Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pasteurized Eggs

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Pasteurized Eggs

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:55 pm

I usually choose to live dangerously and simply use raw, unpasteurized eggs where raw eggs are called for. If I die from it, well, then the yolk's on me. Still in all, I am loath to subject my family and friends to the same dangers so I use eggs pasteurized in the shell every so often for egg nog, mayonnaise and other raw eggy delights.

My question is: Has anyone ever tried to pasteurize eggs in the shell at home?

The following excerpt is from one food safety education site which makes it sound pretty simple ... although it's probably cheaper just to buy pasteurized eggs.*

Whole Eggs Pasteurized in the Shell : Traditionally, eggs sold to customers in the shell have not been pasteurized. However, new time/temperature pasteurization methods are making this possible. Egg whites coagulate at 140°F (60°C). Therefore, heating an egg above 140°F would cook the egg, so processors pasteurize the egg in the shell at a low temperature, 130°F (54°C), for a long time, 45 minutes. This new process is being used by some manufacturers, but it is not yet widely available. Pasteurizing eggs reduces the risk of contamination from pathogenic bacteria, such as Salmonella, which can cause severe illness and even death. Pasteurized eggs in the shell may be used in recipes calling for raw eggs, such as Caesar salad, hollandaise or bé arnaise sauces, mayonnaise, egg nog, ice cream, and egg-fortified beverages that are not thoroughly cooked.

-------------------------------------------------
*But what's the fun in that? :lol:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

Re: Pasteurized Eggs

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:49 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:My question is: Has anyone ever tried to pasteurize eggs in the shell at home?

Not only have I not done it, I've never thought about and didn't know you could do that at home. I just get regular supermarket eggs. I don't use raw eggs, unless carbonara counts. I also don't fry my eggs solid either, I keep them soft in the center.