Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Beer & Cheddar Fondue

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Drouillard

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:05 pm

Richardson TX

RCP: Beer & Cheddar Fondue

by Jim Drouillard » Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:16 pm

I came across this recipe when a co-worker gave me back my copy of Dec '06 Fine Cooking. It thought you folks might appreciate it. It is typed the way it appeared:

Beer & Cheddar Fondue

Yields about 5 cups; serves six to eight

Amontillado, a medium-dry sherry, provides a nice contrast to the bitter beer and sharp cheddar

1 Tbs. unsalted butter
½ small yellow onion, minced (about 1/3 cup)
1 large clove garlic, minced
12 oz. Emmentaler cheese, coarsely grated (about 3 lightly packed cups)
8 oz. extra-sharp white Cheddar, coarsely grated (about 2 lightly packed cups)
4 oz. Gruyere, coarsely grated (about 1 lightly packed cups)
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 tsp. dry mustard (such as Coleman’s)
½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp. caraway seeds, coarsely ground in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle
12 oz. lager-style beer, preferably Budweiser
3 Tbs. Amontillado sherry
Kosher salt
Dipping ingredients

Melt the butter in a 1 ½-2-qt flame fondue pot over medium-low heat. (If you don’t have a fondue pot that’s flameproof, use a heavy, narrow saucepan.) Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until completely soft and beginning to caramelize, 15 to 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the Emmentaler, Cheddar, and Gruyere with the cornstarch, mustard and pepper.

Add the caraway seeds to the pot and stir to toast them slightly, about 2 minutes. Add the beer, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer to mellow the flavor of the beer, about 3 minutes.

Sprinkle the cheese mixture into the pot a large handful at a time, stirring each batch in a back and forth pattern so that the cheese doesn’t ball up as it melts. Continue adding and stirring until all of the cheese is melted, smooth, and thick, adjusting the heat as necessary to maintain barely a simmer. Stir in the sherry and season to taste with salt. (If using a saucepan, transfer the fondue to a fondue pot.) Set the fondue pot over a low flame at the table to keep it warm. Serve with the dipping ingredients.

Looking it over I wonder how it would be using a stoat or smoked gruyere?

Jim
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Beer & Cheddar Fondue

by Cynthia Wenslow » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:03 pm

Jim Drouillard wrote: preferably Budweiser

I see why the disclaimer about posting it exactly as it appeared! :D

I love love love fondue. We mainly make the classic, but this looks delicious too. Thanks for posting it, Jim.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:22 pm

Dip some brats into it and you have the absolute ultimate in Wisconsin cuisine! :wink:

Seriously, it sounds great. We don't make fondue very often but this one sounds worth a try.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks, Jim, that looks wicked ! We usually use white wine, but the beer could make for a great change. And I adore caraway seeds...
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial