Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fudge

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Fudge

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I was just the happy recipient of a box of Kentucky Bourbon Chocolate Fudge, with pecans, made by the Trappists at Gethsemani... a gift from a client.

I love love love fudge, but make it less than once a year because it's insanely bad for me and every recipe Serves 1. True, it may take a few days to eat it all, but I most certainly ultimately will!

But, now I'm thinking it might make a good holiday gift for some acquaintances and/or business contacts.

What's your favorite recipe? (And please note, if it's not chocolate, it's not fudge! ;))
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Fudge

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:17 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What's your favorite recipe? (And please note, if it's not chocolate, it's not fudge! ;))

Sorry, I'm going against the grain. This isn't chocolate, but it's simple, delicious and a personal favorite of mine.

Creamy Peanut Butter Fudge

2 cups sugar
2/3 cup milk
¾ cup marshmallow cream
¾ cup creamy peanut butter
¼ cup butter or margarine

Combine sugar and milk in a heavy 3-quart saucepan, stirring well. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Cover and cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes to wash down sugar crystals from sides of pan. Uncover and cook without stirring, until candy thermometer registers 234 degrees;, maintaining a rolling boil. Remove from heat, add marshmallow cream, peanut butter and butter, stirring with a wooden spoon until butter melts and mixture is smooth.

Pour fudge immediately into a buttered 8-inch square pan. Cool and cut into squares.

Yield: about 2 pounds

Southern Living – 30 Years Of Our Best Recipes
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:24 pm

What's marshmallow cream, Linda?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:31 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:What's marshmallow cream, Linda?

It is like spreadable marshmallows. Here is one definition: Marshmallow creme is a uniquely American food item. It is a very sweet, spreadable, marshmallow-like confection and is popular amongst young children. Marshmallow Fluff and peanut butter are the fillings of a sandwich, the Fluffernutter.

I grew up eating peanut butter and marshmallow sandwiches. I also love peanut butter milkshakes. Yum!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 8:35 pm

Oh! I haven't thought of that since..... I don't know when! Thanks for the explanation.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:07 pm

From what I understand, marshmallow cream (or creme) is basically just marshmallow without the gelatin stiffener (i.e., sugar, egg white, gummy stuff, and chemicals).

Does it do any crusting when hit with a heat source? I'd think so, and that suggests some interesting culinary possibilities.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:51 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Does it do any crusting when hit with a heat source? I'd think so, and that suggests some interesting culinary possibilities.

Not to mention the sexual possibilities. :shock:

rwj
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:57 pm

Eeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:00 pm

Don't make me get the bucket again.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 06, 2007 11:19 pm

Dude, I'm so far beyond the bucket.

rwj
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:17 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:From what I understand, marshmallow cream (or creme) is basically just marshmallow without the gelatin stiffener (i.e., sugar, egg white, gummy stuff, and chemicals).

Does it do any crusting when hit with a heat source? I'd think so, and that suggests some interesting culinary possibilities.

I can state with authority that it does indeed crust up when heated. My daughter has a fondness for whoopie pies (and please keep all minds out of the gutter with that one) so we always have marshmallow cream sitting around. I just spooned a blob out onto a piece of aluminum foil and hit it with the propane torch. Got a lovely caramelized browning, just like a perfect campfire marshmallow. Science marches on.

List of ingredients includes no gelatin. Just corn syrup, sugar, water, egg whites, artificial flavor, cream of tartar, xanthan gum, and artificial color.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:20 am

Perfect. I know just where I'm going to use this.

And when your daughter turns 18, I'll have a stern talk with her about her whoopie pie.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:11 am

It's always interesting to open a jar of marshmallow creme at this altitude. You absolutely have to use some immediately or you can't get the lid back on.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:23 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Perfect. I know just where I'm going to use this.

And when your daughter turns 18, I'll have a stern talk with her about her whoopie pie.

And you want to use the bucket on ME?!

rwj