Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Easiest Scones in the World !

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

The Easiest Scones in the World !

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:44 pm

This recipe from my friend Joyce !

3 cups self-raising flour (or 3 cups all purpose flour, plus 6 tsp baking powder)
1 cup lemonade (Sprite, 7up etc)
1 cup cream (35% fat)

scones1.jpg

scones2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celia on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

Re: The Easiest Scones in the World !

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:46 pm

scones3.jpg

scones4.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celia on Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:48 pm, edited 4 times in total.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:49 pm

Bake in 180degC (360 deg F) oven for 20 - 25mins until brown.

Edit : after some feedback and experimenting, the scones seem to bake better at a higher temp for less time - I got an improved result using 200 deg C (fanforced) and 15-20mins.

scones5.jpg

Makes the lightest, fluffiest scones, which are surprisingly not overly sweet. I've made them with savoury fillings (ham and cheese, smoked salmon and dill), and they've been delicious.

Cheers, Celia
Last edited by Celia on Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:57 pm

YUMM!! Looks like a good base for a heaping spoonful of good honey, or berry jam. 8)
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:59 pm

Breakfast tomorrow. With some apricot confit from Belgium and a mug of Earl Grey.

Celia, you're a goddess!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:03 pm

Great essay, Celia. Many thanks.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Thanks Bob ! I wanted to try out uploading multiple images - the new system only lets you put two images per message, which is probably very sensible.

The scones are fun - and so easy - and as I was making them this morning, I was thinking.."Oooh, I bet Stuart would like these.." :D

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:33 pm

celia wrote:Thanks Bob ! I wanted to try out uploading multiple images - the new system only lets you put two images per message, which is probably very sensible.

The scones are fun - and so easy - and as I was making them this morning, I was thinking.."Oooh, I bet Stuart would like these.." :D

I've got Fresca and 2% milk, reckon that would work? LOL
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:46 pm

Robert, I had to google Fresca ! :D I think it's the same as what we call Fanta..

Doubt the 2% milk will help you, but for what it's worth, I have made this with soda water and tinned reduced fat cream. And UHT thickened cream too, from memory. It's reasonably flexible..

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:54 pm

celia wrote:Robert, I had to google Fresca ! :D I think it's the same as what we call Fanta..

Doubt the 2% milk will help you, but for what it's worth, I have made this with soda water and tinned reduced fat cream. And UHT thickened cream too, from memory. It's reasonably flexible..

Fresca is a grapefruit drink, one that I have loved since my childhood.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:53 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Celia, you're a goddess!

Stuart, are you just discovering this? If so, I am surprised at your lack of alertness. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:23 pm

Bob, you're too sweet... :oops:

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:16 am

celia wrote:This recipe from my friend Joyce !

3 cups self-raising flour
1 cup lemonade (sprite, 7up etc)
1 cup pouring cream

Very interesting. I guess the fat in the cream takes the place of the butter you'd rub in the flour in the traditional recipe, but I don't know what purpose the lemonade plays.

I make sultana scones most weekends (see below), so I must give Joyce's recipe a try.

no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:28 am

The lemonade probably triggers the bicarbonate in the self-rising flour.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:38 am

And, of course, provides sweetening and moisture. I would imagine it helps with browning as well, due to the sugar content.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:34 am

Makes perfect sense.

I'm whipping some up in about an hour or so, just in case you're in the neighborhood. :wink:
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 am

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:And, of course, provides sweetening and moisture. I would imagine it helps with browning as well, due to the sugar content.

I don't add sugar or sweetening when making scones so the thought of the equivalent of six spoonsfulls per can doesn't appeal, and I don't bother glazing my scones anymore. Liquid I understand.

Self raising flour works fine, doesn't need triggering.

Oh well, I'll just have to try Joyces recipe and the same again with water instead of lemonade.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:54 am

Not saying sugar is necessary for browning, only that it is one of the things it adds when present. Sugar brings many different functions to baked goods, besides sweetening. That's one of the reasons it's difficult to develop really good sugar free baking recipes for home use.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:30 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote: That's one of the reasons it's difficult to develop really good sugar free baking recipes for home use.

Sweetening in my scones come from the sultanas and the dollops of jam I put on them :) Currently alternating some wonderful homemade greengage jams and a stunning blackberry jam. It's the first time we've made wild blackberry jam and the colour and taste is incredible. Can't wait till next years blackberry season.

I have just returned from the shops with a carton of cream and a bottle of fizzy lemonade especially to make the scone recipe. I will report back. :)
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:56 pm

Why Stuart Should Not Be Allowed to Bake, Part XXXVII:

First, there was no grocery in my town that actually had pure cream, only the whipping stuff with carrageenan. So, I bit the bullet and subbed it.

Second, I'm far too stupid to know what the moisture ought to be for a dough like this. Using these proportions with my ingredients gave me something insanely wet and sticky. A baker who wasn't stupid would think, "Aha, this appears more like oatmeal mixed with superglue, perhaps a bit of flour will calm things down."

I, however, am stupid.

Turned it out on a floured parchment paper and tried to pat it out. After discovering how the animal fossils found in the La Brea Tar Pits actually died, I only lost about a quarter of the dough when trying to get it off my fingers.

OK, with a modicum of flour on my fingers and sprinkled on the top, we can get the mess patted out. Fine. This baking stuff isn't so hard...

I floured the end of a cup to use as a cutter. The cuts were miraculous. Truly. I haven't seen wounds heal themselves any faster this side of Kathryn Kuhlman. And after the first cut, the dough stuck impressively to the cutter, partially lifting off and partially remaining behind both the cutter AND the parchment paper.

This actually stuck to the parchment paper.

I tried easing a lump off, which it more or less did by leaving half its mass stuck to the paper, half its mass stuck to my fingers. Trying to remove it from my fingers was Emmet Kelly and the tape redux, but not nearly as graceful. And the entire mass of dough had now stuck itself to the nonstick parchment paper.

Edwin Land once observed, "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity." So, my insight was, time to get this back into the bowl and add some more flour. So, with much use of the Seven Words You Can't Say on Television, I managed to get 60-70% of the remaining dough back into the mixing bowl, leaving a good portion permanently affixed to the Guaranteed Not to Stick! silicone spatula and the remainder molecularly adhered to the parchment paper.

Ripped a fresh piece of parchment, laid it out, and floured it. Folded another quarter cup of self-rising flour into The Incredible Shrinking Scone Dough. Patted it out, and it behaved much better.

Yield: 3 scones.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:07 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:Why Stuart Should Not Be Allowed to Bake, Part XXXVII

Too bad I wasn't in the neighborhood, I would have loved to start the day with a good laugh at your expense. Er.... I mean.... I would have been able to help. Yeah, that's the ticket.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:29 pm

If these were The Easiest Scones in the World, I dread my attempts at the hardest ones.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:54 pm

Oh, I'm sooo sorry, Stuart ! All my other attempts at scones have ended up with lumps of rock, whereas these always worked - that's why I posted them. Do you think it's possible that our SR flours are different or something ? The mix is sticky, but definitely a dough - not gloopy glue...

Can I persuade you to try again, with normal cream ? When the mix gets to a dough like consistency, tip it out on a floured bench (try without parchment - I was just trying to save cleaning up), and sprinkle the top with flour, then try cutting. I hate seeing a recipe beat you.. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:08 pm

Oh, no, not your fault at all. I'm just inept. If I had turned this out onto a floured counter, I'd have to take a wrecking ball to my kitchen. :oops:

I think flours do vary, especially in moisture. I know that when I make pizza or pasta, I usually adjust things each time to get the right consistency. In this case, being inexperienced and (honestly) not very adept at baking, I didn't make an obvious correction in the beginning, and once the first step is taken in the wrong direction, well...
Next