Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Baking Soda and Sour Milk

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Baking Soda and Sour Milk

by Howie Hart » Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Admittedly, I don't bake often, but Celia's Scone recipe had me thinking about what I usually do when making similar recipes. I add 1 Tbspn of either vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk, stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes to sour and curdle. The other thing I do is add 1/2 tspn of baking soda to an appropriate amount of melted, but not hot, butter and stir it up. This technique, I believe, coats the baking soda (alkaline - carbonate) with the fat and keeps it from reacting too quickly with the acids in the sour milk when mixing up the batter/dough. I then add the butter/soda with the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly before adding the sour milk. Then, as the cooking takes place, the butter fat melts and they react, releasing the CO2 to make what you're cooking rise. I've done this quite successfully with biscuits and pancakes. Does anyone else do this or something similar?
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Baking Soda and Sour Milk

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:32 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Admittedly, I don't bake often, but Celia's Scone recipe had me thinking about what I usually do when making similar recipes. I add 1 Tbspn of either vinegar or lemon juice to 1 cup of milk, stir and let it sit for a couple of minutes to sour and curdle. The other thing I do is add 1/2 tspn of baking soda to an appropriate amount of melted, but not hot, butter and stir it up. This technique, I believe, coats the baking soda (alkaline - carbonate) with the fat and keeps it from reacting too quickly with the acids in the sour milk when mixing up the batter/dough. I then add the butter/soda with the dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly before adding the sour milk. Then, as the cooking takes place, the butter fat melts and they react, releasing the CO2 to make what you're cooking rise. I've done this quite successfully with biscuits and pancakes. Does anyone else do this or something similar?

Wow, Howie. Who Knew?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:53 pm

That's very clever!
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Sun Jan 13, 2008 7:10 pm

Howie, have you ever thought of using buttermilk in place of the sour milk ? The reason I ask is because when you run out of buttermilk, the suggested substitute is milk and a Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice...

The bicarb and fat trick is neat - new to me - will try it ! Thanks.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:15 am

celia wrote:Howie, have you ever thought of using buttermilk in place of the sour milk ? The reason I ask is because when you run out of buttermilk, the suggested substitute is milk and a Tbsp of vinegar or lemon juice...

The bicarb and fat trick is neat - new to me - will try it ! Thanks.
Usually, when I make things like this, it's at the spur of the moment, and buttermilk would require a special trip to the store. However, I do use buttermilk in pancakes if I'm planning ahead.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:42 am

buttermilk would require a special trip to the store.
Howie, Saco dehydrated buttermilk comes in handy in a pinch. I keep a box of packets around for those last minute pancake decisions.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:02 pm

Howie,

I do the lemon juice and milk a lot in lieu of buttermilk. I also add lemon juice to boiling milk to make lemon ricotta if I run out. However, never heard of the butter and baking soda...sounds interesting. I will certainly try it. Thanks for the tip.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin