Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Any knife accidents lately??

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Any knife accidents lately??

by John F » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:06 am

I was working the other night with an extremely sharp Japanese knife that I rarely use. While carving a roast chicken I nearly sliced the tip of my left pinky off - YOWSERS!!!!

it felt like the world's biggest paper cut - not really painful but you knew somethign bad just happened.

And the weird thing is just a few days before I was thinking to myself that for all the time I use serious knives I couldn't remember the last time I had a cut.

Any advice on how to avoid this in the future other than be careful? Just an occupational hazard?
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: Any knife accidents lately??

by Bob Ross » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:19 am

Ouch! :( At least the loss was "nearly".

At Boot Camp, our instructor repeated at least once a day:

"Curl your fingers under and tuck them in when you are holding whatever you are cutting."

11 of us got it immediately; one student cut herself 10 times in five days.

Each time he intoned:

"Curl your fingers under and tuck them in when you are holding whatever you are cutting."

It feels awkward at first, but when I wasn't able to see a few years ago, I could still chop and cut meat and vegeables by remembering his mantra.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:28 am

Well Laura had successful surgery to re-attach a tendon in her thumb after a Thanksgiving cheese slicing incident. Her follow-up appointment is today & we're anticipating two more weeks in a restrictive brace. So she's a one-armed bandit for now - I get to do all the cooking (which I usually do), dishes, gift wrapping, driving, carrying (at least anything without handles), laundry (I usually do it anyway), etc. Given how tired I am I cannot believe that my Mom managed to do everything around the house for decades without killing me or my Father. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Dec 18, 2007 9:29 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Well Laura had successful surgery to re-attach a tendon in her thumb after a Thanksgiving cheese slicing incident

Wow. What kind of cheese?

My wife was usually good for at least one or two trips to the ER per year for cuts, though nothing that serious, thank goodness. Her knife skills have improved dramatically - I'll bet they don't even remember her name there, anymore.
It's been a while since I've cut myself badly enough to have to stop what I was doing - many years.

Best to your wife - I hope she heals quickly.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:04 am

Not any special extra-hard cheese - just a slip with a bad result.

She's getting better. Today will tell us a lot.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:22 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Well Laura had successful surgery to re-attach a tendon in her thumb after a Thanksgiving cheese slicing incident. Her follow-up appointment is today & we're anticipating two more weeks in a restrictive brace. So she's a one-armed bandit for now - I get to do all the cooking (which I usually do), dishes, gift wrapping, driving, carrying (at least anything without handles), laundry (I usually do it anyway), etc. Given how tired I am I cannot believe that my Mom managed to do everything around the house for decades without killing me or my Father. :wink:

Yikes! That was a bad one. Back in college, I sliced through a tendon in my right pinkie while in the organic chemistry lab. The finger still works although it's a little stiff. I had no physical therapy following the surgery, though, and I'm sure that won't be the case for Laura.

Please give her our best.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:05 am

Haven't had any accidents for years, but I do remember once reaching into the dishwasher and poking a deep cut in the end of my fingertip from a steak knife whose blade was sticking up and angled so I didn't see it. Not much pain the first day, but the following days--yowie!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:51 am

We have a knife, one of those serrated-edge German ones about 9 inches long that cost about a million dollars, which had cut everyone in my family of 5 except me. We routinely call it the Devil Knife. Well it got me this past weekend, just a little piece of skin, like a slivered almond. I still love that knife. It is so sharp that you don’t even know you’ve been cut until someone else points out the blood!
no avatar
User

ScottD

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:48 pm

by ScottD » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:05 pm

Haven't done anything too drastic lately (he looks around for wood to touch). I guess my last one was with the Chinese chef knife I use about twice a year, but I've never damaged myself badly enough to require stitches.

But I remember a Christmas Eve many moons ago when my dad ended up in the ER following a slip with the oyster knife. Ho, ho, ho! (oops, that's not PC anymore, I meant Ha, ha, ha!)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:46 pm

John, the little finger and index finger of my left hand are currently bandaged, the result of having to butcher five whole beef tenderloins on Saturday. I know the curl-finger principal but this was lots and lots of cutting, and I'm a bit klutzy. Doesn't usually happen with day to day tasks. But if it does--I keep finger cots around. They're like a little one-finger condom--first apply a bandage and then one of those, and you can continue working and safely handle food.

David, hope you get good news from Laura's doctor today.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:06 pm

Was trimming some fat off a piece of butterflied lamb leg last Saturday with a very sharp boning knife and hit my left index finger. The bandage came off this morning. Other than care, don't know how to prevent these things.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:51 pm

Jenise wrote:--I keep finger cots around. They're like a little one-finger condom--first apply a bandage and then one of those, and you can continue working and safely handle food.

Or do hand soldering to NASA standards...
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:11 pm

Jenise wrote:John, the little finger and index finger of my left hand are currently bandaged, the result of having to butcher five whole beef tenderloins on Saturday. I know the curl-finger principal but this was lots and lots of cutting, and I'm a bit klutzy. Doesn't usually happen with day to day tasks. But if it does--I keep finger cots around. They're like a little one-finger condom--first apply a bandage and then one of those, and you can continue working and safely handle food.

David, hope you get good news from Laura's doctor today.

Aren't there butcher's gloves out there that have some kind of cut-proof mesh? That might work when you have so many filets to fillet.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:24 pm

Jenise wrote:--I keep finger cots around. They're like a little one-finger condom--
Many years ago I had to wear them for a job I had - counting sheets of sandpaper - 10 hours a day - 50 hours a week. Talk about boring. :roll:
Larry Greenly wrote:Aren't there butcher's gloves out there that have some kind of cut-proof mesh? That might work when you have so many filets to fillet.
My son wears gloves like that where he works, handling sheet metal at construction sites.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:31 pm

David, have you forgotten the old adage "Mens work is from sun to sun, Womens work is Never done". Now you know the truth of the adage don't you.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Dec 18, 2007 7:21 pm

So update: 3 more weeks of the splint on her thumb to prevent movement, so 3 more weeks of everything done by me. Things are healing though. Stitches came out today.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 18, 2007 8:57 pm

I've never gotten any bad cuts....lots of little ones. Several years ago I decided to invest in good knives and keep them very sharp. My daughter-in-law tells me I have good knife skills....I am still trying to master the curled finger technique. One thing I hate tho.....when I am really doing some serious chopping with my chef knife and am very focused, suddenly my husband appears and starts talking. He knows better now, because once I flipped the knife out of my hand.
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:55 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:So update: 3 more weeks of the splint on her thumb to prevent movement, so 3 more weeks of everything done by me. Things are healing though. Stitches came out today.

Dear David,

Boy, hope she is all the way better in the end.

Maybe you should hire a cleaning service, as a medical aid. My wife and I are pretty good about splitting the household duties, but when she is sick for even a few days I run out of time and energy to get everything done myself. I simply don't know what the people with 90 minute commutes and kids do.

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:15 pm

wnissen wrote: I simply don't know what the people with 90 minute commutes and kids do.

Walt

Luckily we have a 15 minute commute and no kids. :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Dec 19, 2007 9:31 pm

I use very sharp Chinese cleavers as my main knife in culinary operations.

What Bob said about curling the fingertips under when cutting.

Even so, over the years both my index fingers have had a bit sliced off the ends when the knife slipped and I hadn't been taking proper precaution. Oddly, not painful, but they bled like nobody's business.

Nothing bad lately, fortunately.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:40 am

You mean, like this?

rwj
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:02 pm

Well there goes the filet I had for lunch with a fine Calif Merlot. Thank for the pic, Robert! :lol:
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:11 pm

"cots"

Piling on -- essential kitchen equipment here.

Never thankfully for cutting myself cooking.

But I'm always banging up my hands and fingers as a half a***d handyman ... and the cots protect the food during prep.

I change them from time to time, basically between each ingredient that I have to manipulate.

Great hint, Jenise.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:27 pm

Jenise wrote: But if it does--I keep finger cots around. They're like a little one-finger condom--first apply a bandage and then one of those, and you can continue working and safely handle food.

We call them "Squirrel condoms."

rwj
Next