Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chicken and Dumplings Recipe wanted

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Chicken and Dumplings Recipe wanted

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:57 pm

Okay,
So I'm thinking I would really like to have a bowl of chicken and dumplings for my Sunday dinner this week. Does anyone have an astounding recipe, especially for the light, fluffy, slightly herbed dumplings? Any unique and special vegetable ingredients that I might try adding? Thanks for any suggestions.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

Re: Chicken and Dumplings Recipe wanted

by Barb Freda » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:40 pm

Check out The Silver Palate's recipe which is easy and has always been an enormous hit in my house...

B
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:49 pm

Barb Freda wrote:Check out The Silver Palate's recipe which is easy and has always been an enormous hit in my house...

B

Thx, Barb. Will dust off my copy. Duh!

EDIT:
Just looked in my original Silver Palate cookbook and can't find it. No dumplings in there. Checked their website and can't find it. Can you post, please, or lead me in a direction? Thx.
Last edited by Jo Ann Henderson on Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:53 pm

I second that suggestion. All those in favor?
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:44 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Barb Freda wrote:Check out The Silver Palate's recipe which is easy and has always been an enormous hit in my house...

B

Thx, Barb. Will dust off my copy. Duh!

EDIT:
Just looked in my original Silver Palate cookbook and can't find it. No dumplings in there. Checked their website and can't find it. Can you post, please, or lead me in a direction? Thx.

Dust off your copy of Chef on Fire. - if you can figure out how to use the damn index.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:56 pm

chefjcarey wrote: if you can figure out how to use the damn index.

I haven't made this recipe yet, but all of Joseph's other recipes from the book are great! (I've given several new cooks copies of this book because of the excellent technique instruction and easy to follow and delicious recipes.)

Poached Chicken with Dumplings in on page 138.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:36 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:
chefjcarey wrote: if you can figure out how to use the damn index.

I haven't made this recipe yet, but all of Joseph's other recipes from the book are great! (I've given several new cooks copies of this book because of the excellent technique instruction and easy to follow and delicious recipes.)

Poached Chicken with Dumplings in on page 138.

My copy of The Silver Palate Cookbook does not have this recipe.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 05, 2008 8:41 pm

No, that's page 138 in Chef on Fire. I'm sorry I wasn't more clear. :oops:

But, I also can't find the recipe I've used and I was quite sure it was a Silver Palate recipe. Now I'm wondering if I copied it from someplace and was told it was at the time and just never verified it. Sorry for any misdirection, Jo Ann.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:56 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:Okay,
So I'm thinking I would really like to have a bowl of chicken and dumplings for my Sunday dinner this week. Does anyone have an astounding recipe, especially for the light, fluffy, slightly herbed dumplings? Any unique and special vegetable ingredients that I might try adding? Thanks for any suggestions.

OK, so shoot me!

(1) Box Lipton Onion Soup Mix
(1) Chicken cut into eight pieces
(1) Box Bisquik

Heat your electric fryer to about 325º F.
Brown the chicken pieces well on all sides and remove.
Mix the Liption Onion Soup mix (noodles and all) in the fryer and deglaze.
Mix the dumpling batter according to the instructions on the side of the box of Bisquik. (You can add a few herbs if you want to be creative.)
Put the chicken back in the fryer.
Spoon the dumpling batter onto the top of the chicken.
Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes.

If you insist, you can actually duplicate this using fresh ingredients. I do sometimes using my large Calphalon Dutch oven and I finish it in the oven. Still in all, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings this way and there's something comforting about this preparation ... even if it's too simple for even Rachel Ray to consider using. Yumm-o.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:48 am

Gary Barlettano wrote:OK, so shoot me!

(1) Box Bisquik

shooting gun.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:55 am

Jo Ann, do you still need the recipe ? I've found it on pg 395 of THE NEW BASICS COOKBOOK, which was written by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukin, formerly of the Silver Palate. This is the book they wrote together just after they sold the Silver Palate, and before their acrimonious parting of ways.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:16 am

Bless you, Celia, for now I don't feel like I am completely brain-dead. Just partially! :roll:
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:57 am

Jo Ann, just reread this thread and noticed that you wanted the recipe for Sunday night dinner. I'm off to bed soon, so I thought I'd post it up in case you needed it :

Chicken and Dumplings (NEW BASICS COOKBOOK by Rosso and Lukins)

1 chicken (3 - 4 lbs), cut into 8 pieces
1 tsp paprika
0.5 tsp salt
fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 rib celery, cut into 2 inch pieces
1 carrot, peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 leeks (white part and 1 inch green), well rinsed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 small onion, quartered
4 cups chicken stock

DUMPLINGS

1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
2 Tbsp solid vegetable shortening
1/3 (one third) of a cup milk
chopped fresh parsley, for garnish

1. Rinse chicken pieces well, and pat dry. Combine paprika, salt and pepper in small bowl, and rub this mixture onto the chicken.

2. Heat oil in a dutch oven, and cook chicken over high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Pour off fat from pan.

3. Add vegetables and stock to chicken, and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover, and simmer just until chicken is tender and cooked through, about 45 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken and veges to a platter and keep warm. Reserve the broth in the pot.

4. Make the dumplings: In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, pepper and 2 Tbps of parsley. Using a pastry blender, two knives, or your fingertips, cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Then add the milk, stirring just until the mixture is moistened. Gather the dough into a ball, knead it once or twice, and cut it into 12 pieces.

5. Bring the broth back to a simmer, and drop the dumplings into it. Cover and simmer until they are puffed and cooked through, about 15 minutes.

6. To serve, arrange the chicken, vegetables, and dumplings in four shallow bowls. Ladle some broth into each bowl, and sprinkle with the chopped parsley.

4 portions

Hope it works well !

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:13 am

Thx, Celia. I'll let you know how it turned out. Good night.
no avatar
User

Barb Freda

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 am

Weston, Florida

by Barb Freda » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:09 pm

Glad Celia jumped in on that-that is the one I was thinking of, in New Basics.

b
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:20 pm

Thanks all. Thank you too, Chef Carey. I am well on my way to hammering out something special this morning.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:21 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:

shooting gun.gif

Jo Ann, you beat me to it!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:54 pm

I remember seeing a Cook's Illustrated recipe on TV that looked good. Here's the link: http://www.foodreference.com/html/chicken-dump-806.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:02 pm

With apologies to Chef because I haven't made his recipe (next time!), I generally saute some onions, brown the chicken, add chicken broth and wine and LOTS of sage to just about cover the meat, simmer for about an hour, then make these dumplings, which are the lightest little clouds:

1 cup cake flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
then add 1 egg whisked into about one cup milk until the dough is stiff but wet and sticky. I often add herbs depending on what I have around, or chives and finely chopped peanuts--but just plain they're not lacking a thing. This quantity will make about five tennis ball sized dumplings.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:05 pm

From Tyler Florence. Not an easy recipe, but roasting the chicken beforehand gives the dish several added layers of flavor beyond most other recipes. We usually roast and make stock the day before and complete the dish the next day. Its a great, though lengthy, recipe. Worth it though.

Richard

Roasted Chicken:
1 (3-pound) whole chicken
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 ounces unsalted butter, softened
1 lemon, halved and juiced; halves reserved
1/4-cup fresh chopped herbs, such as thyme, parsley and rosemary
1 onion, halved
4 garlic cloves, smashed
Fresh whole herbs, such as rosemary, thyme and parsley sprigs

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Remove the neck and giblets from the cavity of the chicken and discard. Rinse the chicken under cold water, inside and out. Pat dry thoroughly with paper towels. Season the body and cavity of the chicken generously with salt and pepper.
In a small bowl, mash together the butter, lemon juice, and chopped herbs. Rub the herbed butter all over the chicken, as well as under the skin. Put the lemon halves, onion, garlic, and whole herbs inside the chicken cavity, for added flavor. Tie the legs together with kitchen twine. Place the chicken, breast side up, in a roasting pan fitted with a rack. Roast for 1 hour until the meat is no longer pink. When cool enough to handle, shred the meat, discarding the skin and set aside. Reserve the bones for chicken stock.

Chicken Stock:
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 carrots, cut in large chunks
2 celery stalks, cut in large chunks
1 onion, halved
1 garlic bulb, halved
Reserved chicken bones
2 quarts cold water
4 sprigs fresh parsley
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bay leaves

To prepare the stock, coat a large stockpot with olive oil and place over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saute for 3 minutes. Add the reserved chicken bones, water, and herbs; simmer for 1 hour. Strain the stock to remove the solids and set aside.

Dumplings:
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 to 1 cup buttermilk

To prepare the dumplings: sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In a small bowl, lightly beat the eggs and milk together; pour the liquid in the dry ingredients and gently fold. Mix just until the dough comes together, the batter should be thick and cake-like.

Supreme Sauce:
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon oil
1 tablespoon flour
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced celery
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup flour
6 cups chicken stock
1/4 cup heavy cream
Freshly ground black pepper, for garnish
Chopped flat-leaf parsley, for garnish

To prepare Supreme Sauce: In a Dutch oven, melt butter and heat oil over medium heat. Add carrot, celery, garlic, and bay leaves. Saute until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the flour to make a roux. Continue to stir and cook for 2 minutes to coat the flour and remove the starchy taste. Slowly pour in the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time, stirring well after each addition.
Let sauce simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, about 15 minutes. Stir in heavy cream.
Fold the reserved shredded chicken into the sauce and bring up to a simmer. Using 2 spoons, carefully drop heaping tablespoonfuls of the dumpling batter into the hot mixture. The dumplings should cover the top of the sauce, but should not be touching or crowded. Let the dumplings poach for 10 to 15 minutes until they are firm and puffy. Season with freshly cracked black pepper and garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

Jenise wrote:
Jo Ann Henderson wrote:
Gary Barlettano wrote:

shooting gun.gif

Jo Ann, you beat me to it!

Honestly, it isn't bad. And so few ingredients, too! As a single parent, this kind of thing came in handy for me. :roll:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:26 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:From Tyler Florence. Not an easy recipe, but roasting the chicken beforehand gives the dish several added layers of flavor beyond most other recipes. We usually roast and make stock the day before and complete the dish the next day. Its a great, though lengthy, recipe. Worth it though.

Thx, Richard
This is the kind of recipe I was looking for. It will definitely be my next effort. The one thing I really don't like much about Chicken and Dumplings is that the chicken is always a tad bit over cooked and not flavorful enough for me (all the flavor is in the stock). The one I ended up with was very good. As it turns out, there were two recipes in my recent issue of Cuisine that I found at just the last minute. I married together a few different recipes. But the Cuisine recipe had the perfect herb combination (fresh rosemary, sage and thyme) with a hit of lemon juice and sufficient white wine. I took a page from a Silver Palate Dijon Chicken recipe and added a bit of gourmet mustard (nice touch). I always change any dumpling recipe, as most of them have the texture of gnocci. I always add about 1/4 to 1/3 C butter to about 3 C flour to lighten them up a bit. They are just tender to the bite (but no mistaking it's a dumpling), but there is enough body to hold up to the sauce for a meal and a reheat with no problem. But, this one I will definitely try within the next month.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:37 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:OK, so shoot me!

(1) Box Bisquik

Heat your electric fryer to about 325º F.
Brown the chicken pieces well on all sides and remove.
Mix the Liption Onion Soup mix (noodles and all) in the fryer and deglaze.
Mix the dumpling batter according to the instructions on the side of the box of Bisquik. (You can add a few herbs if you want to be creative.)
Put the chicken back in the fryer.
Spoon the dumpling batter onto the top of the chicken.
Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes.

If you insist, you can actually duplicate this using fresh ingredients. I do sometimes using my large Calphalon Dutch oven and I finish it in the oven. Still in all, my mother used to make chicken and dumplings this way and there's something comforting about this preparation ... even if it's too simple for even Rachel Ray to consider using. Yumm-o.

Bisquick has always been good in a pinch! LOL
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε