Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

A Babel Fish for international food terms

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

A Babel Fish for international food terms

by Celia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:56 am

Over the last couple of weeks, I've come to realise just how different food terminology is in different countries ! What we really need is a babel fish for food terms, but failing that, I thought it might be nice to have a thread that performed a similar function.

So let me kick off...can someone please enlighten me on what Bing cherries are ? My Mrs Fields Cookie Book refers to them, and I'm not sure if they're a particular species of the fruit, or whether they're cherries that have been treated in a particular way (like maraschino ones). Are they sweet, or sour ? Thanks ! :)

Celia
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

Re: A Babel Fish for international food terms

by John Tomasso » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:24 am

They are fresh, sweet cherries. Bing is the variety. Another you might see is Rainier.
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:17 pm

Thanks John !
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:57 pm

What John said. And they're popular because they're big, juicy and crisp with rich flavor. In color, they're a blackish dark red. The Raniers he mentions are white with red blush spots.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:22 pm

Really J ? I've never seen a white cherry before ! I have to google that one..

Thanks, Celia

Edit : That's astonishing, Jenise, I've never seen cherries that look like that before !

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial