Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fried leeks

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Fried leeks

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:24 pm

I love fried leeks as a garnish, and I want to make a biggish pile of them for same. Have not been thrilled with previous methods used, however--flour sheds and taints the frying oil, meaning if you cook more than one batch the flour from the old batch burns. That's no good, as I'll need to do multiple batches.

Anyone have a better method?
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Fried leeks

by Christina Georgina » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:04 pm

Are you slicing horizontally for rings ? What about frying at high temp to get crispy aka shatter crisp - like fried basil or sage leaves - no flour whatsoever.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:18 pm

Christina, haven't tried flourless. I remember, last time I did this, searching for recipes and finding all reccomended some kind of a starch dip. I just concluded, then, that leeks were too wet or too-something to fry effectively any other way. If they'll cook properly and stay crisp all day--well, that's all I need. I believe in the past I've cut them vertically--horizontal rings might get more curl, though. Or possibly, too much. I have a few leeks here to play with so I have time to get the outcome right, but I was looking to hedge my bets, hence this post.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:44 pm

I've cut them in half vertically, washed and let dry. Brush with EVOO and put on the grill along with your meat. I love the grill marks on the pretty white leeks. You can broil them, as well.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm

Karen, I agree--grilled leeks are just wonderful. But in this case, I need a sophisticated little tumbleweed ball of the fried leek to sit atop the cut slices of meat, and for that fried would be the only way to go. I'll bet you hate deep frying as much as I do!
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:28 pm

We used to use shallot crisps on mashed rutabaga...It is yummy. Anyway, I think you could get the same with leek.

No flour. Slice thin. Dry them by spreading them out on a paper towel and cover them with another paper towel to absorb all moisture possible. Bring oil to heat (fill a pot but leave plenty of space; they will bubble...)...drop them in, cook til golden, quickly take them out and place on fresh paper toweling to drain, spreading them out into a single layer.

These should cool and remain crisp for a while. They are deep fried...but great. Other great garnishes include (after scrubbing clean first) the peelings from a carrot or a parsnip.

b
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 11, 2007 1:52 pm

Barb, thanks for the direction. I'll give that a try today. Btw, the leeks I remember came on a "smoked shell steak". It was a first time for me with both (and very amusing it was, to peer into the alley behind the restaurant the next day and see this line up of barbecues smoking the beef for same--must have been a very popular dish).
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:07 pm

Just in case you did not see my email, Jenise, mix the oil with some butter and cook over low heat...

b
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

by GeoCWeyer » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:22 pm

How about using a little corn starch instead of the flour?
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:53 pm

George, I thought of that too since corn starch doesn't blacken quickly the way flour does--will try it (and report back).
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm going to have to grow leeks again. They're so pricey here. And, to think, they used to be called "poor man's asparagus."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Larry, I bought leeks at three different sources this week. Prices were 1.99 each, 1.99/lb, and 2.99 lb--where the leeks in question all weighed about a pound each. Not exactly extravagant, but three times the price of onion.

Poor man's asparagus????
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:58 pm

Geez, they're 50 cents here.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:33 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Geez, they're 50 cents here.

Yeah, but you live in the "leek basket of the world." Or was that spelled 'leak' and I've got you mixed up with James Roscoe? :)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:57 pm

People confuse us all the time, don't worry about it.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:24 pm

Some of you are more easily confused than others. I think it's age in your case, Stuart. :wink:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:46 pm

Excuse me, ma'am, have we met?