Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Flavorings, Flavor Bases and Stock

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Flavorings, Flavor Bases and Stock

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:29 am

Hi, Everyone
Some of the threads I have read of late got me to thinking. I am surprised at how often I see recipes with the recommendaion to add a particular flavor base to the ingredients. Especially on the My First Trip to Penzey's thread I noticed how many of you included among your must have items different flavor bases and herb combinations. Quite frankly, I am a bit surprised. In the late 80's and early 90's as this foodie cult was in its infancy I remember reading (and adopting) the idea that flavor bases were mostly salt, MSG, food coloring and a little dehydrated stock added to pass FDA inspection -- and it was to be avoided at all cost by serious cooks. But, in the last couple years I've noticed flavor bases creeping into many recipes and cuisines that I tryly enjoy by cooks whom I well respect. :shock: When I started cooking Asian (Vietnamese and Thai especially), I noticed how often these flavor bases were called for.

Personally, I seldom cook a pot of rice, polenta or grits without stock as the liquid ingredient. And, I must admit, I am a frequent user of liquid smoke for that quick fix outdoor cooking taste when using a grilling pan and my Jenn-Aire stovetop. But, I'm thinking, I might be missing out on something here by not considering other flavor alternatives. As I prepare for my first trip to Penzey's I'd really like to know your thoughts and uses of flavorings, flavor bases and stocks and how you stock your pantry with them. :?: Thx.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: Flavorings, Flavor Bases and Stock

by John Tomasso » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:02 am

Jo Ann, first, a disclaimer. I sell these types of products in the course of my work.
Okay, that's out of the way.

IMO, there' s no substitute for making one's own stock, and that's what I try to do most of the time. But I have to say, it also is very convenient to have these products on hand for those times when there's no stock in the freezer, or one needs a quick flavor boost.
There are widely varying quality levels in these products, but the buying decision doesn't have to be made blindly. Price is a good indicator - if the product you are considering is $3 or $4 lb, it is very likely made up of mostly salt. These are still pretty widely used out there in restaurant land, though, I'm happy to report many operators are seeking better products.
Look for meat first bases; that is, meat being the first ingredient on the panel. Also, MSG and HVP can, and should be avoided.
Minor's has been mentioned, and I think they make a very good product. Knorr - Swiss also has, within their line, a few top end products that I would use in a pinch.
Custom Foods is the giant in the industry, but they do also have a top of the line base, free of msg and hvp, meat first, and not too salty. I don't believe they are available retail.
Then there are some designer labels, Culinart being one. They produce a very good veal demi, sold frozen, that enjoys acceptance by many professional chefs.
I wouldn't hesitate to use these products, though, as I said, there's nothing like home made.

I've not tried the Penzey's products, but if the quality of their other goods is any guide, I'm sure the stuff is top drawer.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:30 pm

Because I can never get good ingredients to make a fish stock I did buy Penzey's seafood base. When you have nothing else it is just OK - way too salty and that dominates the flavor at any quantity. A small amout will oversalt the dish with little/no seafood taste. It has been a few years since I bought it . Don't know if thy changed the formula. Have not tried their other offerings for stock.
I would love to have a source for a good seafood base.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:30 pm

Jo Ann Henderson wrote:I'd really like to know your thoughts and uses of flavorings, flavor bases and stocks and how you stock your pantry with them. :?: Thx.

I haven't tried the Penzey's bases, and of course going with a proper homemade stock or broth is best when it's convenient. I generally keep some frozen.

But I'll openly confess to having a half-dozen Minor's brand bases around: Beef, chicken, clam, fish and a couple of experimental flavors like ancho chile. I discovered them during the 1990s when (I believe) they first became available to the general public at retail. They were allegedly a guilty secret in a lot of restaurant kitchens before then.

I would not liken them to bouillon cubes at all. I do get a reasonably natural flavor from them, and if they aren't light on sodium or even MSG, that doesn't bother me. While I wouldn't overdo MSG in my own cooking, I don't get my knicks in a wad about it as an ingredient in prepared foods.

I consider them a decent shortcut, and don't feel that I'm seriously compromising quality when I use them.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:53 pm

I try to have my home made chicken and beef stock on hand, but come summer, I need the space for my roasted tomato sauce/paste. I keep the Swanson's on hand and some of the bases. I especially like Knorr Suiza Chicken flavor Bouillon for some of my Mexican dishes. I like the flavor it gives...way too much sodium, MSG, etc. The Penzy or Better Than Bouillon bases are a nice boost for rice and any other dish that needs it. Sometimes, fresh herbs just don't do it. We all need shortcuts in our cooking now and then......and when you do ....and get raves, who cares!