Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

More pita fixins

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

More pita fixins

by Fred Sipe » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:16 pm

You all are probably way ahead of me on this but it's a bit of a follow-up to the frozen pizza thread.

I mentioned a sesame flat bread I had at a Brio Tuscan Grille chain restaurant and speculated about how to recreate it using a pita as the base.

Tried it today though I had no sesame seeds... would have been perfect with the sesame but none are to be had at the markets near me.

Anyway, split the pitas into the two halves and cut into wedges. To some olive oil add some oregano, thyme, grated parm and minced garlic (next time I'm going to roast it).

Brush this simple mixture onto the inside surface of the pita wedges and bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes until browned. Grate some more fresh reggiano on top while hot.

Had them with some potato soup for lunch today and oh my!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: More pita fixins

by Linda R. (NC) » Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:24 pm

Fred Sipe wrote:You all are probably way ahead of me on this but it's a bit of a follow-up to the frozen pizza thread.

I mentioned a sesame flat bread I had at a Brio Tuscan Grille chain restaurant and speculated about how to recreate it using a pita as the base.

Tried it today though I had no sesame seeds... would have been perfect with the sesame but none are to be had at the markets near me.

Anyway, split the pitas into the two halves and cut into wedges. To some olive oil add some oregano, thyme, grated parm and minced garlic (next time I'm going to roast it).

Brush this simple mixture onto the inside surface of the pita wedges and bake at 350 for about 8-10 minutes until browned. Grate some more fresh reggiano on top while hot.

Had them with some potato soup for lunch today and oh my!

That sounds yummy!
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: More pita fixins

by Bob Ross » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Thanks, Fred -- sounds good. :)