Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Gorgonzola cheesecake with polenta crust

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Gorgonzola cheesecake with polenta crust

by Jenise » Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:23 pm

This is the recipe that Traci mentioned (from the old FLDG):

Date: 30-Nov-2004 16:30
Author: Jenise Email
Subject: RC: Gorgonzola Cheesecake w/Polenta Crust
View Parent message

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This yummy savory style cheesecake was served to me at a wine tasting last week in Mt. Vernon, and the cook was kind enough to share her recipe. Something I liked/loved about it was not just the delish taste, but the way it held together so perfectly, allowing small slices that didn't fall apart. For large parties, it would also lend itself well to a shallow-depth cheesecake baked in a jellyroll pan that you then cut into squares. It would flatter almost any wine.

Further attribution unavailable--she gave me a xerox copy that doesn't give me a clue about where it was copied from. I've rearranged the recipe to put it in the order of what needs to be done first, but otherwise am copying it as given.

Set oven to 325 F.

Begin the filling:

2 1/2 lbs cream cheese
1 lb Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
5 eggs
12 cloves roasted garlic

Roast the garlic by wrapping the unpeeled cloves in foil with a drizzle of olive oil and placing in the oven for about 20 minutes. Peel before use. Separately, place the cheeses in a large mixing bowl to warm and soften.

While the garlic's roasting and the cheese is softening, make the crust:

The Crust:

1/2 c cornmeal
1 1/2 cup water
1/2 t salt
1 tblsp dry basil
1 tblsp garlic, minced
1/4 c shredded/grated parmesan

Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan. Stir in cornmeal, garlic, salt and basil. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Fold in parmesan cheese, then cool for about five minutes. Press warm 'crust' into the bottom of a 10" springform pan, smooth the surface, set aside.

When the cheese is soft, add the eggs--they'll blend easily by hand if you add them one at a time. Pour the cheese filling into the springform pan. Tap lightly on the counter to remove air bubbles. Place the roasted garlic around the perimeter of the pan at equal distance.

Bake approximately one hour until internal temperature is 160 degrees or the cake springs back when lightly jiggled. Allow to cool on the counter for at least one hour. Serve warm or at room temp with toasted baguette or crackers. Keeps one week in the refrigerator.