Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

by Peter May » Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:57 pm

Interesting item on today's Food Programme on BBC Radio 4 when they visited the Lea & Perrin factory making Worcestershire Sauce.

Various ingredients for the 162 year old recipe are individually aged and marinated for up to 3 years before being blended and then made in to the sauce which is then aged for 18 months before release.

Onions and garlic are separately aged in malt vinegar for 12 - 18 months, and anchovies are aged for 3 years.

Once mature, ingredients are brought together and made into a concentrate which is then blended with additional vinegar and water to make the final sauce.

The programme can be heard online for the next week at http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/factual/foodprogramme.shtml

The factory visit starts 5 mins into the recording.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jan 20, 2008 3:53 pm

I am a huge fan of talk radio and BBC is one of my faves. Thanks for sharing this.
I'm also a huge fan of Lea & Perrins. Since I watch my calories all week, I enjoy using this on my baked spuds instead of butter. Once at the Outback Restaurant, when I asked for a plain baked potato, and "bring the Lea & Perrins" the waitress was so surprised because this was the way she ate her baked spuds and had never met anyone else who did this. A surprise to both of us!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:17 pm

I will definitely look for this programme. BBC-Food is the homepage on my computer (although, in the spring I switch to BBC - Garden)
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:10 pm

A lot of people keep their L&P in the fridge. What they don't know is that if it is kept at room temp it just keeps getting better.

rwj
no avatar
User

Sue Courtney

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:33 pm

Auckland, NZ

by Sue Courtney » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:31 am

There has also been a Food Network program, "Follow that Food' with host Gordon Elliot. One to air here recently was "Follow that Steak Sauce" which featured Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce and started in Worcestershire and had interviews with people in the factory. Elliot then followed the sauce to places all over the world.

Absolutely fascinating what goes into it. Glad I didn't know the ingredients when I was introduced to this as a kid.

There really is no substitute for it. Love it on grilled (or is that broiled?) baby lamb chops. Also recently used it as a substitute for Hoi Sin sauce in a Pork Char Siu marinade recipe, and I think the end result (to my palate) was better.

BTW, I keep it in the cupboard.

Cheers,
Sue
no avatar
User

Ines Nyby

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:49 pm

by Ines Nyby » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:39 am

My husband loves the stuff--he's a big fan of all foods that are vinegary. Me, I'm only fond of it as a piquant addition to other things, like Bloody Marys and tortilla soup.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:24 pm

Sue and Ines, I'm never without it either. Can't say I use it plain in anything, but it's an easy way of adding a complex piquance to a lot of foods, and it does so without taking over the dish even if you use a lot of it. No one would ever come along later and say, "Is there Worcestershire in this?", they just say, "it's SO good!"
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:49 am

That's because it's one of those ingredients that add umami to the flavor of the dish it's used in.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:47 am

Larry Greenly wrote:That's because it's one of those ingredients that add umami to the flavor of the dish it's used in.

Yah, but that's saying adding MSG would achieve the same effect, and it's much more complicated than that. I use a significant amount in combination with lemon juice and tarragon to marinate shrimp for a cold appetizer, for instance, enough that the marinade is actually brown in flavor. But the Worcestershire seems to marry parts of itself away to the various other constituents and it no longer tastes like Worcestershire--just rich and spicy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:13 am

Okay. I'll buy that if you're using such a large quantity of Worcestershire. Personally, I love the stuff. I could eat it with a spoon.