, though Larry, have fun!