Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Steamed Chicken in Black Bean sauce

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:57 am

Chicago

RCP: Steamed Chicken in Black Bean sauce

by Howard » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:03 am

I never would have thought to steam chicken. Also, I know that Jenise and Burt have traded black bean rib recipes ages ago. Nonetheless, somebody mentioned the blog Steamy Kitchen the other day. It's a very cute site mostly devoted to asian cooking. The banter is light but the pictures and recipes are very good. I was cruising through her recipes and came across this: Chinese steamed spareribs with black bean sauce.

I substituted 2 1/2 lbs chicken thighs that I cut into 3 pieces each. I increased the black bean sauce, sherry and other ingredients by about 1 1/2. I didn't bother with the cornstarch. Also, I steamed the chicken in a big pot with the chicken pieces resting in a vegetable steamer rather than using my bamboo steamer.

Steamed Spareribs in Black Bean Sauce

1-1/2 lbs pork sparerib (rib tips)
2 tablespoons black bean sauce
1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine (or dry sherry)
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon grated ginger (on microplane grater)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon cooking oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 teaspoon sugar

1. Cut the spareribs crosswise into 1" - 2" sections. Combine the rest of the ingredients. Transfer spareribs and sauce into a shallow, heatproof dish that will fit inside your steamer (a pie plate works great.) Let marinate at room temperature for 30 minutes.

2. Set spareribs in steamer. Steam on med-high heat for 18-20 minutes until ribs are no longer pink. Make sure that when you are steaming that you don't run out of water in the steamer. Replenish with additional water, if needed.

This was really good! Chicken was wonderfully seasoned and incredibly tender. The fat had all drained out into the steaming liquid so this turned out to be a very healthy preparation. Very easy too. I served this with broccoli prepared according to her recipe: Gai lan with oyster sauce (yes I know that Gai Lan is not the same as broccoli. Don't care.) Very nice dinner served over brown rice. The chicken (rib tips) definitely goes into the rotation due to the combination of ease and intense flavor.
Howard
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: RCP: Steamed Chicken in Black Bean sauce

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:26 am

VERY interesting, Howard. Thanks! This one definitely goes on the list. Oddly, I would think of chicken (or fish) as a better candidate for steaming than pork ribs, although it would be tempting to try it both ways and see how the results compare.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:46 pm

Howard,

That looks like a yummy recipe. There are various black bean sauce concoctions out there. Which brand did you use? The original from-scratch method is to mash or mince whole fermented black beans, perhaps in a little rice wine.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:32 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:Howard,

There are various black bean sauce concoctions out there. Which brand did you use?
-Paul W.

I'll have to check when I get home. The only thing I remember is "black bean garlic sauce" but I don't know the brand.

I once tried to make something with an authentic black bean preparation that I got at an Asian food market but I clearly didn't do it right. The stuff was astonishingly salty and I ruined whatever it was I was making.
Howard
no avatar
User

Howard

Rank

Ultra geek

Chicago

by Howard » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:34 pm

Robin,
I think a black bean fish dish would be awesome. The texture if done right would be other-worldly.
Howard
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:32 pm

Howard wrote:
Paul Winalski wrote:I once tried to make something with an authentic black bean preparation that I got at an Asian food market but I clearly didn't do it right. The stuff was astonishingly salty and I ruined whatever it was I was making.

Not all black beans are created equal (some taste muddy), and then your recipe may not have advised you to rinse the beans first. It doesn't have to be done, but it's an option: my Chinese friend Annabelle's mother and grandmother, both raised in mainland China, argue about this--one rinses, the other doesn't--so I know there's no "right way" except to use them sparingly.

Another black bean factoid: never serve pinot noir with black bean dishes. Your wine will taste like someone put dirt in the glass.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:13 pm

Oh you have to rinse black beans. Not rinsing is like putting beans in your chili. :roll:

I'm only semi-serious, but I always rinse them, or it's too salty for my liking. But I noticed a lot of chefs don't - for example, Ming Tsai doesn't when he's making some of his black bean garlic sauce.

Nice recipe, Howard, thanks !
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial