Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How to clean faucet aerator?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:03 pm

Santa Rosa, CA

How to clean faucet aerator?

by John Treder » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:46 pm

I got a new faucet when I remodeled the kitchen last summer, and the aerator is already getting plugged up. It's easy to take it apart, and I've done that and back-rinsed it, but it still needs help. The thing is, it's plastic. With the old metal ones, I'd boil them in vinegar, but I fear the plastic might not survive that treatment.

So, how do you all clean plastic faucet aerators?
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: How to clean faucet aerator?

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:50 pm

Maybe try soaking it in Lime Away? That would work more quickly than vinegar and wouldn't require boiling.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:05 pm

I soak them over night in vinegar, then blow through them in the reverse direction. If they are still plugged, I use a very fine needle, and push through the holes.

Just did one last week using this technique -- the Lime Away or vinegar often don't work here because we get a black particulate, quite fine, that doesn't dissolve. But, the vinegar often loosens the particles.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:46 pm

Bob, I think I would call the water company and have them come out to advise. That sounds awful.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:52 pm

I would, Bob, but we've blocked all water bitch calls from our only customer, since we are both consumer and supplier. :shock:

We do have a good filtering system in line after the well and before storage, and test the water every three months.

The black bits aren't really a problem. Especially since Janet doesn't like the taste of our well water, and we drink and use Fiji water for cooking.
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Thanks, Bob, I'll do the cold vinegar soak and see what happens.

My feeling is that the plastic ought to be able to handle boiling water, but I'd hate to be caught out.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:26 am

John - Santa Clara wrote:I got a new faucet when I remodeled the kitchen last summer, and the aerator is already getting plugged up. It's easy to take it apart, and I've done that and back-rinsed it, but it still needs help. The thing is, it's plastic. With the old metal ones, I'd boil them in vinegar, but I fear the plastic might not survive that treatment.

So, how do you all clean plastic faucet aerators?

John, what is the brand on this faucet? I would think that there would be after market parts that are made from metal. My faucets are Delta brand, and they have a metal screen. I guess plastic is cheaper to use from the viewpoint of the manufacturer.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:11 pm

It's KWC, from Sweden, Bob. It works fine, but the instructions were terse to say the least, and didn't go into cleaning methods.
John in the wine county
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:05 pm

John - Santa Clara wrote:It's KWC, from Sweden, Bob. It works fine, but the instructions were terse to say the least, and didn't go into cleaning methods.

John, here is a link to the KWC company, if that helps, and if it helps here is a link to a parts store for KWC faucets.

http://www.kwcamerica.com/
http://www.plumbingsupply.com/kwc_parts.html
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:02 pm

I was reading this thread and my thoughts turned to my downstairs bathroom faucet which has been running at a near trickle for some time now. I removed the aerator, saw some build-up, cleaned it with warm vinegar, and returned it. The wee bit of stone that was in there, however, could not have been responsible for clogging the faucet that much. Having been a lit major, I tend to read anything, I noted that "rotatable" was scribed into the housing. I gave the thing a few twists and had a gusher. Duh ...
And now what?
no avatar
User

John Treder

Rank

Zinaholic

Santa Rosa, CA

by John Treder » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:29 am

Here's all the text about maintenance. Same as what came with my faucets.

• To maintain your faucets original finish simply dry with a soft cloth daily
• Never use corrosive cleaners or scouring pads on the faucet surface
• If build up of dirt or mineral deposits must be removed due to extreme hard water conditions use a mild detergent or a mixture of vinegar and water to soften and clear away. Rinse thoroughly and immediately with water to assure no detergent remains on the surface and dry with a soft cloth.

BTW, the vinegar soak seems to have worked fine.
John in the wine county