Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Chocolate Sheet Cake

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Chocolate Sheet Cake

by Celia » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I've been reading (and greatly enjoying) a foodie book called Consuming Passions by Michael Lee West. Some very funny stories in there, most drawn from her Southern USA upbringing. In one section she talks about "Chocolate Sheet Cake", and the concept fascinated me - I loved the idea of being able to bake a slab of chocolate cake, and then ice it then and there, before it cooled completely, right in the pan. Apart from being terribly efficient (no more icing dripping all over the bench, nor waiting for ages for the cake to be cool enough), I've found that you get a very moist cake as a bonus.

After some experimenting with recipes, the family favourite has become a Mrs Fields' recipe for devil's food cake, baked in a roasting tray, and then topped off with my ever reliable chocolate icing recipe (dark chocolate, icing sugar, butter and milk). But I think this idea would work with any good chocolate cake recipe ! And it's quick - made this one this morning - out of the oven by 8.30am, iced by 9am, cut into by 10.30 ! Does anyone else bake sheet cakes ?

chocslab.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Chocolate Sheet Cake

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:35 pm

I could eat that, Celia. Yum!

When I was growing up both my parents were professors and there wasn't a lot of time for fancy dessert creation. This kind of prep was the norm in our house. In fact, I bet I can count on one hand the number of times that we had a layer cake.
no avatar
User

Robert Reynolds

Rank

1000th member!

Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Sapulpa, OK

by Robert Reynolds » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:37 pm

I actually make a chocolate sheet cake occasionally for family gatherings, although not so frequently these days. It is a fantastic way to do a dessert for a crowd, and as you found out, the cake is usually very moist.
ΜΟΛ'ΩΝ ΛΑΒ'Ε
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:52 pm

I grew up on them. Because I was a preacher's kid (explains a lot, huh?) these things turned up at every church function. Sheet cakes are woven into the fabric of my soul. My Mom makes a kick-ass coconut sheet cake, too.

rwj
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 am

I adore Lee West's description of them :

In my family, whenever a chocolate sheet cake appeared, it was usually to soothe a broken heart, or to soften the impact of an impulsive thrift-shop purchase. It was not a cake of holidays, but a cake that cajoled and flirted, a cake that said, "Forget about your problems, sweetie. Come sit by me for a while."

:lol:
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:17 am

That pretty much says it, Celia.

rwj