Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lime Rickey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Lime Rickey

by Howard » Tue Dec 11, 2007 12:40 am

Not really a recipe but a very refreshing beverage. We had this last summer at the Litchfield Jazz Festival in Connecticut. A vendor was selling these things for an outrageous amount of money on a perfect hot sunny jazz filled afternoon. Changed our lives it did. Came home and have been making them ever since. Might be an East Coast thing, I've not seen them around here...

1/2 lime
1 -2 tablespoons simple syrup (we now keep a bottle of this in the fridge all the time for when we've gotta have a lime rickey)
Ice
sparkling water.

Juice the lime. Add the syrup (you've gotta figure out how much you want. Sandy likes it less sweet than I do.) Add the ice. Add the sparkling water. Dump the drink into a great big oversized cup to mix well. Pour it back into your glass and enjoy. Just finished one. Like a little bit of summer in December.
Howard
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Lime Rickey

by John Tomasso » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:00 am

When I was a kid, the soda fountain drink of choice at the "candy store" was a chocolate egg cream. But on really hot days, only a lime rickey would do.
I don't think I've even seen or heard about them in thirty years.

Oh, and I think they were a twenty five cents back then.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:46 am

The pity of growing up here is that my child has never, ever even HEARD of an egg cream, much less tasted one.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:40 am

Adding a little raspberry syrup to make the Raspberry Lime Rickey is pretty good too.

Then you can always replace the simple syrup in your recipe with gin for a Gin Rickey. Yum.
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:21 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:The pity of growing up here is that my child has never, ever even HEARD of an egg cream, much less tasted one.

Why not make him one? You've got to get his mind right.
Fox's UBet chocolate syrup is available online.
Check it out.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:38 pm

What a reverie !! My last Lime Rickey was as a small girl on the Boardwalk in Atlantic City. My first family vacation. I though it all so interesting and exotic-a huge vat of limes, freshly squeezed and mixed with great florish. Wonderful to sip slowly while ambling along taking in all the wonderful sounds, aromas and people. Had to have one every evening stroll. It was a wonderful vacation
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:38 am

Lime (and Raspberry lime) Rickeys are one of the great things about living in the Bay state. I can get them at just about every ice cream joint.

Love them. Drink gallons every summer.
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:01 am

Howard wrote:...Like a little bit of summer in December.

Yes -- don't know it by that name but gotcha. There is something magic in good citrus ... evidence of cosmic order.