Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Recipe Reminder: Eden's roasted veggies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

Recipe Reminder: Eden's roasted veggies

by TraciM » Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:05 am

Forgive me for reposting if someone already has, but wanted to remind everyone of this terrific dish. It's totally a staple around here. And, last night it was a perfect accompaniment to roasted pork chops.

Topic: RC: Eden''s roasted sweet potatoes, carmelized onions & crispy kale
Author: Jenise (reposting)
Date: Wed Mar 28 21:42:23 2001
I just came across the following post from Eden in a discussion below about kale, and the recipe is so enchanting to contemplate I thought it deserved a place in the archives so I''m reposting it on Eden''s behalf for general consideration. --Jenise
My absolute favorite way to make kale (and then consume it by the ton) is in the following side dish. (A variation on an epicurious recipe but with my own twists -- sorry, but I almost never have exact amounts, so nearly everything is to taste.)

*Roasted Sweet Potatoes, Caramelized Shallots, and Crispy Kale*

Coupla sweet potatoes
Nice sized bunch of kale
Several shallots
4 or 8 or however many cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt and black pepper
Balsamic and/or red wine vinegar
(Optional: baby white potatoes)

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut the sweet potatoes (and white potatoes, if using) into 1/2" dice. Cut shallots into wedges (I usually halve or quarter, depending on size). Toss all with a little olive oil, s & p. Spread on baking pan(s)/sheet(s) in an even layer (not mounded). Take unpeeled individual cloves of garlic, wrap in a small ball of aluminum foil, and nestle in with the veggies. Roast approx 20 minutes until all is cooked through nicely, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and set aside.

Wash & de-stem kale and cut into 1" strips (neatness is not an issue here). Toss with a little olive oil and s & p. Again, spread in even layers on baking pans and roast in oven - only about 10 minutes this time - stirring once or twice, and remove once the kale has gotten crispy.

Remove garlic cloves from foil and peel them. In small bowl, mash the garlic and add a couple of tablespoons vinegar. Salt and pepper to taste. Combine all veggies in large bowl and toss with the garlic/vinegar dressing. Serve immediately.

*Note: you can cook the veggies and make the dressing quite a while in advance (just don''t refrigerate the kale, or it will soften). Toss dressing just before serving. This dish is great warm or at room temperature.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Recipe Reminder: Eden's roasted veggies

by Jenise » Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:36 am

Traci, great repost. You know what, after making Eden's recipe I too made the dish, and have remade it a number of times since (sometimes just to oven roast the kale, a method I had not considered before), but over time I started making it with butternut squash and didn't realize until reading this that it was originally sweet potatoes!
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:56 am

Oh my gosh, Jenise, we have SOOOOOO many good recipes from this board. Honestly, it's the first place I search (archives mainly, because I remember the discussions) when I'm looking for a recipe or idea. Lotta house staples have come from here...
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:50 pm

We just roast the kale as a side whenever we can't think of a green for dinner. Probably have this 2 -3 times a month.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:28 pm

Howard, do you ever subsittute Tuscan black kale? I've never done it on the oven method since I'm so partial to the curly texture done that way, but I otherwise prefer black kale to all the others, and it deep fries to an amazingly beautiful emerald green for garnishing a filet of salmon-colored steelhead trout.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Sat Dec 15, 2007 4:11 pm

Haven't had the tuscan black kale but I've tried "dinosaur" kale which was also very good. I love the idea of deep frying for an emerald green for a garnish. I'll have to try it.

filet of salmon-colored steelhead trout

Son #1 and I are going steelhead fishing in March. Can't wait.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:45 pm

Howard, dinosaur kale? This is a new term to me. Whazzat?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:35 pm

Hey Jenise,
Guess what? I just looked it up to get you a picture and another name for dinosaur kale is.......

Yup- Tuscan Kale!!

http://www.growingpower.org/identifying_greens.htm

Our parallel universes are sometimes scary.
Howard
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Thanks Traci for repost. I sent this to Betsy and she made Wed. Absolute winner of a recipe, after 2 bites I said the magic words ("do again, do again!"). The only change was next time we'll definitely do the balsamic rather than red wine. In our house we use my homemade red wine vinegar, and something a little sweeter/subtler would be better.