Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Slow Roasting Cheap Meat? Sometimes It Pays To Follow The Rules!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Slow Roasting Cheap Meat? Sometimes It Pays To Follow The Rules!

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Budget constraints steered us away from the standing rib roast and toward a hunk of USDA Choice bovine beastie whose name tag read "Beef Round Tip, Cap Off." It weighed in at 6-1/2 lbs. and cost about $18.00. It was fairly well marbled, but there was no slab of fat on the outside. (Maybe this missing slab is the cap which was off?) I'm guessing this was sirloin tip, but have yet to sort out exactly what cut this was, although I know generally that it comes from the part of the cow which goes through the barn door last ... provided the cow isn't backing in.

The carcass slept peacefully in the bottom of my fridge for about 48 hours, although I prefer to dry age for 72 hours or more. I allowed the meat to come to room temperature, massaged it with Wesson oil just until it glistened like a bikini-clad starlet at poolside, and then rubbed in a very liberal amount of kosher salt and freshly crushed pepper ... pulverized with my own little mortar and pestle. (And, no, I don't pronounce the "t" in "pestle.")

I positioned it on a rack in a pan which had some chunky mirepoix in it, placed it in an oven preheated to 250º F, and then dropped the heat to 200º F. This is where I left it for five hours until the temperature probe read 140º F. (I guessed this would give me about 10.º F of carryover for a medium roast.)

What was interesting was that a wonderful peppery, black crust had formed on the outside of the meat. I imagine slow roasting like this eliminates the need for searing or a high heat blast. The inside was medium rare and there was almost no carryover cooking. Perhaps this is another result of slow roasting. The actual taste of the meat was just OK, function of the cheap cut, but it wasn't bad and will make some tasty sandwiches this week. Suprisingly, it was as tender as butter.

In any event, what could have been a real disappointment due to our niggardliness turned out to be a fairly tasty treat. And, I think, all I did was follow the rules.
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

GeoCWeyer

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:24 pm

WoodburyMN

Re: Slow Roasting Cheap Meat? Sometimes It Pays To Follow The Rules!

by GeoCWeyer » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:53 pm

When I am braising meat especially something without A LOT of fat I first marinade it in my good to meat marinade for 2 hours. ...3 Qts water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar. That seems to keep it moist.
I love the life I live and live the life I love*, and as Mark Twain said, " Always do well it will gratify the few and astonish the rest".

*old blues refrain
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Slow Roasting Cheap Meat? Sometimes It Pays To Follow The Rules!

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:34 pm

GeoCWeyer wrote:When I am braising meat especially something without A LOT of fat I first marinade it in my good to meat marinade for 2 hours. ...3 Qts water, 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup sugar. That seems to keep it moist.

This cut of meat was probably better suited to a wet preparation such as braising. The pleasant surprise was that it came out so well just using dry heat. It was most likely a fluke, never to happen again!! :lol:
And now what?