Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Turkey leftovers, anyone?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Turkey leftovers, anyone?

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:45 am

I roasted a 21-lb turkey a week after T-day because we didn't have any leftovers. I'm now officially getting burned out on turkey. Sunday, I made myself a ribeye and my wife, who prefers turkey, a slice of breast meat with mole sauce and chopped pumpkin seeds.

For the first time ever, I used turkey in posole, which I also started on Sunday in a crockpot. We ate some last night, accompanied by flour tortillas (which, by the way, have zoomed in price). And Larry found it to be good. Verily.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Turkey leftovers, anyone?

by Jenise » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:57 am

I bought some flour tortillas the other day (new idea: cut off top and bottom to create wide narrow strip about 1" shorter than the length of a hot dog or brat, warm up in the microwave, then spread with mustard and roll up like a carpet with the cooked dog inside--yum) and thought $3 was a bit high, but I buy flour torts so rarely I couldn't be sure.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:58 am

Larry, don't know if you are old enough to remember:

TURKEY TETRAZZINI:

1/2 lb Linguine (fresh or dried)
6 tbl Olive oil
3 tbl Butter
1/2 lb Mushrooms sliced or quartered depending on size
1/4 C Flour
1 1/2 C Turkey stock or reasonable substitute, warmed
1 Egg yolk
1/2 C Heavy cream
1 tbl Oloroso Sherry or reasonable substitute
3 C Cooked turkey in 1/2 - 1 inch cubes
1/4 C Grated Romano or Parmesan mixed with
2 tbl Fresh breadcrumbs
Salt
White peppermill
Paprika

1 1/2 - 2 qt Baking dish or Au Gratin dish

Cook pasta al dente. Drain and toss with two forks to rid it of all water. Toss in baking dish with two tablespoons of OO, salt and white pepper. In an eight to ten inch saute pan, melt a tablespoon of butter in two tablespoons of OO. Saute mushrooms till soft but not brown. Remove them to small bowl. Add another tablespoon of butter with two more of OO. When butter subsides whisk in flour. Off the heat add warm stock. Bring to boil and simmer for five minutes. Whisk egg yolk and cream together. Add a ladle of sauce to it, whisk well, and add cream into sauce. Warm through. Off heat season with wine, salt, and white pepper. Mix in turkey and mushrooms. Stir all together well. Scrape on top of the pasta. Sprinkle with cheese - breadcrumb mixture and paprika. Dot with remaining tablespoon of butter. Bake in a 350 degree oven for forty five minutes.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 11, 2007 2:03 pm

I'm so old, it was called "Trizzini" when I was a kid.
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Tue Dec 11, 2007 4:44 pm

Had my best leftover turkey success last night, in fact. Did a variation on a 'wichcraft sandwich:

-cooked up a couple of slices of bacon
-sliced up half an avocado
-slow-cooked some thinly sliced onions in balsamic and a little brown sugar
-made a quick aioli with a yolk, a little EVOO, s&p, a little Dijon, a tiny minced clove of garlic, a few drops of white wine vinegar, and a pinch of cayenne

Removed the bacon from skillet and poured off all grease (for later use, of course) without toweling the pan off completely. Added 2 pieces of naan to the skillet and built the sandwich on one piece of naan while both pieces crisped up underneath: spread the top of the naan with aioli, added turkey, then bacon, then avocado sprinkled with salt, then some of the onions, then topped it with the second piece of naan. Served with a little broccoli slaw on the side. It would be insulting to call these "leftovers" - what a treat!
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:48 pm

Among Suggestions in recent related thread. (I could add one or two more tested since, but am outta time.)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:09 pm

Eden, it seems to me that you post so infrequent, that I feel that you are a newbie each time. I know you aren't, so I will refrain from a newbie welcome, but good to see you anyway.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:23 am

Hi Bob - Yes, even I feel like welcoming myself, sometimes, my posting is so inconsistent! :wink: But I actually have a really good excuse these past few months: late this summer, I simultaneously got engaged and got a new job! So between wedding planning (3/30/08 - way too soon!), house-hunting, my horribly long new commute plus being busy non-stop at an office with inconsistent internet access, and some of the mess that life naturally throws one's way, anyway, it's been tough for me to keep on top of most of the rest of my life. To let you in on a little secret, though, the first "recreation" I added back into my routine once I had the initial whirlwind of activity out of the way was regular reading of this site! :)
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:36 am

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding, and I hope that job is paying you what you are worth! :-) About house hunting though, I would say that if you are looking for something to buy, you have picked a buyers market. Of course it may be that mortgage rates are up a couple points. Like I said, it's good to see you.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:14 am

i love this dish and my recipe is similar. i find that as the pasta absorbs the liquid after a day in the refrig that you have to add some more - i use mild or cream and more olorossa mixed for the job.
david creighton
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:24 am

Congratulations, Eden! Let us know where to show up for the reception. :D
no avatar