Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Hooked on pomegranite juice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Hooked on pomegranite juice

by John Tomasso » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:28 am

I'm not one to fall for the latest health fads or quick fixes. Mostly I just ignore the latest "this will cure x" stories in the daily papers.
However, I read about an Israeli study in which the systolic component of blood pressure was reduced by an impressive amount, with the subjects ingesting just 2 oz of pomegranite juice per day for one year.

As I said, I seldom pay attention to this stuff, but one of my accounts is a health food type place, and I happened to mention the study to my customer. She gave me a 46 oz bottle of fresh pressed, organic pomegranite juice and told me to try it. (the first taste is always free - drug pusher's credo)
Anyway, the stuff is delicious. Tastes something like grape juice, with great acidity, and veering somewhat into plummy/pruney flavors.
I'm hooked.
Now, the kicker. A bottle of this stuff sells for $10. If I go through a bottle a week, I just upped my annual grocery expenditures by $520.

Nice.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Hooked on pomegranite juice

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:58 pm

Yup, this is sorta like my run-in with the açai berry juice. Folks are selling these juices now primarily pitching their ORAC (oxygen radical absorbance capacity), i.e. how well they corral the free radicals floating around your body. (As one who is both radical and free, I am growing worried.) More often than not, they market these juices and often even label them as food supplements and suggest you drink only one or two ounces a day which keeps the pain of the high cost down. $10.00 is cheap!! I've seen this stuff and similar go for about $45.00 a bottle. In any event, I really love pomegranate juice. My girlfriend had two bottles of this wonderfully tart elixir and we certainly did not limit ourselves to the one ounce dose. (I guess if we had paid for the bottles ourselves, we might have!!) If you like the sweet-sour thing (and want to afford it), try it in a reduction over some sautéed chicken. Pretty yummy.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:37 pm

Another vote for pomegranate juice over chicken.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Hooked on pomegranate juice

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:44 pm

Has anyone tried Xango - juice from the mangosteen fruit? I had a black fungus on a big toe since I was in my twenties. Every dermatologist told me I needed to take an oral medicine to rid myself of this. Upon the suggestion of a friend, I bought some Xango from her.....within a few weeks the black had faded to yellow and gradually disappeared. I have continued to take it. For 38.00 it lasts me one month.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:15 pm

I had not heard of it until your post, Karen. I'm glad it worked for you but here's a more skeptical evaluation of the world's literature on it:

http://chetday.com/mangosteen.htm
Howard
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:51 am

We made wine out of pomegranite juice a few years back. It's amazing how acidic that stuff is once you ferment the sugar out of it. Take the enamel off your teeth....
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child