Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Onion quiche

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

RCP: Onion quiche

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Dec 16, 2007 1:21 pm

Stuart asked some questions about this when I posted the photos in the Life in Pictures thread in the F&F forum.

Dead easy. Something simple to throw together when there isn't anything in the house because I haven't gone shopping. I've tried to make it into a recipe format, but it's not something that needs to be very precise.

pastry for one pie dish (bottom crust only)

1 large onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup or so dry or semi-dry white wine (I used one called "Seasons" that I picked up at Bully Hill for something like $7.00 last summer)
4 large eggs
1 cup milk or cream (I only had fat-free milk, and it worked just fine)
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
pinch of thyme
1 tsp or so nutmeg

Preheat the oven to 425F.

Melt the butter in a skillet and add the onions. After a minute or so, add the white wine. Cook until the onions are translucent but not caramelized. Important: let the liquid evaporate.

Meanwhile, beat the eggs in a bowl with a fork and mix in the milk. Stir in the thyme and parmesan cheese.

Line a pie dish with the pastry.

Arrange the onions over the pastry... or do what I did... just dump them in and smooth them into a fairly uniform depth with a spatula. Pour the egg mixture over the onions.

Sprinkle the top with nutmeg.

Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until the crust is brown and the quiche filling is golden. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.

Serve with a green salad or steamed broccoli.

Notes:

Most people tend to cook a quiche at too low a temperature and pull it just a little too soon to achieve the look below.

I also make this and other quiches without a crust if I am in a hurry to get something on the table. (Grease the dish well!) When good tomatoes are again available, I'll post my favorite ever quiche recipe.