Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Kitchen Myths

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Kitchen Myths

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:04 pm

This was a fun read....I especially liked the one about "real" chili and beans.
http://www.pgacon.com/KitchenMyths.htm
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

Re: Kitchen Myths

by Stuart Yaniger » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:14 pm

So did I! Priceless.

Thanks for the link.

Of course, the correct answer about the scrambled eggs is, "don't use milk or water, just eggs, but cook them properly." See my post number 2. :twisted:
"A clown is funny in the circus ring, but what would be the normal reaction to opening a door at midnight and finding the same clown standing there in the moonlight?" — Lon Chaney, Sr.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Very interesting.

Just waiting for the 'no beans' brigade. :)
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:04 am

I have to say that, having cooked with both, I think gas stoves win hands down over electric stoves. But I do think it's a matter of personal preference. My preference is for gas. But I do a lot of wok cooking (which the article admits is an area where gas heat is superior).

I haven't noticed cornstarch imparting any particular flavor to dishes. Seems very neutral to me. Masa harina or corn FLOUR (vs. STARCH), on the other hand, does indeed give a corn-flavor to the dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:15 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:I haven't noticed cornstarch imparting any particular flavor to dishes. Seems very neutral to me. Masa harina or corn FLOUR (vs. STARCH), on the other hand, does indeed give a corn-flavor to the dish.

-Paul W.

Ditto, Paul, it's devoid of flavor. It's also clear, not opaque like wheat flour as listed which suggests that the person who put this list together made an error in transferring information.

But it's a fun read nonetheless. And I didn't know that baking soda had been debunked as a smell absorber.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:08 am

Paul Winalski wrote:I have to say that, having cooked with both, I think gas stoves win hands down over electric stoves. But I do think it's a matter of personal preference. My preference is for gas. But I do a lot of wok cooking (which the article admits is an area where gas heat is superior).
-Paul W.

I'm with you on this, Paul. I like the fact that with gas, you get a good visual indicator of the amount of heat going into your pan. Perhaps I've never used a decent electric stove, but I've not been able to get as good a feel for how hot a pan's getting on one of them.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:31 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:I have to say that, having cooked with both, I think gas stoves win hands down over electric stoves. But I do think it's a matter of personal preference. My preference is for gas. But I do a lot of wok cooking (which the article admits is an area where gas heat is superior).
-Paul W.

I'm with you on this, Paul. I like the fact that with gas, you get a good visual indicator of the amount of heat going into your pan. Perhaps I've never used a decent electric stove, but I've not been able to get as good a feel for how hot a pan's getting on one of them.

The So Cal Gas Company had a TV commercial ages ago that pretty well summed up one of gas's greatest advantages for me: Gas--it stops cooking when you do.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

wnissen

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:16 pm

Livermore, CA

by wnissen » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:23 pm

One of the reasons I think gas is always hailed as the sine qua non of cooking is that, for professional use, it is. There just isn't room or time to switch pans on and off an electric stove on the line, and the battered saute pans would never lie flat on an electric element. Considerations like noise and energy efficiency are quaternary, as gas is the only possible choice.

However, for a home cook, I quite like the ability to boil water faster than the microwave, simmer effortlessly (and silently) without a fancy simmer burner, and I have the room to pull a pan off the stove if I really need to stop the cooking in a hurry. I'd add space between my existing burners, or an extra oven, before I would start thinking about gas. Anyone else feel that way?

Walt
Walter Nissen
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:32 pm

Walt
I first started cooking on electric and agree with your comments. One good thing it taught you was to think ahead and use the retained heat to your advantage - but if you get it wrong you can still lift the pan off.
I now use gas but wouldn't have a problem changing back. I suspect it's harder to go from gas to electric than the reverse.
regards
Ian
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster