Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

So I finally made salad dressing

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

So I finally made salad dressing

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:46 pm

Not too hard. Canola oil (stupid me was rushing like crazy & didn't even THINK of olive oil - oh well next time), balsamic vinegar, a little salt & pepper, a minced garlic clove, some dry basil (dried from my summer crop) and just a pinch of sugar to brighten the flavors. Pretty good. Didn't change my world view, but pretty good.[/i]
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: So I finally made salad dressing

by Bill Buitenhuys » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:15 pm

Good one, David.

When I'm overrun with cherry tomatos, I like to put a couple dozen on a tray in the toaster oven for 15-20mins until they are starting to roast and split open. Dump them in a mixing bowl, mush em up and mix in some olive oil, chopped shallot, splash of balsamic, a bit of grainy mustard, s+p (typical vinegarette stuff). It's pretty yummy tossed with some field greens and topped with panko crusted sauteed goat cheese.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:08 pm

David, congratulations. I started to recommend mustard but I see Randy got there first. Another great combo, especially if the salad contains a lot of vegetables: oil (olive or canola), regular vinegar, mustard, dry tarragon, and salt. Just mix it in the bottom of a bowl with a fork, put your salad ingredients on top, then toss.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:24 pm

Added a little spicy, grainy mustard to my remaining dressing. Made for a zesty salad tonight.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:52 pm

You didn't put riesling in it?

rwj
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:51 am

Maybe next time - a nice, steely Trimbach or Egon Muller in place of vinegar? :D
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:26 am

I bet that would be pretty good. You could even cook off what little alcohol is there. Then you would have the essence of riesling.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Other good ingredients: a dash or two of worcestershire sauce (adds spice), a dash or two of soy sauce (gives a smokey hint, nice with spinach), chopped shallots (let dressing marinate aboiut 10 minutes to soften their texture and sweeten their flavor). Sometime try using lemon juice instead of vinegar and mix it with a walnut or hazelnut oil, add just salt and toss the dressing with lots of green lettuce, some crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onions. Sliced almonds are a nice addition too. Hopefully, you'll find yourself liking plain old lettuce lettuce more than you used to with all these variations.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:13 pm

Other good ingredients: a dash or two of worcestershire sauce (adds spice), a dash or two of soy sauce (gives a smokey hint, nice with spinach), chopped shallots (let dressing marinate aboiut 10 minutes to soften their texture and sweeten their flavor). Sometime try using lemon juice instead of vinegar and mix it with a walnut or hazelnut oil, add just salt and toss the dressing with lots of green lettuce, some crumbled blue cheese and chopped green onions. Sliced almonds are a nice addition too. Hopefully, you'll find yourself liking plain old lettuce lettuce more than you used to with all these variations.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Try the riesling with lemon juice, sliced almonds and shallots.

rwj
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:24 pm

So I did a similar dressing with honey mustard instead of the grainy mustard & touch of sugar combination. Also added a hard-boiled egg yolk that did a great job of holiding everything together. Really great on a spinach salad with toasted pecans (and the egg whites).