Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lecithin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Lecithin

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:39 pm

I see that lecithin can substitute for the fat in bread baking and I have a jar of lecithin granules. Does anyone have any experience with doing that?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

Re: Lecithin

by Robert J. » Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:01 pm

I've never done it but lecithin is commonly used as an emulsifier (just read almost any candy bar ingredient list). Though I must say that I am having trouble envisioning how this would work.

Because I don't use dairy products very much anymore I have been using EVOO in place of the butter in my white sandwich loaf (I make this for my son because he loves loves loves it and I hate all the crap that is in store bought loaves; mine only has 6 ingredients as opposed to 15+). It works great.

Let me know how the lecithin turns out.

rwj
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Well, as a biochemist I can tell you that lecithin is about 2/3 the same as a typical fat or oil. Fats and oils are both triglycerides, meaning the small glycerol molecule hooked onto 3 long chain fatty acids.

TO convert this into Lecithin, you unhook the 3rd fatty acid and replace it with phosphate and then add choline as a head group. Lecithin is found in all sorts of products from house paint and cosmetics to candy bars. It is indeed an emulsifier which makes it kind of like a detergent or soap.

The word "granules" bothers me. If this stuff is in solid form, how is it going to replace the fat in your dish? Fat content is often about texture and flavor and if you have "granules" I imagine your lecithin has been treated in some way, made into a salt perhaps. I doubt it would really work in cooking.

Frank
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:11 pm

Good question.

Here's what I ran across in the King Arthur catalogue (I would hope they know what they're talking about):

Granular Lecithin Cut calories and improve shelf life and texture by substituting a tablespoon or two of lecithin for an equal amount of the fat in your bread recipe....

I'm not sure how to parse their statement, but I will report on the results. BTW, you can purchase lecithin in health food stores.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:45 am

Yes, we sell it at Central Market.

rwj