Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

food Gifts to buy?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

food Gifts to buy?

by Barb Freda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:04 am

Any thing you are particularly in love with this year? Things that you will purchase as opposed to making yourselves in the kitchen?

Here are some interesting flavored caviars--I haven't tried these, but I am curious about them...(click on caviar and then have a look at the whitefish caviars)

http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl?c=199045

And then Fran's grey salt caramels intrigue me, too:

http://www.franschocolates.com/home.php?cat=2

Although I might be tempted to try those at home...

What else, guys? I am actually looking for smallish editor gifts--$20 price range.

B
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: food Gifts to buy?

by Robin Garr » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:03 am

Barb Freda wrote:What else, guys? I am actually looking for smallish editor gifts--$20 price range.

Barb, why not browse Isola imports, the great Italian-food mail-order place where I got that Tipo 00 Fino flour and a bunch of wonderful Pugliese pastas last year?

http://www.isolaimports.com/
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:11 am

Williams-Sonoma frozen croissants. Trust me on this.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:01 pm

I agree with Carrie on the frozen croissants -- the chocolate are wonderful.

A couple of others I tried, this reccoed in the NYTimes:

OATMEAL COOKIES A sprinkling of coarse-grain salt makes meal-size Salty Oats cookies from Kayak Cookies — regular and chocolate — irresistible. Six for $14.95; kayakcookies.com, (240) 460-3237

Also at your price point: Traditional or caramel apple pie, $19.99; elegantfarmer.com, (262) 363-6770, Elegant Farmer.

Maybe a bit too high, but delicious: Sticky Toffee Pudding Company: Six puddings are $30; stickytoffeepuddingcompany.com

Ottomanelli Brothers, grass fed bison from NY State: $24.95 a pound; ottomanellibros.com

One of our local florists is putting together some really elegant baskets of different herbs, several pots of different types. I like talking to them personally when setting up the gifts -- unusual and people always seem to like them.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:12 pm

Ooh, I recall seeing those oatmeal cookies...sound like something I would like for sure.

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:56 pm

I needed a lot of interesting but not overly consequential hostess gifts this year for people I would not consider foodies, so I purchased many pounds of Godiva "chocolate creme" ground coffee. I'm personally not a fan of flavored coffee (if we need chocolate in our coffee, we're going to dump a heaping tablespoon into the cup that will create a fudge sludge for the last few sips), but it still seems to be popular among the non-purists, the packaging is elegant and Godiva is a recognizable luxury brand so this seemed like a one-size-fits-all kind of gift.

Too, I purchased some handmade chocolates from a local chocolatier. And I bought several jars of a foo-foo brining mix--salt, sugar, herbs, dried garlic etc--to give to a few people I know who aren't cheffy but who do cook at home and who would enjoy something new to try.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:46 am

Chocolate truffles.

I have a friend who makes his own (and they are most delectable). I admire his skill.

I wouldn't dream of making them myself.

There are some chocolatiers in the Boston area where I can buy hand-crafted chocolate truffles as treasured gifts for friends (and for my own private indulgence--bwaa haa haa).

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:04 am

Biscotti or cookies in decorative tins from DiCamillo's Bakery. Great local bakery - I buy their bread quite frequently and packages of the biscotti to take to work to share with co-workers over morning coffee. I don't know if they still are, but a few years ago the biscotti were listed in the Nieman Marcus catalog.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:41 am

Truffles are pretty easy and fun to make, Paul. You should give it a try!