Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

cleaning Le Creuset ?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

cleaning Le Creuset ?

by Celia » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:37 pm

I have a neighbour with a truly grotty Le Creuset roasting pan. Unlike the dutch ovens, the roasting pans seem to get lovely, baked on grime that never seems to scrub off, especially if you haven't been particularly diligent in cleaning as you go (and therefore the oil and grease just keeps rebaking onto the pan each time you use it). Any suggestions from this wise and knowledgeable group ? They've tried JIF. :)

Thanks, Celia
Last edited by Celia on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: cleaning Le Creuset ?

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:49 pm

I've had my Le Cruset pans and Dutch Ovens for just under three months now and they clean up like a dream. After they have cooled a bit, I put Dawn dish detergent in the pan and soak with hot water. Everything comes right off. If this is years of built up grime, I'd give Le Cruset a call and see what they suggest, or visit their website. Le Cruset makes a cleaner/polisher for their pans, but I have not had to use it yet.
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:20 pm

celia wrote:I have a neighbour with a truly grotty Le Creuset roasting pan. Unlike the dutch ovens, the roasting pans seem to get lovely, baked on grime that never seems to scrub off, especially if you haven't been particularly diligent in cleaning it as you go (and therefore the oil and grease just keeps rebaking onto the pan each time you use it). Any suggestions from this wise and knowledgeable group ? They've tried JIF. :)

Thanks, Celia

I'm not sure if it is the way to go, but when this happens to my grilling pan I fill it with water, some soap, then simmer it for ten minutes. This usually gets the gunk out.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:46 am

Thank you both, but this pan is well and truly past that stage. I was thinking more in terms of oven cleaner or bleach, to be honest...

It still works, it just gets grottier and grottier...

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:54 am

Oxalic acid.

There's a mild abrasive powder with oxalic acid added to it called "Bar Keepers Friend," widely available in the US. There might be an antipodal equivalent. The stuff works miraculously on baked-on grease, even the stuff that's halfway toward becoming diamond. If not, see if you can get some oxalic acid, mix it with some water, do an overnight soak, then scrub with a brush.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Better Living Through Chemistry

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:05 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Oxalic acid.

You're a handy guy to have around!
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

That's what all the girls say. :D
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:02 pm

If the pan is enameled (and probably is) then you could try some stuff called Gunk. It's an engine cleaner. Just be sure to rinse the pan really, really well after cleaning. That should do it.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:09 pm

Cool ! I'll pass the suggestions on, thank you ! It really does call for those sorts of measure... :D

Cheers, Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Greg H

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:50 pm

by Greg H » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:40 pm

Never tried this but could you put it in an oven and run it through the oven cleaning cycle?
no avatar
User

JoePerry

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:07 pm

Boston

by JoePerry » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:28 am

What about loads of baking soda and just enough water, over night?

I have no problem loading my body with Jungle Juice (100% Deet) or getting covered in Naval Jelly Rust Remover, but I would try everything else before going all out with what might pit my pans.

Best,
Joe
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:44 am

JoePerry wrote:I have no problem loading my body with Jungle Juice (100% Deet) or getting covered in Navel Jelly Rust Remover, but I would try everything else before going all out with what might pit my pans.

Joe, there are times, even after all these years of reading your posts and chatting to you, when you still scare me. :) Do I want to ask what Navel Jelly Rust Remover is ? Frankly, it's pretty gross when the jelly in your navel has been there so long that it rusts...ugh...

:D

They've tried the baking soda soak, matey, thank you though. I think they're considering Stuart's oxalic acid. Or maybe buying a new pan...

Celia

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial