Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Lentils with Porcini and Roasted Toms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

RCP: Lentils with Porcini and Roasted Toms

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:02 pm

I made this lentil soup/stew for New Year's day this year.

1 cup French Green Lentils, cleaned and rinsed
1 large Carrot, diced
1 Celery Rib, diced
1 small Onion, diced
EVOO
2 or more Garlic cloves, minced
1 oz. dried Porcini Mushrooms, rehydrated and liquid reserved
Water
1 28oz. can Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes (Muir Glen)
Fresh Thyme Stems, about 8, tied together with twine
Zest of 1 Meyer Lemon
S&P

Make sure that the lentils are free of small stones and then rinse them thoroughly. Set aside.

Put the porcini mushrooms in a bowl and cover them with 4 cups of boiling water. Let them rehydrate for at least 45 minutes. The longer they rehydrate, the more powerful and flavorful their liquid will be so don't rush this process.

In a stock pot or dutch oven heat the EVOO over medium high to high heat. Add the carrot, celery, and onion. Gently sautee until the onion is translucent. Add the garlic and sautee for about a minute, until the garlic is fragrant. Now add the lentils, reserved porcini liquid, thyme garni, and enough water so that the lentils are covered. Cook the lentils until they have absorbed most or all of the liquid and are tender, about 45 minutes. You may need to add more water during the cooking process to get the lentils tender. Just don't make it too soupy yet.

While the lentils are cooking, roughly chop the porcini mushrooms.

When the lentils are tender add the tomatoes, porcini mushrooms, lemon zest, and season with salt and pepper. Continue to cook until the flavors are blended. The stew should be quite thick. Now add enough water to make it the consistency you like and correct the seasoning. Remove the thyme garni. If you wish, you can blend some of the soup to make the texture slightly "creamy".

If you want, you can reduce the liquid in the stew until it becomes very thick. It can then be used as a side dish.

This keeps for days and days and just gets better. It should serve 6 easily.

rwj
Last edited by Robert J. on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

Re: RCP: Lentils with Porcini and Roasted Toms

by Howard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:28 am

4 ounces dried shrooms? Seems like a lot. 1/4 ounce maybe?

Don't mean to nitpick. I'm going to make this later this week with the french green lentils I just bought today. Thanks for posting.
Howard
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:14 am

Whoops! Thanks for that. I think that the package was 1 oz. making the total 2 oz. I'll have to check. But I'm sure that it was more than 1/4 oz. Again, I'll check at work today and fix it tomorrow.

rwj
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:27 am

The recipe is edited. I used 1 oz. of dried porcini (they come in 1/2 oz. bags). I also forgot to write in the Meyer Lemon zest. I just happened to have a Meyer in the fridge so I threw the zest in the stew and the juice in my glass of water.

rwj