Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Salt roasting

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Salt roasting

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:26 am

Salt roasting: baking something like seafood, pork, poultry or potatoes in a mound of salt. People rave about it, but I've never done it. How about you? And what did you think?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Salt roasting

by Paul Winalski » Mon Dec 03, 2007 2:31 am

"Beggar's Chicken" is a Chinese dish where a whole chicken is baked in salt.

The methodology exists in many cuisines. But, as the Chinese name indicates, it seems to be a cooking method of last resort for peasants who can't afford any better method of cooking.

I'm not salt-paranoid, but I certainly don't need in my dietary regimen culinary methods that are extremely high-sodium, such as salt-baking. Or French confit.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:50 am

Larry...I have never done it, but I have had a whole snapper cooked in a salt mound when I ate at one of Mario Batali's restaurants, and it was one of the most delicious snappers I have ever eaten.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:18 am

Paul Winalski wrote:"Beggar's Chicken" is a Chinese dish where a whole chicken is baked in salt.

The methodology exists in many cuisines. But, as the Chinese name indicates, it seems to be a cooking method of last resort for peasants who can't afford any better method of cooking.

I'm not salt-paranoid, but I certainly don't need in my dietary regimen culinary methods that are extremely high-sodium, such as salt-baking. Or French confit.

-Paul W.

The way I understand it is that the salt doesn't really permeate the food, but forms a crust that seals in the juices.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:49 am

Maria Samms wrote:Larry...I have never done it, but I have had a whole snapper cooked in a salt mound when I ate at one of Mario Batali's restaurants, and it was one of the most delicious snappers I have ever eaten.

Maria, my favorite Spanish Restaurant in Florida has the same dish. It's unbelievably good. They fillet it at the table and drizzle with olive oil infused with garlic and hot red peppers. Mmmm, I miss it.

Larry, I believe some restaurants use this method for cooking Prime Rib. I'm not sure I've ever had it that way though. I'd be interested to try making it that way, but I would hate to ruin a whole prime rib roast if it didn't work out.