Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Semmelknödel - traditional bavarian side!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

RCP: Semmelknödel - traditional bavarian side!

by Martin Barz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:48 am

"Semmelknödel" or bread dumpling is a very traditional bavarian side and a perfect sauce carrier. You could make it one day before and sauté the slices on Day 2. Or fresh cooked and cut in slices. My version is a bit modern, as the traditional dumplings are not easy to make. My version is fool-proof! BTW, a perfect side with my dish Rabitt with prune on a previous thread.

Ingredients (serves 6):

5 buns/white bread from the day before
250ml hot milk
3 eggs
1 onion
1 bunch parsley

Note: This is the perfect recipy to use old white bread and it could be also 2-3 days old. Normally, Semmelknödel or bread dumpling has the size of a tennisball, but you have to be very experienced to make it in the classic way. My way is easier and taste as good as the classic dumpling and you could make it 1 day before. The bread dumpling is a perfect sauce carrier.

View pictures and instructions at:

Preparation
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Semmelknödel - traditional bavarian side!

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:16 pm

Martin, your semmelknödel is in the family of what we would call a savoury bread pudding, only it's formed and eventually fried vs. baked in a big dish like a gratin. I actually get fairly similar results to semmelknödel by taking the leftovers of any bread pudding I made and panfrying patties the next morning which are then topped with poached eggs. My husband adores this breakfast! I came up with that on my own as a means of using leftovers, never realized that something similar, but more sophisticated with the preformed shape and slicing, was already a traditional side dish in Bavaria--bloody brilliant! I love that you're here and sharing your recipes with us.

However, I have to ask you to do something for us, and that's put your recipes in your post. We strive to build a trove here of recipes contributed by members. If you look at others' posts you'll see the word RCP in the title. That signals that someone's posted an actual recipe (vs. merely discussing a dish), and that means that later someone wanting to find a recipe can easily do so using the search function with the code "RCP". In your case, although we would absolutely prefer that you actually copy the instructions into your recipe (as and for the reasons Cynthia already suggested) for the sake of those whose computers aren't up to the task of chasing links, your recipes could still include a link to your slideshows, which are great, but I really do need to ask you to at least post the ingredients and as much of the basic recipe here as possible--it would be a shame to not have your posts and recipes available in our archives. I'll edit this post for you to show you what we'd like to see.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Martin Barz

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jan 20, 2008 5:22 am

Re: RCP: Semmelknödel - traditional bavarian side!

by Martin Barz » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:25 pm

Thank you Jenise, I will do this the next time! :D

Greetings from Berlin,
Martin
http://berlinkitchen.com
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: Semmelknödel - traditional bavarian side!

by Jenise » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:33 pm

Danke schoen!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov