Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Le Creuset skillets?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

Le Creuset skillets?

by Greg H » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:31 am

For those of you who have used a le Creuset skillets, how do you like them? With the enameled cook surface over cast iron, are they less prone to sticking and easier to clean up than standard cast iron? Do they need to be seasoned?

How well do they work with induction burners?

Thanks.

G
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Le Creuset skillets?

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:47 pm

Can't help you on the induction burner part of your question, Greg, but I love LC's products! No, they don't need to be seasoned.

I have two of their covered Dutch ovens and I use them all the time for everything. The clean up is a snap.

New Year's Eve I made onion soup in one of them, and you know how the onions need to be caramelized and really golden? They were perfect, and the butter/oil/onion residue came off with just a sponge.

My best friend has LC that was her grandmother's and it is still in perfect shape.

The only drawback with the skillets is the weight, but if you can use cast iron with ease, then you can use these too. And they are pretty!
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:35 pm

Cynthia,

Thanks. Folks rave about well seasoned cast iron skillets. I would love to have one, but despite my best efforts, I have never been able to generate a good well seasoned cast iron skillet. Things always stick to them when I cook with them.

Have you ever cooked something really sticky in one of your LCs like an egg?

G
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:02 pm

I haven't done eggs in LC because I own a couple All Clad non-stick skillets. But, it's an interesting question and I think I'll go try it.

I do use them for puddings and fondues with no problem.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:34 pm

Cynthia, if you do give it a try, I would appreciate hearing about your observations.

G
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Greg, I *love* LC products. Don't have one of their skillets, but I have extensive experience with their Dutch Ovens and nothing browns more evenly. Great stuff. About the induction, I just checked the LC website on your behalf and it says they can be used on any type of cooker, then they list "induction, gas, electric...." so it's a safe choice for you.
no avatar
User

Doug Surplus

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:17 am

Phoenix AZ

by Doug Surplus » Wed Jan 02, 2008 9:38 pm

I have an LC skillet (and a couple of other items as well) and I used all the time. My fave i sto sear pork chops and then pop it all in the oven to finish. Also works great with lamb chops.
Doug

If God didn't want me to eat animals, why did He make them out of meat?
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:29 pm

Thanks all, I appreciate hearing about your experiences.

G
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:41 pm

Piling on....

My home experience with Dutch ovens is terrific. Best kitchen purchase ever made.

My cooking partner (Stuart's not the only one with a cooking partner) has an entire set of LC--the whole damn line up. She also has induction burners. They work just fine.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:31 am

I own Le Creuset Dutch Oven, Skillet, Saucier, Grill Pan, Ramekins, Mixing bowls, Water Pitcher... yeah, about everything.

The clean up is easy. They look great. Work excellent both on the stove and in it.

The only thing I don't use my LC for is super sticky things like (as you say) eggs/omelets. I have an All-Clad MC2 for that. It's not that I couldn't use my Le Creuset Skillet for eggs, but with the technology of All-Clad being non-stick and still browning, it is the better tool. I also have an All-Clad Crepe pan for the ease of use when making crepes (which I love beyond all reason).

Le Creuset has amazing heat retention and distribution, though.

Aside from eggs, as I stated above, it is great that the Le Creuset cast iron enameled products do not get heat sapped out of them when cold/frozen food it placed on them (nothing worse than trying to flash sear something that cools the entire pan), however if you are cooking food that needs to reach a peak temperature and then immediately cooled, I don't use LC. Cast iron will continue to cook long after the burner is off.

Oh, and the other thing, Le Creuset are so damn beautiful.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:32 am

TraciM wrote:Piling on....

My home experience with Dutch ovens is terrific. Best kitchen purchase ever made.

My cooking partner (Stuart's not the only one with a cooking partner) has an entire set of LC--the whole damn line up. She also has induction burners. They work just fine.

Hey, Traci! Long time no see!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:06 pm

I own Le Creuset Dutch Oven, Skillet, Saucier, Grill Pan, Ramekins, Mixing bowls, Water Pitcher
Dont forget the codpiece
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

by Greg H » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:34 pm

Have folks also used the skillet to make cornbread?
no avatar
User

Ray Juskiewicz

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:28 pm

Seattle

by Ray Juskiewicz » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:44 am

It seems like this point has been made, but I'll add an anecdote.

I once needed to make a double batch of a ragu that I am very fond of. It is made with baby back ribs and italian sausage and ends with a two hour stay in a 300 degree oven.

Since I only had one LC dutch oven, I used an All-Clad stockpot right beside it. When I opened the two pots I was amazed. The LC was perfect as usual. But the All-Clad showed almost no reduction at all and was watery. I had to simmer it on the stovetop for a while to get the consistency where it needed to be.

A lesson learned in using the proper equipment. If I have to make that double batch again I'll buy another LC dutch oven.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Boston

by JoePerry » Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:18 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
I own Le Creuset Dutch Oven, Skillet, Saucier, Grill Pan, Ramekins, Mixing bowls, Water Pitcher
Dont forget the codpiece

Don't cheapen this thread! :shock:
no avatar
User

Oliver McCrum

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:08 am

Oakland, CA; Cigliè, Piedmont

by Oliver McCrum » Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:03 pm

I used to use LC for everything, then I bought some Kitchen Aid pans (a bit like All-Clad) and found that I much preferred them for pan-frying or for getting a good color on braises at the beginning. I still use my LC dutch oven for many other things, though.

The only thing about cleaning LC is that you don't want to be too rough on it, the surface will eventually abrade. I don't use metal tools in mine, either, after getting some nicks in the surface.
Oliver
Oliver McCrum Wines
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:14 pm

LC rocks. Period.

rwj
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:27 pm

I not long ago bought an enamel coated cast iron Dutch Oven by Daniel Boulud. WOW -- this has opened up a whole new world of cooking for me. I love LC, but found it a bit out of my league. DB is the same thing but at a more attainable price (for me). The only problem is, I've not seen very many pieces or vendors. If you run across a site where I can purchase more, prey -- do tell. Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:48 pm

Sorry folks, we do ScanPan. Love 'em!