Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vegetarian comfort food

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Vegetarian comfort food

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:10 am

So on Sunday night, we ended up having a family of five as well as one other kid and our across-the-street neighbor over for supper. This was partly because the family and the neighbor had been without power since the storm last Friday and therefore hadn't been able to do a lot of cooking. I figured that since they'd all been through a somewhat difficult situation, they'd want something basic and hefty and comforting. I made a baked ziti dish with three kinds of pork in it - pancetta, Italian sausage, and pork shoulder that's braised 'till it flakes apart. It's topped with mozzarella and parmigiano. A little over-the-top if you ask me, but this is the kind of dish that warms the soul for my wife.

After supper, we found out that the woman in the family eats very little meat. :oops: That got me thinking. When it's cold and nasty outside, I think of stuff like meatloaf, braised short ribs, pot roast, etc. All meaty dishes. If you're cooking vegetarian, what do you look for on such days? Maybe a cheesy pasta or a hefty risotto? Or something else? (Not that my wife would ever let me get away with it, but I think the info may be handy in the future.)
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Vegetarian comfort food

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:34 am

Well, there's all manner of soups which can be made sans meat. That's my go to dish when the weather turns cold or nasty.
Actually, I'm trying to make it through January on a completely meatless diet. So far, so good.

If I were to go in the direction of pasta to warm the house and comfort the soul, I would consider a meatless version of my lasagna. I wouldn't have to tweak it that much, just change the sauce and delete the chopped meat/sausage layer.
Also, I have a 5 bean, vegetarian chili on tap to make later this month - I suspect that would fit the bill as well.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:38 am

For me, mac'n'cheese (not the blue box!), onion soup, pizza... anything which will get the oven to heat up the house. JT's post makes me think of a nice kale-based minestrone (green vegetables are rare this time of year), but my comfort has mostly been cheese-derived and oven-based.

In a totally different direction, sambar heats me internally.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:01 am

L'esprit d'escalier: polenta. Especially with a wild mushroom ragout.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:24 pm

Masoor daal.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jan 10, 2008 12:03 am

Thanks, guys. Next time we have these folks over, I'll know what to do.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child