Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My New Favorite Health Drink

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

My New Favorite Health Drink

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:03 pm

Let's face it. When you have to live your life on a diet like I do, you sometimes go to extremes for satisfaction.

Today, as I reached for my noontime glass of V-8, I just couldn't anymore ... so, in the words of Bob Ross, I spiffed it up a bit. To the usual red liquid I added 2 tsp of parmesan cheese, a touch of garlic powder, a shake of red chile flake, and a little oregano. Et voilà ... liquid pizza. Not too many calories, hardly any fat, and tasty.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Re: My New Favorite Health Drink

by Larry Greenly » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:16 pm

I wonder if you could freeze your liquid pizza.

By coincidence, I'm drinking V-8 as I type this. I jazzed it up with a dash or two of habanero sauce, Worcestershire, a grind of black pepper and a finger of vodka.

Cheers.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:I wonder if you could freeze your liquid pizza.
By coincidence, I'm drinking V-8 as I type this. I jazzed it up with a dash or two of habanero sauce, Worcestershire, a grind of black pepper and a finger of vodka. Cheers.

Pizza Pops™!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:35 pm

On my modified "Weight Watchers" diet, a small can of V8 counts for "zero points" and has a ton of flavor so it's part of my daily routine. I bought a tray of 48 (??) cans at Costco and keep them in the fridge at my office.

I have tried adding Tabasco etc. but I really like V8 as it is. What I do is to have it with 5 Saltine crackers (one point) and 4 ounces of reduced fat cottage cheese (I forget, maybe 2 points). A very satisfying snack. And the cottage cheese helps satisfy the "dairy-calcium" requirement each day.

I've always enjoyed V8. But can't really take the low-sodium stuff.

The "hot" version is kind of interesting tho.

F
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:46 pm

Frank Deis wrote:On my modified "Weight Watchers" diet, a small can of V8 counts for "zero points" ...

Points, eh!? Does Robert Parker have anything to do with this diet? :lol:

Yes, V-8 is indeed a good diet tool.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 pm

V-8 is indeed a good diet tool for me, because I can't get the stuff down no matter what you put in it. Mouthfeel is all wrong.
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:51 pm

I don't love V-8, but I do love Bloody Mary mix. Probably the same dietary benefits, huh?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:26 pm

Every morning I drink 6 oz of a Knudsen product called Very Veggie. I add a wedge of squeezed lemon and which ever hot sauce I feel like that morning. It has 50 calories for 8 oz., and 35 mg of sodium. It is really filling and so yummy.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Cynthia, I go in and on the mouthfeel thing ... kinda like with liver and chicken feet ... but the fact that V-8 can be a good thing is making me like it in my old age.

Carrie, Blood Mary mix has sugar in it. Check the calories on the box!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:32 pm

Maybe I will like it too when I get to be as ancient as you, Gary! But I doubt it.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:35 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Maybe I will like it too when I get to be as ancient as you, Gary! But I doubt it.

Here's wishing you a long life so you can see whether you'll grow to like it. Lchaim!!
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:54 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:V-8 is indeed a good diet tool for me, because I can't get the stuff down no matter what you put in it. Mouthfeel is all wrong.
I'm with you on thi sone Cynthia. A tomato can be eaten chilled. But tomato juice must be at least warm IMO. Icky-Poo!! :evil:
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Thu Dec 06, 2007 12:20 am

Gary, V-8 has another use for me - I use it instead of water to make couscous. It is sometimes my dinner, with a little chopped cooked chicken stirred in.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:55 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:I wonder if you could freeze your liquid pizza.
By coincidence, I'm drinking V-8 as I type this. I jazzed it up with a dash or two of habanero sauce, Worcestershire, a grind of black pepper and a finger of vodka. Cheers.

Pizza Pops™!!

I like it. Anything on a stick sells particularly well at fairs.

Opinion ahead: There are probably some decent Bloody Mary mixes out there, but I've had to judge a few for the Scovie Awards and I didn't particularly like them. One or two actually made me wonder how anyone could even drink them. It takes no time at all to make a Bloody Mary from tomato juice or V-8 and it's way easy.

But what brand(s) of mix are recommended?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:32 am

Larry Greenly wrote:[Opinion ahead: There are probably some decent Bloody Mary mixes out there, but I've had to judge a few for the Scovie Awards and I didn't particularly like them. One or two actually made me wonder how anyone could even drink them. It takes no time at all to make a Bloody Mary from tomato juice or V-8 and it's way easy.

But what brand(s) of mix are recommended?

Since I don't like to ruin good juice with booze or good booze with juice, I don't drink many mixed drinks voluntarily, so I don't have a clue here.

What I did enjoy and I think mentioned elsewhere was the grilled flank steak I had at the last Roche Winery barrel tasting event. It had been marinated in Bloody Mary mix (without the the sugar) for 48 hours. Now, that was some good eats!!!
And now what?