Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Butter poached pheasant breast

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Butter poached pheasant breast

by GeoCWeyer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:18 pm

Last Saturday I cooked a 7 course meal for 8 people. I had never tried butter poaching. Since I have a pretty ready supply of pheasants*
I decided to try using the process with the breasts. I love wild game and process all the animals myself, with wild birds, however, I can't clean them, cook them, and then eat them. The wild odor gets to me. If I don't have to do the cleaning I don't have a problem.

I wanted to make certain that I prepared the breasts in a manner that could tame any wild odors and yet let the actual flavor of the meat come through. I thought butter poaching might be the ticket. The dish was the hit of the evening!

I first froze in an ice cube tray some of my homemade cxhicken stock. I used my seal a bag machine. In each bag I placed 1/2 of a pheasant breast, 1/4 of a stick of unsalted butter, a chicken stock ice cube, a sprig of marjarum, a sprig of lavender, and a pinch of salt. I sealed the bags leaving a little air space in them. To finish, I placed the bags in a pot of water that was just below simmer for about 20 minutes.

I served the breasts over a litttle bit of hand parched wild rice that had been prepared with vegetable stock and had added the last two minutes chopped celery, shallots, fennel, carrot and chanterelles that had been sweated and finished with a splash of sherry. I placed the breast on top of the wild rice, spooned 2 spoonfuls of the poaching liquid over the breast and garnished with a sprig of lavender.

Everyone was sad there wasn't a second portion. There was none of the wild gamey bird odor in the kitchen nor at the table.

* My 2 year old Vizsla has the ability to vacumn a field. He locates, points and holds almost 100% of the birds.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Butter poached pheasant breast

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:24 pm

George, great to hear from you again. And you know what, I had an astonishingly moist and flavorful boneless pheasant breast at a New York City restaurant about two years ago and I couldn't figure out quite how they did it. I'll just bet you've solved the problem: they first poached it sous vide, then grilled it off.

More of us should try this method--thanks.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: Butter poached pheasant breast

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:50 am

Sounds great, George.

One question - how did you determine the cooking time on these?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: cooking time

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:26 pm

I came across a recipe that was used on Top chef for chicken breasts done in a bag. I used that cooking time as a guide. Also you can tell by looking at the breasts if they are about done. Pheasant breast isn't very thick.
What I placed in the bag was my own creation. When I first read about butter poaching I thought that the end product would be greasy. It wasn't. I added the stock fro two reasons. First, it was added to lessen the probability of a greasy end product. The second reason was to reduce any gaminess with out masking the flavor of the pheasant.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain