Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Misc. NM babbling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Misc. NM babbling

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:09 pm

Is the weather wacky where you are? Last year, it was cold, cold here. And we had snow like I've never seen here before. This year, even Dubya would have to admit it's warm. Many trees kept their (green) leaves until into December.

I even have a couple of small chokecherry trees out front that have green leaves. It's good for setting out a bottle of wine, though, and allowing it to chill down a bit.

Last night my favorite wife and I went to a Xmas party that I look forward to every year. I even turned down a last-minute plea to replace the pianist at Chez Axel (sometimes, there are more important things). The hostess always has an unbelievable spread of food, but what I really come for are the cheeses--blues, bries, cheddars, goat cheeses, etc.

It's kind of amusing. The cheeses look so nice that nobody will cut the first slice. Then I show up. A guy next to me said, "Thanks for doing that. Now I can have some, too." Kinda like the phenomenon of guests not using the pretty handtowels put out for guests--so they won't get them dirty.

I have so many parties and other functions this month, I've listed them on Memotome so I won't forget.

How's your partying schedule?
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Misc. NM babbling

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:30 pm

Have you mastered the French art of cheese cutting? Not my usual blagues crudites, but rather slicing the cheese each time in such a way that the shape of the cheese doesn't change, it just gets proportionately smaller. As the tray goes around the table, the cheeses just shrink. I don't know how they do it, but it's something to admire.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:43 pm

D.C. Metro Area - Maryland

by James Roscoe » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:06 pm

Did someone say cheese?
Yes, and how many deaths will it take 'til he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:11 pm

A lawyer friend emailed me this photo that makes our cheese plates look nicer, Stuart. I'd also been impressed with how good the cheese trays look in Paris.

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:44 pm

It's 27 F out right now which is typically cold, we've had a very sunny and mild Nov-Dec/so far (hence the flooding in Southern Washington), and there are reports of lawns being mowed in Spokane (Eastern Washington).

Our party schedule is the thickest it's ever been--something going on almost every night, but alas we're missing most of it as hubby's under the weather.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:25 pm

Sorry to hear that, Jenise. Cold enough in my office to see my breath. This is supposed to be California...
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:46 pm

Jenise wrote:It's 27 F out right now which is typically cold, we've had a very sunny and mild Nov-Dec/so far (hence the flooding in Southern Washington), and there are reports of lawns being mowed in Spokane (Eastern Washington).

Our party schedule is the thickest it's ever been--something going on almost every night, but alas we're missing most of it as hubby's under the weather.

I was wondering if you had been caught in any the flooding, etc.

It's tough being a jet setter, isn't it? And at my age, leaving parties early is looking better and better.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:47 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Have you mastered the French art of cheese cutting? Not my usual blagues crudites, but rather slicing the cheese each time in such a way that the shape of the cheese doesn't change, it just gets proportionately smaller. As the tray goes around the table, the cheeses just shrink. I don't know how they do it, but it's something to admire.

At home I more or less try to do that, but at buffet parties, it's every man for himself.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:49 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote: Cold enough in my office to see my breath...

A bit of mouthwash should remedy that Stuart.
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 08, 2007 4:55 pm

I recommend Listerine. It's got 27% alcohol and it's cheaper than Ripple. Mmm, mmm.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 09, 2007 1:26 am

James,

YE GODS!!! You'd actually have that big a mass of Pont L'Eveque in one place, with guests who you LIKE? That cheese is a magnitude worse than Epoisses, in the stinkiness department. Pont L'Eveque most definitely doesn't meet EPA federal emissions standards in the USA. :twisted:

You serve Pont L'Eveque and you complain about minor cataclysms such as the weather? So the mass extinction of all organisms with olfactory capability within a mile radius doesn't count? :twisted:

I love stinky cheeses. I adore Epoisses and Citreaux. But I confess to meeting my match with a particularly ripe Pont L'Eveque I had at a Michelin 3-star restaurant in France. That cheese was at the very limit, or maybe beyond it.

I keep Pont L'Eveque at a respectful distance. At least, until, after proper diplomatic negotiations, it's established that there are no mutual hostilities.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:48 am

Paul Winalski wrote:James,

YE GODS!!! You'd actually have that big a mass of Pont L'Eveque in one place, with guests who you LIKE? That cheese is a magnitude worse than Epoisses, in the stinkiness department. Pont L'Eveque most definitely doesn't meet EPA federal emissions standards in the USA. :twisted:

You serve Pont L'Eveque and you complain about minor cataclysms such as the weather? So the mass extinction of all organisms with olfactory capability within a mile radius doesn't count? :twisted:

I love stinky cheeses. I adore Epoisses and Citreaux. But I confess to meeting my match with a particularly ripe Pont L'Eveque I had at a Michelin 3-star restaurant in France. That cheese was at the very limit, or maybe beyond it.

I keep Pont L'Eveque at a respectful distance. At least, until, after proper diplomatic negotiations, it's established that there are no mutual hostilities.

-Paul W.

You should taste the cheeses we get at our wine group dinners. It's all thanks to a CIA graduate married to French woman importing rare French cheeses. We had some Epoisses this past Sunday (2nd) which was AWESOME!
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:31 pm

Yesterday was 85. Supposed to be in the 80's again today. Just doesn't feel like Christmas yet. Even though the lights, tree and in-house decorations are up.

Guess I'll grill something today though.

Richard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 09, 2007 6:40 pm

James said:
You should taste the cheeses we get at our wine group dinners. It's all thanks to a CIA graduate married to French woman importing rare French cheeses. We had some Epoisses this past Sunday (2nd) which was AWESOME!

You know what, my foodie reflex interpretted CIA as Culinary Institute of the Arts. Then I remembered that you live in DC....
no avatar
User

James Roscoe

Rank

Chat Prince

by James Roscoe » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:32 pm

Jenise wrote:James said:

You know what, my foodie reflex interpretted CIA as Culinary Institute of the Arts. Then I remembered that you live in DC....

Go with your instincts. I would have spelled it out if it was the "other" place.