Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

I just love summer

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

I just love summer

by John Tomasso » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 am

And last night, we had a taste of summer, smack in the middle of January, with a big, creamy bowl of risotto al pesto.

I'd frozen several ziplocks of pesto, without the butter and cheese, back in late August and September, when the garden was full. It's paying off now, as the frozen stuff tasted every bit as good as it did when it was freshly made.

So for dinner, I made a simple risotto - just diced onion, butter and olive oil, and arborio rice. I used a fresh vegetable stock I made on Monday and finished the dish with a pile of grated Reggiano, a knob of butter, and a couple of tablespoons of the aforementioned pesto. I swirled in enough to just color and flavor the dish without overpowering it. I paired it with the 05 ESJ Shell and Bones, which made a very nice match. Both the Bone Jolly rose and this wine seem to pair well with pesto. Perhaps Steve is a fan? The risotto, some bread, and a green salad was very satisfying. Dessert was an orange, and a small square of dark chocolate.

Anyway, this meatless thing has been an interesting experiment, but I'm beginning to feel a bit like Starch Man. I've been eating a lot of rice.
Sticks to the ribs, y'know?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: I just love summer

by Jo Ann Henderson » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:16 am

You've just given me my dinner idea for tonight, John. I'm picking up some aborio rice on my way home today. Pesto risoto it is!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: I just love summer

by Christina Georgina » Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:00 pm

Indeed. I do the same with pesto. Last summer with a bumper crop of tomatoes I made lots of quick Marinara and froze it in serving sized containers. That's another bit of summer that is very refreshing at this time of year.
Mamma Mia !