Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Question About Cakey Pancakes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Question About Cakey Pancakes

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:53 pm

When it comes to baking, I pretty much do exactly as Betty Crocker tells me. Well, tonight I got out my trusty box of Bisquick (which really wouldn't be so bad if it didn't have the hydrogenated oil in it) and made my son and me some pancakes. I followed the "advanced" recipe and added some additional sugar, vanilla, baking powder and lemon juice. The only thing I always adlib is that I separate the whites and yolks of the eggs, beat the whites to a firm peak, and then fold them into the batter. Other than that, I just salute. Tonight was curious because I wanted to make a batch and a half. I increased everything by 50%, but still came out with the 14 pancakes the normal recipe said it should make. The last time I made the usual recipe and came out with 21 pancakes. Go figure. But this has nothing to do with my question.

I prefer thicker, more cake-like pancakes. How do I get there? I want to keep those skinny, crispy, wannabe crêpes out of my pool of Mrs. Butterworths's. Tonight, they came out pretty good, but they still don't scream diner at me. I have a nice Calphalon non-stick griddle so I have a nice, large, even surface to bake on. I'm even willing to forgo the Bisquick for the right alimentary pleasure.

(By the way, Stuart, tonight I topped the pancakes with TJ's organic Grade A maple syrup. My kids gave it to me for my birthday along with the griddle.)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Question About Cakey Pancakes

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:12 pm

Grade B syrup is much, much better, Gary. I miss the days of my family being in the maple syrup business. Unlimited supplies of free, excellent product.

For cakier pancakes when using a mix, use less liquid. Also, beating the whites will make the pancakes less dense (although higher), so you may want to stop that.
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:18 pm

I didn't even know they had a Grade A. How did it taste?

Their Grade B is quite excellent.
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:26 pm

Make sure the baking powder (bisquick mix) is fresh.
Howard
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:38 pm

[quote="Gary Barlettano"]I prefer thicker, more cake-like pancakes. How do I get there?

Cut back on the liquid by a bit. Thicker batter = thicker pancakes. I actually don't bother to measure the milk, I just stir some in and add a bit more until it's the right thickness. I've been making my own pancakes for more than half a century, so "right" is easy. I do beat the egg white.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Cynthia Wenslow wrote:Grade B syrup is much, much better, Gary. I miss the days of my family being in the maple syrup business. Unlimited supplies of free, excellent product....
When my boys were in Scouts every Spring we'd go here. The boys would get unlimited pancakes w/syrup and sausage for a few dollars, along with a good tour.

WRT thicker pancakes, I've noticed that the longer the batter sits the thicker it gets. And it seems to carry on to the cooking, where the last ones are thicker than the first ones.

I remember when we first moved into this house and the boys were young, the floor was not level causing the stove to lean a bit. I couldn't make a round pancake, but when I told the boys they were "Football Pancakes", that's the ones they wanted. :lol:
Last edited by Howie Hart on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:I didn't even know they had a Grade A. How did it taste?
Their Grade B is quite excellent.

Did you edit this when I wasn't looking? Must be the Elavil.

This was a dark amber Grade A which had a very delicate maple flavor, not oversweet either. It wasn't as viscous as the artificial stuff either. There was also a certain enjoyable smokiness in the flavor as well. It definitely did not have that cloying sweetness of maple sugar candy. For someone like me who was raised on Log Cabin, this took a bit of getting used to, but by the end of the bottle I came to appreciate its subtlety. I imagine you get more maple and caramel out of the Grade B, but this stuff did not overwhelm the pancake (or cause my teeth to ache).

Cynthia and John, thanks for the tips.

Howie, if you were my Dad, I don't think I'd fit through the barn door sideways! :P
Last edited by Gary Barlettano on Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:45 pm

Howard wrote:Make sure the baking powder (bisquick mix) is fresh.

I cull my the contents of my pantry on a regular basis. And even the Costco-size box of Bisquick doesn't last long around here. :lol:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:59 pm

I've used the same recipe for pancakes for years:

1cup flour
1cup milk
1 egg
1 tbl sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

This one makes enough for a couple of kids

I upsize depending on how many are staying for breakfast. Add chocolate chips or blueberries or strawberries or more sugar or 1/2 tsp vanilla or more milk depending on my mood.
Howard
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:03 am

Howard's got it right. Make your batter the night before, and let it sit in the fridge.
That's what the restaurants do.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:04 am

John Tomasso wrote:Howard's got it right. Make your batter the night before, and let it sit in the fridge. That's what the restaurants do.

I'll have to try that. In general, however, pancakes are a spur-of-the-moment, this-lonely-bachelor-needs-some-comfort-food thing so overnight is not available. Still, as with my other mood-enhancing antidepressants, TJ's corn bread and Bisquick muffins, I try not overmix the batter. In fact, I just fold it about 10 times and then leave it as is for about 20 minutes to allow the dry ingredients to absorb the wet ones. But I will try the refrigerator thing.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:01 pm

Use buttermilk, let the batter sit for a while on the counter (or overnight like others suggested) and DON'T OVER-MIX THE BATTER. It's o.k. if you still see some lumps of flour. You just want the flour to get moist.

rwj
no avatar
User

Bernard Roth

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Santa Barbara, CA

by Bernard Roth » Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:58 am

I always make my own pancake mix. I do not use a recipe, just instinct, the way your grandmother should have taught you. I always use mixed grain flours, such as whole wheat, white whole wheat, buckwheat, spelt. I also use some brown rice flour. The mix is standard, with salt, baking powder and soda. I make extra and freeze in a ziplock bag. It is so superior to store bought mixes based on white flour that there is no going back.
Regards,
Bernard Roth