Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Savoie/Jura dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Savoie/Jura dinner

by TraciM » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:03 pm

About once a month, a group of my girlfriends pick a region and cook a multi-course dinner based on wines and foods from that area. This month it happens to be Savoie/Jura. Luckily, one of our friends is one of the wine buyers at K&L in SF. So, we're pretty well covered in the wine department. Not to mention, my favorite shop--Paul Marcus--has a great selection too.

We already have a couple items for the menu---

Comte gougeres
Crunchy comte sticks
Boiled eggs with morel cream

But, we're still working out the meat and/or fish course. Does anyone have any suggestions or thoughts or comments?

Thanks in advance!

Traci
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

Re: Savoie/Jura dinner

by David Creighton » Mon Dec 03, 2007 12:22 pm

what they call salmon trout is big in that area - can't remember what that is in americanese - its the pink colored trout. i'd seriously consider stopping by kermit lynch in berkeley to pick up the chignin they have - it is quite delish.
david creighton
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:01 pm

TraciM? As in Michaelson?

Richard
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:53 pm

Dear Traci,

Hello from Livermore!

I've never been able to figure out why Jura and Jurancon are from opposite ends of France, and yet both make outstanding pairings with foie gras:

Foie gras with vin jaune

There's a list of other traditional Jura recipes, though following the French is always tricky.

Sounds like a lovely meal, the Savoie selections at K&L have been delicious without exception.

Walt
Last edited by wnissen on Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:50 pm

From the Jura:

Chicken with a creamy sauce made with vin jaune (for which a decent dry sherry could be substituted in a pinch).

A garlicky smoked sausage or ham poached in white wine and onions.

From Savoie:
A gratin of parboiled chopped spinach with cream, one beaten egg and grated Tomme de Savoie or similar cheese.

Quenelles of pike with Sauce Nantua, a creamy sauce made with crayfish. Quenelles are like fluffy gefilte fish. I imagine sturgeon or perhaps trout could be substituted for the pike.
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:40 pm

You have the Comté side covered

But why no Tomme de Savoie???

F
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:05 pm

Thanks, gang!

David---I just got assigned the fish course, so your suggestion is timely.

Richard--yep, it's me.

Walt--someone is working on a foie gras selection as we speak. BTW, we need to get you over here for some serious eating and drinking.

Christian (I think)--That's the exact chicken dish we're doing. Is the sausage you're referring to called Morteau?

Frank---we do have it covered. I just didn't mention the whole cheese course thing. Seemed like a given.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:03 am

I know far less about the Savoie/Jura region of France than the region deserves.

I adore Comte. If the region had nothing else to contribute gastronomically (and I know it has much more), that would be enough to warrant giving it extreme praise!

This region's wines, and cheeses (Comte excepted) don't get the attention they deserve. I wish they were more available in New England, where I could lay my hands on them. I could probably find the cheeses at the best regional cheese shops, if I made the effort, but the wines seem more elusive. The number of wine importers in Massachusetts is down from dozens a few decades ago to a handful now. And thus the consumer choices have been cut back. More's the pity.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 12:34 pm

Well...Hi there Traci! Quite a step from Dallas to Oakland. Thought that might have been you. Hope you are having a ball out there in wine country. Don't you just miss all those Texas Hill Country wines though, LOL?

Richard
no avatar
User

CMMiller

Rank

Ultra geek

Fri May 19, 2006 8:22 pm

California

by CMMiller » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:54 am

Christian (I think)--That's the exact chicken dish we're doing. Is the sausage you're referring to called Morteau?

Yeah, I think so. However, I suspect a soft, fresh Linguica or Kielbasa might be OK as a substitute.

Christian
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:08 am

TraciM wrote:Walt--someone is working on a foie gras selection as we speak. BTW, we need to get you over here for some serious eating and drinking.

Well, then you've got some sensible cooks if foie gras is just assumed. Come to think of it, it's been way too long since I had some. Better get my fill before 2010.

I'm game for some East Bay revelry if you are; let's plan something for after the holiday tumult.

Walt

P.S. Please post pics, we want to see your regional skills!
Walter Nissen