Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What's for dinner?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

What's for dinner?

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:56 pm

Here, if my UPS delivery comes in time for me to escape to the store for ingredients, it will be Egyptian Paella.

What, you will want to know, is that? Well, this morning I got up and watched a Travel Channel program I've never seen before but DVR'd yesterday called Floyd on the Mediterranean. The host, Floyd, is a convivial English gent who smoked a hookah and visited a few mummies in Cairo, then sailed to Asswan, and in both places got someone to lend him a kitchen where he made some local foods. He claimed the Egyptians had been making open, shallow-panned rice dishes similar to paella for centuries, and he then made one. More toward Indian than Spanish, the dish contained "excessive", as he put it, quantities of finely diced onion (maybe a cup and a half), garlic, (three, maybe four, heaping tablespoons), cardamom seed, cumin seed, diced green and red chiles, rice and chicken broth, then once it was close to done in another pan he sauteed first shrimp, then fresh mango slices, and dumped each into the rice with handfuls of fresh cilantro.

I must have this.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: What's for dinner?

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:00 pm

Wow, was that Keith Floyd? He's always been a favorite of mine.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:16 pm

Dinner will be created from whatever looks good at the grocery store tonight. If I actually get there. Otherwise, it will be eggs. Again. :roll:
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:34 pm

I'm in the "going to store" group. I'm hoping to get salmon and maybe some veggies to go with. Store says it's wild alaskan for $7.99/lb. If that doesn't look good who knows. We had a mixed grill of skirt steak and chicken last night and spaghetti and meatballs the night before. I try to keep our dinners interesting and not serve the same main ingredient on consecutive nights. Tomorrow we eat out...again.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:02 pm

Still way too early to decide over here, too. Heck, it's only 3 p.m.! :D

Probably something simple and light, though. We did one big review dinner Wednesday and have another coming up tomorrow night, so self-defense calls for something like a simple pasta dish or omelet or something.
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:21 pm

I am going to make a brined pork chop that is grilled and finished with a drizzle of "tradizionale" balsamic vinegar.
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:58 pm

Dinner will be chez Claude and David. She's French, he's not, and together they create some interesting menus. She says it's going to be an Italian chicken dish. I offered to bring something, so she asked me to bring sauteed apples with walnuts, as accompaniment for her "chocolate cake, but it's dry." I already don't like this idea, but I'll bring the apples, caramelized. (This should be a tarte tatin, but oh well.) It will be a chance for me to bring along some of my older Italian wines that need to be opened.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:05 pm

The apples and chocolate cake sounds wierd to me, too, Ines, but I know that dinner with Claude and David is always interesting so we shall not worry. Hey, you're home? Your phone's about to ring--that will be me.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:35 pm

I ended up with a pork loin rib end roast. Not sure what to do with it. I figure maybe roast it to about 145 deg. Should I stuff it somehow. I have some feta, blue cheese, frozen spinach, pine nuts, bread crumbs, onions, garlic, etc. Should I sear it first? Any ideas?
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:39 pm

Dinner will be Parsi Dhansak (dal and vegetables).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:I ended up with a pork loin rib end roast. Not sure what to do with it. I figure maybe roast it to about 145 deg. Should I stuff it somehow. I have some feta, blue cheese, frozen spinach, pine nuts, bread crumbs, onions, garlic, etc. Should I sear it first? Any ideas?

Linda, ever stuff it with garlic? Make a lot of slits, stuff slices of garlic into them, rub (and I mean rub, work it in!) the roast all over with more garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary, or a combination of good dried herbs. Put the roast whole into a ziploc bag so the flavorings can't get away and let marinate for a few hours, then roast away.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Dinner ? Goodness, it's 9.35am here, Saturday morning ! :)

But I have just pulled 8 loaves of sourdough out of the oven, so it'll probably be bread related. One of the loaves is stuffed with last night's mexican mince concoction (nothing mexican about it, apart from the fact that the spice mix I used had the word "Mexican" in it). Waiting for it to cool so I can cut it - if this works, it could open a new world of stuffed loaves...

Hmmm...still have some leftover mince, maybe I'll make Uncle Robin's meatloaf.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:48 pm

I found a some nice looking swordfish steaks, so I marinated them in white wine, tomato and capers for a few hours and then fried them and added the "marinade" as sauce. I don't know how sophisticated such a simple dish, but I thought it rather tasty.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:57 pm

Jenise wrote:
Linda R. (NC) wrote:I ended up with a pork loin rib end roast. Not sure what to do with it. I figure maybe roast it to about 145 deg. Should I stuff it somehow. I have some feta, blue cheese, frozen spinach, pine nuts, bread crumbs, onions, garlic, etc. Should I sear it first? Any ideas?

Linda, ever stuff it with garlic? Make a lot of slits, stuff slices of garlic into them, rub (and I mean rub, work it in!) the roast all over with more garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and rosemary, or a combination of good dried herbs. Put the roast whole into a ziploc bag so the flavorings can't get away and let marinate for a few hours, then roast away.

Thanks Jenise. I put a couple cloves of garlic into slits, coated with EVOO, rubbed with S&P and dried oregano. Now roasting at 350 F. I didn't have the time to marinate so we'll see what we get.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Chinese take-out here - busy day.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:46 pm

I'm with Howie. Wife and one daughter have colds, wife needs to start a dessert for a dinner party tomorrow night, the weather is cold, windy and wet, and I'm feeling lazy. I think we'll be doing takeout ramen from a nearby Japanese place.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Carrie L.

Rank

Golfball Gourmet

Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:12 am

Extreme Southwest & Extreme Northeast

by Carrie L. » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:48 pm

Jenise, aha! Finally, a Paella my husband would like because he's "not wild about Saffron." (Can you hear the music?) I may have to "cook like an Egyptian." (Wow, I'm in a weird mood. Maybe the new format has me giddy!) The mango sounds interesting... a little bit of sweetness. Hmm.

Tonight we are having Chicken Thighs with Oranges, Olives and Sherry. I think I may have posted the recipe a while back. It's chilly here today, so it'll be a warm and cozy dish for tonight.
Hello. My name is Carrie, and I...I....still like oaked Chardonnay. (Please don't judge.)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:05 pm

Last night it was Sicilian Sfincione and salad; tonight it's fried chicken, mashed taters and some kind of vege.
no avatar
User

Fred Sipe

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:34 am

Sunless Rust-Belt NE Ohio

by Fred Sipe » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:09 pm

Comfort food on a lousy winter night.

Swiss steak and scalloped potatoes with a Malbec.

I'm smelling it cooking right now...
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:52 pm

Lentil soup. Bread. Salad.
I'm also thawing out some shrimp, but I haven't decided how I'll work them into the meal.
I think I'll sautee them in garlic oil and then sprinkle bread crumbs over them while they're cooking.
So it's settled. Lentil soup. Bread. Shrimp in garlic breadcrumb sauce. Then salad.

Thanks for making me focus.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:47 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Probably something simple and light, though.

Ended up simple, if not too light. ;)

I took the last of the (frozen) sliced eye of the standing rib from Christmas and cut it into cubes - not that much meat, about 10-12 ounces total - and warmed it through with some sauteed onions in a little leftover broth from last night's short ribs, with plenty of black and red pepper and a good shake of Spanish smoked paprika. thickened the sauce with arrowroot and plated it on top of a couple of good-size potato and onion pancakes, with fresh spinach on the side.

It was a fine thing to do with leftover beef, and it went very nicely with a Swanson 2003 Merlot from California Wine Club/Charlie Olken's Connoisseurs' Series.
no avatar
User

TraciM

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:36 pm

Oakland, Ca

by TraciM » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:51 pm

Well, mine didn't involve the store or even much thought. Kind of a 'southern' version of quesadillas---leftover pot roast and collards (from my New Year's Day party), sauteed onions with a combo of cheeses. Not bad...Washing it down currently with a '05 Clos du Caillou VV CdR
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:54 pm

Stir-fried quorn and long beans with rice noodles. Thai-ish flavorings and mighty hot. Anchor Christmas ale to calm the fire.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:58 pm

By the time I got home from work, I was too pooped to do anything but make a toasted cheese sandwich, and follow it with an apple. It's Year-End close at an SEC company, and nerves are frayed this day. :(
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
Next