Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Concord grapes needed

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

DLuckenbau

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Concord grapes needed

by DLuckenbau » Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Does anyone know a website or somewhere I could buy 1-2 quarts of Concord grapes for a grape pie recipe? I live in NJ and they are out of season right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Concord grapes needed

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:45 pm

DLuckenbau wrote:Does anyone know a website or somewhere I could buy 1-2 quarts of Concord grapes for a grape pie recipe? I live in NJ and they are out of season right now. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to the forum!

I don't know for sure, but I suspect you're going to have a tough time with this unless you're willing to use frozen fruit. Concord grapes are very much regional to the Northeastern US and Canada, and they're only in season in the fall.

I wonder if you could substitute other red table grapes, whatever's available at local grocers. Maybe taste-test a few in hope of finding a variety that offers that distinctive Concord "country style" flavor?
no avatar
User

DLuckenbau

Rank

Just got here

Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:37 pm

Re: Concord grapes needed

by DLuckenbau » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:31 pm

Thank you, Robin, for your response. The recipe is for a grape pie, which unfortunately calls for the concord variety. It yields a pie similar in flavor to Welch's grape jelly, but better. :) I was giving this site as possibly having them in March/April from Chile.

http://www.theproducehunter.com/product ... sp?ID=2206