Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any advice for mini-tarts/"quiches"?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Any advice for mini-tarts/"quiches"?

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:06 pm

I'm planning a dinner party for this weekend and want to do a mini-tart/"quiche" for the first course. By this I mean putting dough in a muffin tin, adding the filling, and then serving individual tart portions.

In the past I have done this with squash, sort of like a savory pumpkin pie, but I'm planning a squash dish for the main course, so I'm looking for something different.

I also hesitate to do a real "quiche" with eggs and dairy, because I'm making custard for dessert.

So, am looking for an interesting filling, probably vegetable based, that would pair well with white wine (i.e. no beets)??

FWIW, had planned to serve a 2005 Epire Savennieres Cuvee Speciale with this dish, but could always choose another wine, so feel free to suggest away!!
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Any advice for mini-tarts/"quiches"?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:48 pm

How about something like a layered onion tart with mushrooms, sprinkled with gruyere? You could saute the vegetables in a dry white wine and reduce it before baking. Maybe top with just a subtle background hint of nutmeg.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:27 pm

My first thought was something involving onion and cheese as well. Maybe caramelized onion, ricotta or goat cheese, and ???

Not sure how this would work if the shells are on the deeper side, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:46 pm

I think it could work well with puff pastry, don't you, Mike? Just be a denser filling than thinly layered in a traditional tart format.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:57 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:I think it could work well with puff pastry, don't you, Mike? Just be a denser filling than thinly layered in a traditional tart format.

Mmmm, yeah. That would be nice.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Dec 11, 2007 11:59 pm

That is an interesting idea, although the depth of the tart is an issue. Will see how many different muffin tins I have and think about it.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:04 am

You wouldn't get the same deep shape, but you could always cut rounds of pastry of whatever kind and bake them on a sheet pan. Then plate them separately.

I actually have mini-tartlet tins that cost me about $10 for 6 and they are perfect. If you were closer, I'd loan them to you!
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:11 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:You wouldn't get the same deep shape, but you could always cut rounds of pastry of whatever kind and bake them on a sheet pan. Then plate them separately.

I actually have mini-tartlet tins that cost me about $10 for 6 and they are perfect. If you were closer, I'd loan them to you!

Aha, good point. Think outside the muffin tin!

Thanks for the loan thought as well :wink:
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:16 am

Onion and cheese is ALWAYS good.

One other possibility is to blind bake the shells, then do a separate filling (IOW, use the crusts as baskets). I'm thinking small cubes of cooked potato and celeriac in a mustard sauce (like a remoulade), or maybe chopped sun dried tomatoes, small cubes of fresh mozzarella, and thyme. Eggplant, olives, raisin, and a bit of cinnamon and red pepper. Something appetizer-y.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:32 am

I agree, anything wih onions and mushrooms will be fantastic. But, why go to the trouble with muffin tins. I find that a quarter sheet pan is ideal in both size and depth for mini quiches. I can sometimes get as many as 24 bite sized quiche squares out of each pan. Let us know how it turns out.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:55 pm

There's been a lot of talk about leeks in other posts- how about leek/ham/cheese or leek and salmon, crab or shrimp. Perhaps too ordinaire but always good combos. A melange of fresh and dried mushrooms could be more interesting. Perhaps artichoke, olive and parm - like Jenise's palmiere spread.
Fun to think about. I'm hosting a bunch of french horn players next weekend and will be interested in your final decision - I need some inspiration myself !
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:02 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:But, why go to the trouble with muffin tins. I find that a quarter sheet pan is ideal in both size and depth for mini quiches. I can sometimes get as many as 24 bite sized quiche squares out of each pan..

How do you get the quiches to hold their shape while baking on the pan? That's why I prefer the muffin tin, it gives me a good shape.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:04 pm

Thanks for all the advice, I think mushrooms onions and cheese sounds good.

My backup idea was some sort of vegetable puree, but the texture wouldn't have been as nice once it baked. So with this idea, I think the cheese would help keep the sauteed mushrooms and onions together, without resorting to eggs and milk..

Looking forward..
no avatar
User

Frank Deis

Rank

Wine guru

Fri Nov 09, 2007 12:20 pm

NJ

by Frank Deis » Thu Dec 13, 2007 12:22 pm

You guys are so sedate. Every time I read the title of this topic, what comes to mind (advice for mini-tarts) is along the lines of:

use protection

wait til you are older

etc.

Is it just my avuncular nature?

F
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:02 pm

Rahsaan, mushrooms and onions was also my first thought. My second, after reading everyone else's post and your description of your other courses, went toward filling those cups with a warm ratatoille, or even layered and re-baked, something like the filling in this torte:

http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?t=9564&highlight=eggplant
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Dec 13, 2007 11:15 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:But, why go to the trouble with muffin tins. I find that a quarter sheet pan is ideal in both size and depth for mini quiches. I can sometimes get as many as 24 bite sized quiche squares out of each pan..

How do you get the quiches to hold their shape while baking on the pan? That's why I prefer the muffin tin, it gives me a good shape.
Unless your custard is runny, that will not be a problem, especially if you are serving at room temperature.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Dec 15, 2007 6:55 pm

Thanks everyone, I did onion confit, roasted leek, sage, and gruyere tarts, and the whole table was pleased.

I wanted mushrooms, but the farmer's market on Thursday was small and didn't have any. But, the dish was lovely, and will keep it in mind with moderations for the future..
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:12 pm

Sounds delicious! Glad it worked out for you.