Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Herbed Lake Superior Whitefish with Gamay Caper lemon sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Herbed Lake Superior Whitefish with Gamay Caper lemon sauce

by Howard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:56 pm

Dinner tonight. What is this type of cooking called? - it's not saute, not poached....

Serves 4

1 1/2 lb Lake Superior Whitefish filets skinned and boned
2 tbl olive oil
2 tbl capers
S&P
Dried basil
Dried tarragon
Dried marjoram
Dried rosemary
1/4 lemon
2 sprigs fresh thyme
2 sprigs fresh oregano
Chili powder
1 cup leftover ESJ Bone Jolly Rose
Flour
1/2 - 1 cup stock (I used chicken cuz that's what I had - fish stock would certainly work as well)
1 tbl butter

Sprinkle some flour on the table or a plate and lay the fish filets on it. Coarse salt and fresh pepper as you like. Sprinkle with just a whiff of chili powder - not enough to flavor or over power the fish, just enough to make it subtley interesting. Now cover the fish with the dried herbs (take it easy with the rosemary). Make a bouquet garni out of the thyme and oregano. Heat a couple of tablespoons olive oil in a saute pan on high heat. Just before it smokes, turn the heat down to medium and add the fish filets. Move the filets to prevent them from sticking. Then cover and turn the heat to low. Check the fish now and then and remove from the heat when cooked but still very tender - cover with foil while making the sauce.

Deglaze the pan with the wine. Add the capers. Keep the bouquet garni in. Boil off the wine until just a syrup remains. Add the stock. Heat through. Add the butter - when it's melted and incorporated add the lemon and serve the fish with a couple of tablespoons sauce.

Dinner in under an hour, delicious fish, pretty pink sauce that tasted great too. Served it over leftover polenta. Wife and Number 1 son liked it very much. Number 2 son not so sure about fish in general but left nothing on the plate.
Howard
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

Re: RCP: Herbed Lake Superior Whitefish with Gamay Caper lemon sauce

by Carrie L. » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:07 pm

Howard wrote:Sprinkle with just a whiff of chili powder - not enough to flavor or over power the fish, just enough to make it subtley interesting.

I like that Howard! Keep 'em guessing.
The recipe sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:15 pm

Howard - Now that sounds good. I am a bit confused. As you know, I live close to two of the Great Lakes, but I don't think I've ever had or seen a Whitefish. I found this link: http://www.seagrant.wisc.edu/greatlakesfish/lakewhitefish.html
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:19 pm

Hi Howie,
Couldn't tell you what this looks like in the wild. It's a very mild, tender white-fleshed fish - That's all I know.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:21 pm

Hi Carrie,
Sandy is very sensitive to any heat at all so I keep trying to find ways to sneak it in without overwhelming her palate. She noticed this but did not find it objectionable.
Howard