Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Party clumping

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Party clumping

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:14 pm

We went to a Xmas party last night for children's writers. A huge house with lots of open space and rooms, but everyone was clumped in the kitchen. It's always like that. What do you think causes that phenomenon?
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

Re: Party clumping

by Ian Sutton » Sun Dec 16, 2007 3:55 pm

Pack instinct. Often well-ingrained in school!
no avatar
User

Max Hauser

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:57 pm

Usually western US

by Max Hauser » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:30 pm

Just as when you have an office environment with cubicles, and people passing though and stopping to talk always seem to do so in the narrowest passages, blocking them, when big open spaces nearby go empty. It may be a fundamental principle of nature, related to lipid deposits collecting in arteries ...

Kitchen as meeting place can be especially problematic if a cook is busy there even if it's one of the hosts. One professional catering coobook has a section how to manage the clients and guests, and especially how to anticipate and prevent party guests wandering into the kitchen (glass in hand) to watch or eagerly chat, which are not always what the cook is there for. (I could have used those tips in the past.)
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:43 pm

Everyone feels comfortable hanging out in a kitchen. It's what we all did as kids, and it was the center of social activity. Hard to overcome, and I'm not sure I want to.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:02 pm

Isn't the kitchen where the kids' table is?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:18 am

Max Hauser wrote:Just as when you have an office environment with cubicles, and people pOne professional catering coobook has a section how to manage the clients and guests, and especially how to anticipate and prevent party guests wandering into the kitchen (glass in hand) to watch or eagerly chat, which are not always what the cook is there for. (I could have used those tips in the past.)

Does it mention Kung Pao Chicken or Mahogany Rice Noodles as ways to drive the guests out of the kitchen? Both release copious capsicum fumes of exquisite potency. :twisted:

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:41 am

I've done that to my own wife. >cough< >cough<
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:05 am

Martin Gardner has a pretty explanation of clumping theory, Larry.

Gardner doesn't deal with your particular example, but except for the cook, guests and empty spaces can be though of as randomly distributed throughout the house.
no avatar
User

Eden B.

Rank

Wine geek

Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:35 pm

by Eden B. » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:20 am

People tend to clump around food or activity. To more evenly distribute revelers, I always make sure there are noshables or beverages in a couple of different locations.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:00 am

Bob Ross wrote:Martin Gardner has a pretty explanation of clumping theory, Larry.

Gardner doesn't deal with your particular example, but except for the cook, guests and empty spaces can be though of as randomly distributed throughout the house.

I've always been a fan of Gardner. He also mentions the other clumping phenomenon that bugs me: how cars clump together on a highway.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:51 am

The interesting thing about highway clumping is that it actually speeds up traffic throughput. On some highway systems, cars are stopped to create clumps. Apparently the spaces between clumps leaves space, so that a slow down in one clump has less chance of slowing down other clumps.

Same thing is done on a oil pipeline that runs near our farm in Wisconsin and in coal slurry transport.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:20 pm

Have you ever noticed how queues also clump, like at checkouts?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:27 pm

Sometimes the checkout clumps are because the better checkers are working those lines.
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:56 pm

Blacken a redfish or 2 Larry. That'll drive em' out..you too, most likely.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:40 pm

Larry,
You already knew this but I will say it anyway. Back at the turn of the 20th century when I was a young lad, the kitchen was the natural family gathering place. There were natural reasons for this. in winter it was the warmest room in the house, given that the kitchen stove was always lit. In the evening we could sit around the kitchen table and play card games, do our home work, or just read a book and be warm. Then of course there was always some kind of good smells in the kitchen. My theory is that down through the years gathering in the kitchen became ingrained, so ingrained, that in this time when most people thaw and heat instead of cook, it is just in the bones to gather in the kitchen. That is my story and I am sticking to it. Just before hitting the send button on this, I decided to recommend that we get Tom Hill to weigh in here since he is older than even I am. And he is from Kansas to boot.
Bob Henrick