Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP /Foodletter: Chipotle shrimp

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

RCP /Foodletter: Chipotle shrimp

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:41 am

Chipotle shrimp

Chipotles are <i>hot</i>, and I'm not talking about capsaicin, the active ingredient in spicy chile peppers.

Who knew that this obscure Mexican pepper - actually a ripe jalapeño pepper dried over woodsmoke - would have skyrocketed into popular glory?

Chipotles are as easy to like as they are hard for Anglos to pronounce. (Say "Chee-poht-lee," taking care not to reverse the letters in that Aztec "tl": It's <i>not</i> "Chee-pol-tee," nor is it "Chip-pottle.")

Once a rare treat little known outside Spanish-speaking taquerias, chipotles are now popping up just about everywhere. A popular fast-food restaurant chain (briefly but no longer controlled by McDonald's) bears the name. The good folks at Tabasco are pumping out chipotle-flavored hot sauce by the barrel.

Across the nation and around the world, creative chefs are introducing this smoky flavor into all manner of "fusion" dishes. In recent months I've been confronted with a chipotle-scented Caesar salad, a smoky chipotle-fired chicken wing never dreamt of in Buffalo, and a chipotle mayo on a burger at an Irish-American pub, just to name a few.

Food-industry watchers have declared chipotles a certifiable trend; it's part of a rush toward Latin-American flavors in general, <I>DSN Retailing Today</i> wrote in 2004. "Spicy ethnic flavors continue to gain ground in mainstream food categories, with chipotle ranking as one of the most popular seasonings. Products with chipotle flavors now include salsa, hot sauce, pasta sauce, mayonnaise, mustard, soup and chips. Growth of the Hispanic population, interest by mainstream consumers in ethnic food and restaurant trends are driving interest in ethnic flavors."

I needed no persuasion to join this movement, having discovered the joys of smoky jalapeños when I lived in Los Angeles a generation ago, a taste further refined when I worked with some inspiring farm-labor organizers in West Texas and New Mexico on my day job back in the early '90s.

The other day, trying to come up with an offbeat accompaniment to a boldly aromatic Gewurztraminer, I dreamed up this dish, a quick and simple saute of shrimp with browned onions, green peppers and tomatoes in a lightly spicy, chipotle-accented sauce over rice. The Gewurz proved so bold that it was too much even for this brightly flavored dish, proving that you can't win them all; next time I'll go with a lighter-style Gewurz. But the dish itself was fine. I made it with sweet, delicate Kentucky freshwater shrimp, but it would work just as well with the more familiar saltwater shellfish.

Finally, a curious question for readers outside the U.S. and Canada: I'm wondering whether chipotles have made any inroads outside North America as yet. Can you find them, either easily or with some searching, in Europe, Asia or Down Under? Unfortunately, there's no real substitute for chipotles en adobo, but you could certainly make a similar-only-different dish substituting any hot pepper, a bit of tomato sauce, and a dash of smoked Spanish paprika.

INGREDIENTS: (Serves two)

1/2 small onion
1/2 green bell pepper (ditto)
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 cup diced tomatoes, fresh in season or good quality canned, with their juices
1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce with 1 teaspoon (5ml) of the sauce from the can
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 dried chipotle pepper
Water
3/4 pound (360g) medium-size shrimp, peeled
Salt
Black pepper
Dried red-pepper flakes

PROCEDURE:

1. Peel the onion and cut it in half along its equator, then cut one of the halves vertically into thin slices; you want to end up with about 1/2 cup (120g) chopped onion. Cut the green pepper into about 1/2 cup of similar "julienne" slices. Peel and mince the garlic, and cut the tomatoes into small dice. Mince the canned chipotle pepper and measure out the sauce. Taste carefully and adjust the amount to suit your taste; I find this product extremely variable in its heat.

2. Put the olive oil in a saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat, and saute the sliced onions and bell pepper until the vegetables are partially cooked and the onions aromatic and starting to brown. Add the minced garlic and cook briefly.

3. Reduce heat to low, put in the diced tomatoes and their juice, the minced chipotle and adobo sauce, and the dried chipotle pepper. Stir to blend, and add a little water to achieve the consistency of a thick soup. Simmer uncovered for about five minutes, then add the peeled shrimp and cook just until they turn pink, only a minute or so on each side depending on their size. Don't overcook.

4. Check seasoning, and if necessary, add salt, freshly ground black pepper and dried red-pepper flakes to taste. Serve over steaming white rice.

MATCHING WINE: I came up with this dish with the recently reviewed The Furst 2006 Alsace Gewurztraminer in mind, reasoning that the combination of caramelized onions, shellfish and spicy flavors might sing with the aromatic Gewurz, but the wine was simply too over-the-top aromatic to work with any food match I can imagine. I would try it again, though, with a more restrained Gewurz like the Handley 2006 Anderson Valley Gewürztraminer reported in yesterday's <i>30 Second Wine Advisor</i>.

<center>Subscribe to The 30 Second Wine Advisor's weekly FoodLetter</center>
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP /Foodletter: Chipotle shrimp

by Jenise » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:48 pm

Sounds great.

Chipoltes first came to my attention when reading about the cooking of Mark Miller (Coyote Cafe, Santa Fe). I found a mail order supplier, and my kitchen hasn't been without them since. I have, however, only used the dried version, never the canned. I did buy some once years later, but didn't understand the attraction and have stuck with the dried version ever since. They are a wonderful ingredient, aren't they?

Probably the most compelling chipotle seasoned dish I ever had was in a dish of mussels at Caprial and John Pence's Portland eatery, The Westmoreland Bistro. They were used to give their smokey essence to a lightly cooked fresh tomato gazpacho which was tossed with the mussels and some thin slices of fried chinese sausage at the last minute. Sounds odd, but it worked. Beautifully.
no avatar
User

Paul Noga

Rank

Cellar rat

Mon Aug 28, 2006 5:31 pm

by Paul Noga » Thu Dec 06, 2007 2:50 pm

I love the flavor of chipotles and recently made a "chicken chipotle cheesecake" as a savory appetizer for Thanksgiving. The problem with recipes calling for canned chipotles in adobo is what to do with the unused peppers. Many recipes, like yours, don't require using the entire can, and this isn't an ingredient I use often enough that it would last in the refrigerator. Any idea if you can freeze the remainder? Although the sauce is tasty, I find that buying jarred chipotle pepper flakes is more convenient.

I also thought I had seen everything until I went to a local Outback Steakhouse a few weeks ago. Before dinner I had one of their pineapple chipotle margaritas. The sweetness of the juice, coldness of the drink, saltiness of the rim, and the smoky heat of the pepper played off each other very well. Not something I think I would have thought of myself. I appreciate it when someone goes out of the box for a combo I wouldn't have dreamed of putting together.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:01 pm

Paul Noga wrote:Any idea if you can freeze the remainder? Although the sauce is tasty, I find that buying jarred chipotle pepper flakes is more convenient.

Paul, I've experimented with freezing leftover chiles en adobo and had moderate good luck. The flavors stay okay, but it's kind of a mess to try to break off a little bit from the frozen block. I usually figure that a can costs less than $2, and if I get one good meal out of it and then keep it in the fridge until it turns black, possibly using it again once or twice, I've gotten a pretty good deal even if I have to throw away what's left.

Frankly, I really love them and usually find ways to use them, although the current can is so unusually hot that Mary asked me to ease up for a while after the third chipotle-flavor dish in a row. ;)

I love dried chipotles and flakes too, but they're a different thing to me than the chipotles en adobo, and I don't usually substitute straight across.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:03 pm

Jenise wrote:I have, however, only used the dried version, never the canned. I did buy some once years later, but didn't understand the attraction and have stuck with the dried version ever since.

As I was just telling Paul, I see the dried version and the canned chipotles en adobo (is that what you mean by "canned"?) as completely different things. The chipotles en adobo, to me, gain an entirely different - and delicious - flavor from the adobo sauce, which adds a distinct character of its own and that can be used to add flavor to recipes even without the chipotle. I love both, and would hate to have to do without either. In this dish, specifically, I just don't think it would be the same at all without the dab of adobo in it.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:07 pm

Paul Noga wrote:Any idea if you can freeze the remainder?

I do it all the time, Paul. I generally freeze them with a little adobo in ice cube trays, so I have about 1/2 pepper with sauce in each cube. Once frozen, I put them all in a zipper freezer bag and take them out as needed.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 06, 2007 7:55 pm

Robin Garr wrote:As I was just telling Paul, I see the dried version and the canned chipotles en adobo (is that what you mean by "canned"?) as completely different things. The chipotles en adobo, to me, gain an entirely different - and delicious - flavor from the adobo sauce, which adds a distinct character of its own

Oh, I can easily appreciate that, which is why I eventually bought and tried a can. Best I remember, they were so #@#ing hot (and I tolerate heat better than many) any unique flavor they might have had was a fairly moot point. I'll have to try them again sometime since your post indicates that the heat can vary from can to can.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:15 pm

I've never experienced excessive heat from canned chipotle and I go through a can or two per month. Can't imagine chilaquiles without 'em.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I've never experienced excessive heat from canned chipotle and I go through a can or two per month. Can't imagine chilaquiles without 'em.

Jalapeños seem to vary a lot in their heat level and I imagine this variation carries over into chipotles. I've got moderate heat tolerance and, at times, find some a bit much for the buds ... within the same brand occasionally. You'd think they'd (whoever they are) would strive for more consistency in their product. In any event, every cook I've seen on TV and every recipe I've read warns about the heat in chipotles. I can't say the warning is warranted. If you can deal with jalapeños, then you can deal with chipotles.
And now what?