Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Baked Beans Revisited - Oh...my...goodness...

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

Baked Beans Revisited - Oh...my...goodness...

by Celia » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:20 am

As promised in an earlier thread, I revisited baked beans today using a recipe inspired by Linda's Mum and Howie's Grandpa. Oh, they are soooo good. I thought they'd be sickly sweet, but they're not at all, rather they have a very appealing smoky sweetness to them which has had me eating them out of the pot since I pulled it out of the oven.

I say "inspired by", because it was last minute decision to make these, which meant I had to use what I had on hand. That meant cannellini beans (soaked for four hours), treacle in place of molasses, and a ham bone left over from Christmas. I used twice the quantity of beans recommended (1kg), and boiled the beans for about 45mins first until they were just tender. Then, as Linda recommended, I started gently with the treacle, stirring the pot every hour or so and tasting, and adding more as I went along. In the end I used about a cup of treacle in total (I still can't believe it, because the beans just aren't that sweet), and maybe a tsp or so of salt. At the 3 hour mark, I pulled the ham bone out, took off the meat, and added it to the beans, then put them back in the oven for another 3/4 hour. And, as Howie predicted, the beans aren't mushy !

Thanks so much for the recipe, friends.

Cheers, Celia

bakedbeans.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Celia on Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Baked Beans Revisited - Oh...my...goodness...

by Peter May » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:38 am

They look delicious. ummm..
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:14 am

My husband would kill for these!
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:05 pm

Peter, thank you, they are delicious ! We had them with roast lamb and root veges last night. A surprisingly good combination...

Jo Ann, they were dead easy to make, and so cheap - I think it cost me all of $3.50 to make a huge pot full - I think there must have been 3kg of finished beans ! (Mind you, I did have an old ham bone, I guess it would cost more if you were buying bacon). Linda/Howie's recipes were great, and Carl's looked good too, but maple syrup is quite expensive over here (treacle is cheap). Recipes are here if you want to try them !

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:33 pm

Celia, I'm glad you liked this style of baked beans. I decided to have some for dinner myself. I am trying an experiment using (y'all forgive me) canned navy beans. I've never used them in this recipe, although I have spicy baked bean recipe that uses canned pork & beans. I'll post back on whether this works well or not.
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:20 pm

Well, I made the baked beans from canned beans. They tasted all right, but the texture stayed just like canned beans and did not develop the creaminess that you get from pressure cooking dried beans and then baking them for 3-4 hours.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:24 pm

Linda, I once tried to pressure cook garbanzo beens (we call them chickpeas), and the skins all came off, and clogged up the release valve and nearly blew the cooker up. I've been too chicken to try beans in the pc ever since. :)

Pete wants me to try the baked bean recipe again with bacon bones and molasses, so I might give it another go next week.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:40 pm

celia wrote:Pete wants me to try the baked bean recipe again with bacon bones and molasses, so I might give it another go next week.
What are bacon bones? :?
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:11 pm

Darn this cultural divide...I'll go buy some and post a pic, Linda. :)

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:07 pm

celia wrote:Darn this cultural divide...I'll go buy some and post a pic, Linda. :)

That's OK, I can google it - just didn't take the time before I posted. I had to look up treacle earlier today. Just showing my ignorance, I guess.

My quick google search didn't turn up a description. A search on images found something akin to ribs. Am I close?

I rather like the diversity of this group. I've learned a lot here.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:11 pm

celia wrote:Peter, thank you, they are delicious ! We had them with roast lamb and root veges last night. A surprisingly good combination...

Jo Ann, they were dead easy to make, and so cheap - I think it cost me all of $3.50 to make a huge pot full - I think there must have been 3kg of finished beans ! (Mind you, I did have an old ham bone, I guess it would cost more if you were buying bacon). Linda/Howie's recipes were great, and Carl's looked good too, but maple syrup is quite expensive over here (treacle is cheap). Recipes are here if you want to try them !

Celia

You bet, I want them. I always have an old ham bone in the freezer. I'll let you know how it works out! Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:49 pm

Linda R. (NC) wrote:
celia wrote:Pete wants me to try the baked bean recipe again with bacon bones and molasses, so I might give it another go next week.
What are bacon bones? :?

Well, since bacon is from the belly, very near the spare ribs - I'm guessing when Celia gets around to posting her picture, it will be what we know as pork spare ribs.
Bacon bones. Hmmmmmmm
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:39 am

Can you believe I went up and down the shopping centre and no-one had bacon bones today ? Well, that's not true, one deli did, but they didn't look any good, so I didn't buy them. They had a sign on them though saying "smoked ribs" - does that help ? :)

John, you're close, but the bones are smoked, like bacon, I guess. I'll try again next time I'm out...

You guys don't have treacle ? Our sugar goo products go in this order : molasses (very dark and sticky, generally fed to cattle), then treacle (less dark and sticky, bit sweeter), then golden syrup (golden coloured and sweeter again). Golden syrup pudding is a famous Australian (and I suspect British - Peter ?) steamed pudding. Another point of interest - our sugar is all sugar cane based, we don't have beet sugar here at all. This website has a more indepth discussion.

The cultural differences are fun, really - always keeps me on my toes !

Cheers, Celia

Edit : ok, found them down the road. What do you guys call these ? We call them bacon bones.. :)

baconbones.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:04 am

well they look like they could be what we know as "spare ribs with a St Louis trim" or they could also be baby backs. It's hard to tell from the picture. But the connection with bacon leads me to spare ribs.

I'm going to have to make a trip down there one of these days to get all this stuff straight.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:57 am

These are smoked spareribs, for sure. Not quite the right contour for baby backs. And that end flap (we call them rib tips) is a dead giveaway. Yummmmmm!